Do moisture meters work?

the issue i have with this way of thinking is that it slows down growth, which isn't an issue at all in a fem, and actually makes it stronger, but with autos it's a big issue.

despite trying so much, i was never able to make this method work with autos.

no matter what you do, unless you're in a cup, if you saturate the pot like the guy did in the pics above, it will slow growth down. (unless you're using something like 60% perlite)

and it is shown by his plants, the don't look nice and green (just like mine), they look kinda pale...

Using my bathroom scale, I know the exact dry and the saturated weight of these pots. I placed these peat pellets, day after sprout, in the pots when they weighed 1 lb. less than saturated and don't add water until they get within 1lb of dry weight, then add water by the ounce/pound, with a 16 oz. condiment bottle in a circular pattern, radiating out from the drip line. This is functional for me and prevents watering too often associated problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_183622125_HDR_LI (3).jpg
    IMG_20200318_183622125_HDR_LI (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200407_145957459_LI.jpg
    IMG_20200407_145957459_LI.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
We say around here, Boy Howdy!

I think I might have gone through there once, on my way to an out of town job. We stopped at a roadside diner for lunch. Things got a bit confusing when the waitress came by and asked, "Y'all want a little ass in your tea?" Even more so when, not aware that I needed a hillbilly-accent to English translation device, I replied, "No, but if you put it in my lap, I wouldn't complain." Thankfully (it was near the interstate highway), she merely smiled and said that she heard that a lot.

I don't know why so many of us complain about the illegals not knowing how to speak English - when we aren't all that proficient at it, ourselves.

We say around here, Boy Howdy! There is so much marketing hype surrounding autos, it really annoys me. An auto is a plant just like any other and they follow the same rules... just faster.
the thing is, if you slow down growth in a fem, it's ok, but in an auto you're killing your harvest...

Hasn't ever not worked for me....(8 autos so far)
Same here. Have been using Emilya's watering guide with my autos. Done 16 of them by now (some not harvested yet) and they're all fine, with yields of between 60g and 90g per plant. From what I see most people are having success too, with this watering style.

For my upcoming plants, I'm going to try Emilya's modified watering scheme: The Proper Way To Water A Seedling In A Large, Final, Container.

@fatbuds420 : Re. your reply to me, I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble. I fail to understand how this would stun the plants and produce thumb sized plants, though. You must be doing something different from those of us who get nice plants (autos...) every time, or perhaps you were unlucky with some plants(?) Of course, in the end you gotta do what works for you :)

I have been using 1/2" wide chunks of cedar shingles, sharpened and sanded smooth that I shove down the edge of the pot. Is this method reliable??
If it goes to the bottom, good idea. Another method is to use a bamboo stake as a dip stick.

Same here. Have been using Emilya's watering guide with my autos. Done 16 of them by now (some not harvested yet) and they're all fine, with yields of between 60g and 90g per plant. From what I see most people are having success too, with this watering style.

For my upcoming plants, I'm going to try Emilya's modified watering scheme: The Proper Way To Water A Seedling In A Large, Final, Container.

@fatbuds420 : Re. your reply to me, I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble. I fail to understand how this would stun the plants and produce thumb sized plants, though. You must be doing something different from those of us who get nice plants (autos...) every time, or perhaps you were unlucky with some plants(?) Of course, in the end you gotta do what works for you :)
the only difference i could think of is that my soil retains too much water even with perlite, what's a good affordable soil brand that doesn't sponge up too much water?
and how much perlite should i add?

that's the only thing that could be causing this, my lighting is clearly superior to you indoor guys, it's called the sun :hookah::ganjamon: :sorry:

the thing is, if you slow down growth in a fem, it's ok, but in an auto you're killing your harvest...
why would it slow down growth?? Even successive uppotting can be done, since we all know that we can transplant with zero stress, and after an uppotting plants dont stall, they explode with activity. All this nonsense about autos is marketing hype, designed to sell an inferior product.

the only difference i could think of is that my soil retains too much water even with perlite
That's plausible. I have friends who have had seeds die due to too wet/dense soil. I'm using a cheap peat based soil with some added nutes, compost and perlite, not too tightly packed. Afraid I'm too much of a noob to give more specific soil advice.

You clearly have the lights sorted :laughtwo:

I used to dwell on watering and soil moisture when first getting into the hobby. I have since realized that as long as you water when the pots get light you will soon have a schedule that is consistently every other day if you have the correct pot size for the size of the plant. (Some plants are a little different and I just water less or more water depending on weight of the pot) The thing I wish I knew was to buy a quality BluLab Ph pen because everything else I used was really bad and caused me to chase all the symptoms thinking the ph was good when it was not.

do analog moisture meters work? has anyone tried them?
This is the Moisture meter that I use, works just fine for me. Very inexpensive and can be purchased just about anywhere. I wait until the needle is just beginning to touch "RED" dry markings then water as needed.

Attachments

• 20200606_120924.jpg
    20200606_120924.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200606_121919.jpg
    20200606_121919.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 22
This is the Moisture meter that I use, works just fine for me. Very inexpensive and can be purchased just about anywhere. I wait until the needle is just beginning to touch "RED" dry markings then water as needed.
damn, think i've realized my issue, i was always watering even when i was not supposed to, it feels dry to my finger, by the meters shows wet!

damn, think i've realized my issue, i was always watering even when i was not supposed to, it feels dry to my finger, by the meters shows wet!
That is very easy to do, and also why the weighing method is quite reliable. You'll soon become calibrated and know exactly what a dry bucket weighs - it becomes second nature after a few plants :thumb:

It's not like you have to be able to discern the difference between a half-ounce and a quarter-ounce. Water weighs something like 8½ pounds per gallon.

But whatever works best for you and your plants. Everyone has their own situation, setup, environment, abilities, and requirements. Some people don't bother lifting or probing - they wait until a plant just begins to droop, then give it a thorough watering.

do analog moisture meters work? has anyone tried them?
Mine works fine when it comes to knowing what's going on in the pot. I have one I've used for years. As Emmie said, it helps determine the water/moisture level, but you have to learn how to interpret the readings. I insert the prongs about half way down inside the pot. If it reads moist, I don't water. If it reads dry, I water. As for the pH and light meters, not so good. The pH meter is actually useless; the light meter is somewhat helpful, but really not needed. The girls will tell you if they're not getting enough light.

By the way, I have to say a big "wow" for MC. I'm just about to harvest my best crop yet! Huge, frosty colas. Grow 3 2020 Day 91.jpgGrow 3 2020 Day 91-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom