Does anyone actually vent to the sewer?

marvel

I'm considering venting into the sewer system. It seems like a fine idea but I'm wondering, does anybody actually do this? If so, how long has it been working out for you?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on the safety and viability of such an idea. It seems so easy, I'd think everyone would be doing it, unless there are problems I've not thought of yet...

Thank you for the replies. I did read that thread and the initial post seems pretty positive about it. To solve the smell backing up problem, I had intended to buy or build a one-way valve; basically, a spring-loaded flap inside the vent pipe just before the sewer connection. The force of the fan would keep it open, but if the fan were to fail, the spring would pull the flap closed, sealing the sewer entry point.

My bigger concern is, where would all of the growing smell really go? Would it be overpowered by sewer gases by the time it got anywhere of interest, or is someone down the block going to smell it? Would the air being forced into the sewer system cause some problem for the city? These are the thoughts that really concern me.

The allure of the sewer system as a vent is that I won't need expensive filters to maintain. I would imagine the sewage would quickly overpower the grow smell down the line. But, like I said, I'm worried about being tracked down this way, and/or causing some problem for the city or my neighbors. I don't wish to cause anyone any harm with my small, personal grow.

Well, I have a charcoal filter and only three itty bitty little plants in bud and it's still smelling the whole place up. You'd think a $90 filter would be pretty darn good but it doesn't seem to be doing jack diddly squat. I'd like to know which filters are actually working for people, and working well, I mean really cleaning the smell out?

I made a cheap one for a small cabinet cost about 15 bucks works great for me check it out in my grow if you want.

About venting to the sewer...lol no one will find you this way.
1st the smells will drown it out.
2nd no one travels the sewers in search of smells the people that do go down there do their best to not smell anything.

If you look at any bathroom fan they have a flap that prevents back-drafts its required by code they don't block it 100% most are cheap and flimsy, but you can buy them separate and although Ive never had one in my grubby mits Ive heard they are much better quality. They dont need springs the pivot is a little higher than the center of the plate which means more weight on the bottom causing it to close when there is a draft or no flow in the right direction. I would use 2 of these and keep a backup fan on hand.

I would vent this way but my vent is no where near my grow.

one problem would be sewer gas backing up into your grow space or home.

That stuff can kill you more than one way.

I wouldn't do it.

Yuppers, nothing like a bit of methane to make things interesting.:grinjoint:

DD

I'm considering venting into the sewer system. It seems like a fine idea but I'm wondering, does anybody actually do this? If so, how long has it been working out for you?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on the safety and viability of such an idea. It seems so easy, I'd think everyone would be doing it, unless there are problems I've not thought of yet...

I have a basement grow and I had never actually thought about this. There is an old bathroom down here with a toilet. I think I may redirect my exhaust fan to the empty toilet bow (after removing the water). As with many sewers, it is not a closed system and there is about a 4" pipe coming out of my roof where the sewer vents out.

This may still make the neighborhood smell a little skunky but being a relatively rural community we regularly have skunks spraying the local dogs (and sometimes people) with their aromatic perfume.

Not sure how the big buddha cheese will smell yet, but high enough up should help disburse it.

Methane being a lighter than air gas will mostly vent up through the roof pipe causing a very slight suction on the whole system. Unless your room has a negative air pressure it is possible but unlikely that it will accumulate much methane if your fan goes out.

carbon filter man - sewer gets maintained once in a while some1 would be like wtf is this sooner or later, right?

So you think someone can pickout the smell of MJ over the smell of decomposing human waste...
Tell you what climb up on someones roof find the pipe coming out that smells like shit then take a big whiff and tell me if you could pick out the smell of MJ over that ;) lol

nope not the smell, obviously, the exhaust pipe... I don't really know how you would do that though... pull up a toilet and run a duct down the tube? hahaha

I was picturing like a duct poking awkwardly into the main sewer system somehow - but theres probbaly like 1238090488109 of them down there anyways lol

I currently use the vent pipe that goes through my roof and have been using that for about 15 years and never had a problem. I live in a very dense area.

nope not the smell, obviously, the exhaust pipe... I don't really know how you would do that though... pull up a toilet and run a duct down the tube? hahaha

I was picturing like a duct poking awkwardly into the main sewer system somehow - but theres probbaly like 1238090488109 of them down there anyways lol

Ah ok lol nah you dont have to stick it down there this is whats in the FAQ

Sewer vent

Basically just use the service port which is in the basement or lowest level.

I currently use the vent pipe that goes through my roof and have been using that for about 15 years and never had a problem. I live in a very dense area.

yes I love the heat, we're in the middle of winter! but I open windows in the summer - nothing to really worry about unless you're losing a huge heat signature and even then the chances are really low and essentially dependent on being incognito. stanky smell no good tho

Back
Top Bottom