Do you foilage feed? How?

How do I foliage feed my plants in Veg?

First, remember when it rains outdoors, BEFORE it rains, it gets dark and cloudy and cooler too. There is always a wind or cool breeze first, too. So before you foilage spray and foilage feed your plants, (or just mist them with plain pH water) you should raise the lights up so they dont get wet and don't take a chance of them exploding when the cool water hits the hot glass. Also allow the grow area to cool some for a while, using an oscilating fan on High.

You can use any VEG nutrient to foliage feed your plants. I use 1/4 or 25% strenght for foilage feeding on plants with over 3 nodes and on clones. I use 1/8 strenght on baby seedlings or sprouts.

The best temperature is about 70 to 80 degrees when the stomata on the underside of the leaves are open. At over 80 degrees, they may not be open.

Let me repreat, raise those lights up high, out of the way.

Use a high quaility spray bottle, one that sprays a mist and not large drops.

Make sure the PH of your foilage spray is between 5.6 and 6.5.

To thin out the solution, and to make it stick to the leaves better, use 1/4 teaspoon of mild soap (IVORY) or dish detergent to each quart of water.

You should spray the tops of the leaves, and spray the undersides too, until the leaf is wet enough that the solution drips off.

Use distilled or filtered water to make your solution.

Only foilage feed in VEG, never in Flowering.

Why do you do it?

To provide fast and instant feeding through the leaves, which reduces stress on the plant.

To provide a quick fix for root-zone nutrient problems or for deficiencies; this allows more time to solve the problem.

To prevent excess yellowing on clones. They can't eat through the roots if they dont have any roots.

Because they love it.

How often do you do it?

I foilage spray them once a week, but I mist with plain pH balanced water as often as every other day if possible.

What do you do AFTER you spray them?

I again put the oscilating fan on High.

I leave the lights raised up high for 15 mintues, then I turn them back on. Then an half hour later, I lower them back to where they were.

Mr.Roseman..

Very nice and Informative Thread Brother.. I do the exact same thing basically,, except for one thing.. And I actually would like to hear your Opinion on it if you dont mind.. Maybe it is something you've already tried,, or if not,, you might think about trying it for yourself.. It actually seem's to work pretty good for me,, but it may just be my imagination.. .. lol .. ..
The one thing I do different,, is use Carbonated Water instead of Distilled,, And I even throw some Nutrient's in it every other time or so.. It has alway's seemed to kind of perk the BabyGurl'z up in my experience.. Of course,, in the past it was alway's on Soil BabyGurl'z,, but even now,, my BabyGurl seem's to LOVE it !! !!

Mr.Roseman..

Very nice and Informative Thread Brother.. I do the exact same thing basically,, except for one thing.. And I actually would like to hear your Opinion on it if you dont mind.. Maybe it is something you've already tried,, or if not,, you might think about trying it for yourself.. It actually seem's to work pretty good for me,, but it may just be my imagination.. .. lol .. ..
The one thing I do different,, is use Carbonated Water instead of Distilled,, And I even throw some Nutrient's in it every other time or so.. It has alway's seemed to kind of perk the BabyGurl'z up in my experience.. Of course,, in the past it was alway's on Soil BabyGurl'z,, but even now,, my BabyGurl seem's to LOVE it !! !!

In the past two weeks, I saw two different growers saying they misted with carbonated water. One might have been you.
So you say it works great? Then I am going to try it next grow.

I bought some Dutch Masters Gold Saturator and Zone on the recommendation of my hydro guy to use as a preventative for powdery mildew, apparently there are biologicals in there that will fight mildew.

But reading the info I see that the penetrator is designed for foliar feeding, it's supposed to help take the nutes you mix with it directly into the leaves. So I figured what the heck and I mixed up some nutes with the Penetrator in a quart spray bottle. I've got 18 plants going and I use about 10 oz per application. The plants have really responded and are growing at least an inch a day.

Roseman this may sound silly but please clarify for me. You turn the lights off, raise them up, spray everything, wait 15 minutes, turn the lights on, wait 30 minutes, lower the lights back down. If I was running my lights 24/7, I could do this at any time. If I ran my lights let's say 18/6, when would be the time to do this?

5 stars :nicethread:

Roseman this may sound silly but please clarify for me. You turn the lights off, raise them up, spray everything, wait 15 minutes, turn the lights on, wait 30 minutes, lower the lights back down. If I was running my lights 24/7, I could do this at any time. If I ran my lights let's say 18/6, when would be the time to do this?

5 stars :nicethread:

Although I am turning my grow lights off, there is still plenty of day light in the room, plus the other lights in the room are still on. While misting, there is still NO Darkness. And I only mist during VEG, never in Flowering.
so it wouldnt matter if you are on the 24/7 or 18/6 LLight cycle. Just don't do it in the extreme dark.

I would do it right in the morning when the lights come on. That way they have that cool morning rain shower and it raises the humidity in the room.

I think this is a great way to give your plants what they need. I will try it next grow. I am sure I will see plants that are a lot healthier.

I always mist my plants, I start misting my clones to keep them hydrated, to add humidity and to give them a helping hand, i do this twice a day. I have always been a foliage feeder. when there clones with no roots I mist them with ph'ed water and a little super thrive added. I had 6 cuttings taken with no love. just cut, put in a glass of water then brought over to my house and dropped off. this time just to test both misting and how well a bubble set up will grow roots, we used no cloning solution and just stuck them into rockwool cubes and let them live with my other plants and misted them twice a day, well i had 100% success with the clones and we are about 3 weeks from harvest on those plants. then once they start growing roots and are in the vegetation stage of there life i mist a few times a week with ph'ed water, a little super thrive and about a 1/8 of nutes. They responded very well and love the spraying and added humidity. plus it gives them a little bath and they always look very happy afterwords. once they start showing sex and start flowering i stop all misting. Thanks for this thread RM

I am sure it will work for both since like you said they do get rained on in nature. We do fear mold just have to figure out a way to get them dry fast. IF you duplicate nature as much as possible like we do with the lights it is always a good thing. We have limitations like you said mold but we do the best we can.

I'm all for misting in veg :headbanger::headbanger: Sometimes I would mist 3 times a day, they seem to like it. If the leaves start drooping a little bit I don't mist the next day. I also use some Green Fuse growth stimulator about every 3 days when I mist.

I always mist my plants with plain ph'd water, twice a day in veg. I also lightly foliar feed, twice a week. Not only does it raise the humidity around the plants, it also provides very helpful trace elements that the plants otherwise might not get(especially in soil). Here is a paragraph explaining effectiveness:

""Dr. H.B. Tukey, renowned plant researcher and head of the Michigan State University (MSU) Department of Horticulture in the 1950s, working with research colleague S.H. Wittwer at MSU, first proved conclusively that foliar feeding of plant nutrients really works. Researching possible peaceful uses of atomic energy in agriculture, they used radioactive phosphorus and radiopotassium to spray plants, then measured with a Geiger counter the absorption, movement, and utilization of these and other nutrients within plants. They found plant nutrients moved at the rate of about one foot per hour to all parts of the plants."[2]

Foliar feeding is considered especially useful for introducing trace elements, or for "emergency" feeding of plants which are found to have a specific shortage. But in some cases, with tomatoes, for example, it is believed that foliar feeding during flower set causes a dramatic increase in fruit production."

I always mist my plants. I started with my clones. A little super thrive and a dash of nutes. It really increased my survival rate and I don't get a lot of that early droop. After that worked I just started to mist my plants in veg. Just seems natural. :peace:

RM correct me if I am wrong. I had read to make the spray for that use only cause the ph and such changes in the bottle. If this is true you may want to add it on the first page. If not I will erase this post and put ooooopps.

Back
Top Bottom