Does anyone run a carbon filter without exhaust out

I edited my post before you posted. My edit was that autocorrect changed the spelling. I would not change a post to make you look bad. Honest, @Gadfly.

Another site, 4hydroponics.com they’re a grow supplier lists it as a configuration in they’re section on how to set up a can fan. I don’t think I’m supposed to post direct links to commercial sites. Easy google.
Growweedeasy also mentions just sticking it in the middle of the room.
I can find other references, if you’re curious you can too.

Possibly if I pumped CO2 I would get closer to perfect yield, but they’re are other limiting factors. Probably the light is a bigger factor.

Hi @Oldbear
:)
Thanks for the interest.
I live in the SF Bay Area and grow in a back room that has no insulation, no attic, drafty, crawlspace, etc. an unconditioned space. Almost outdoors:oops:

The lows at night will get into the forties or even the high thirties, in that room it’s typically 5 degrees warmer than outside. The temp will reach the dew point and stay there for hours before dawn.

I have a small dehumidifier that can keep the rh in the 60s if I don’t vent to the outside.if I vent to the outside, they will be soaking wet in the morning. I am very careful about mold so I take measures.

I run the lights at night so the tent stays warm, if I don’t vent. If I vent it, temps in the tent match the room, ie too cold. As I said I can’t afford to heat this room.

I don’t think the carbon filter works less well vented or not. I vent out in the summer when temperatures get too hot. I’d like a valve or flapper or whatever they call it, to make it easier to change the outflow or recycle.

Obviously it’s not an ideal space, but I call it home
:green_heart:

I never proposed anyone should change they’re style. I just said how I did it, with success btw, and asked if anybody did it that way and what their experience was. For that I’ve been told that what I’m doing does not work, my plants are sickly, my house stinks, I’m back editing posts, etc. I’m feeling really bad about this whole thing.
If y’all could come by and toke some of the weed I’ve grown in there you might believe it. Oh well, that would be nice.
:bong::passitleft::passitleft::passitleft:

I’m not making it up, why would I? If I let it vent out next time it rains, I’ll take a picture of the condensation and you might rethink your assumptions. Soaking wet plants at 48 degrees won’t thrive. That is a recipe for powdery mildew.

I’d like to bring up a point I feel was missed pertaining to the smell factor of your more than likely secret garden. Negative pressure in your room would be the only way to really get rid of the smell meaning air being forced outdoors....a lot of it.
The smell is removed by the carbon filter, not negative pressure. That’s the way the space shuttle works, right?

The smell is removed by the carbon filter, not negative pressure. That’s the way the space shuttle works, right?
I was going to leave it alone but you seem to be very thick and that bothers me for some reason. If my carbon filter didn’t exit directly outside my whole block would reak. The negative pressure not only allows the carbon filter to do its job correctly but also makes sure other areas of your house don’t get contaminated. It’s growing 101 imo. I think you posting these pics has made it clear to me why you have no smell issues in your house. FIRE herb grown right with hella resin reaks more than you could image. Take a walk downtown SC. That’s ALL you smell. You don’t grow fire herb with hella resin under your 300w led so smell is not an issue for you. But for the rest of us that grow FIRE herb that would stink up a city block it is an issue. Maybe one day you will want to grow fire herb, not complain about energy costs and take some of our advice.

I am not worthy. Have you tried my weed?
You must be joking, fire weed. How dare you.
I am on a budget because I am disabled. I prefer to grow outside.
These plants absolutely reek without a filter on.

I am not worthy. Have you tried my weed?
You must be joking, fire weed. How dare you.
I am on a budget because I am disabled. I prefer to grow outside.
These plants absolutely reek without a filter on.
Maybe better pictures would do your herb better justice and I got real with you because you felt you had to argue after asking for opinions and rejecting ideas that don’t coincide with your own thoughts

This weed compares very favorably to something in the 18-20% range from the dispensary.
And you insult me, I’m thick, huh.

I can’t afford to buy $30 for a seed and throw 1200w HID at it. I bred these seeds, at least the ones I’m growing now, so yes I’m cheap. I’m proud of the results.Actually I have two x 300w LED now Ive upgraded a little. Yay. Not up to your standards I’m afraid. Did I mention I’m on a budget? You have some nice plants, I won’t take that away, @Yerba428. I didn’t know you were so snobbish about them.

You think if plants are grown in a closed tent will not thrive? What is the basis of that belief? How much CO2 do a few plants use in a night? How many people grow with no carbon filter at all. I’ve done it, but not that fire weed.

Have you tried closing the system and sniffing? You say what would happen, that it’s so fire it would stink up the whole block. Did you try it?
Well I have, and I don’t appreciate the slurs.

I know what pot smells like, I live in Oakland CA. I grow openly in my backyard. Probably not that firestuff you grow. Did you ever try to fight off septorum.?

Sorry these pictures are up to the high standards expected. These are actually fire og, my backyard, maybe three years ago.

Anyways I didn’t want to grow indoors, I wanted to be a lumberjack.

I’m not snobbish I firmly believe in progression not regression that’s it. I firmly believe in not half assing anything ever. Here’s my outdoor guerilla plot still in veg and triple the size in less than ideal conditions so you can compare... On a budget as well...
FF0EE33A-5B85-4714-95C1-76BB211A123F.jpeg

Nice grow. I have a real struggle to get enough sun. We are famous for our cool foggy summers, you know. Everything has trade offs. I am not disputing that you are the king of fire.

Nice grow. I have a real struggle to get enough sun. We are famous for our cool foggy summers, you know. Everything has trade offs. I am not disputing that you are the king of fire.
I’m not claiming to be king of fire lol just have a good understanding of what this plant needs and if you want to progress you should listen to us and move the effing air through your room lol

If I vent out, the temperature drops into the 50s and the plants get covered in dew. Every night. I have done it. It’s a non-starter. Even if I wanted to I cant heat the room get better lights, get larger dehumidifier, none of that.
Has anybody tried a closed system. So far all I get is opinion and speculation. And name calling and bragging.

I’m not claiming to be king of fire lol just have a good understanding of what this plant needs and if you want to progress you should listen to us and move the effing air through your room lol
You can vent cold wet air into your tent. I won’t do it into mine.

There’s nothing half assed about my growing. I have a yard full of garden plants and I’ve been gardening for decades, through our droughts and fog. I’ve studied the material. I’ve read a lot of the Ca Master Gardeners book and a few Jorge Type weed growing books. I’ve got advanced technical degrees. I’ve also got cancer and it’s pretty expensive and limits some things I can do. This is very marginal climate for subtropical plant. I’ve been growing weed for 10 years but not your fire stuff. It gets me high and I’m no lightweight nor are my symptoms. And nobody has ever turned down a gift of my weed.

You’ve never even done this but insist you know how it will work. You’ve never vented into a cold damp room, and never recirculated the air without venting out. At least as far as I have read here. And yet you’re the expert and I’m hardheaded. Why don’t you try it and tell me. That would be actual information.

By the way, when some says “I’m not snobbish, I just don’t do things half assed” that’s the definition of snobbish.

Boatshoe because this method is not traditional, it my take a long time for someone who has tried it to find this thread and comment.

I can only think of one scenario regarding your setup. It may not be worth doing and only you can decide that.

That would involve connecting an intake vent to the wall or floor of a nearby conditioned space, and running a pipe into the tent. If you could put this near a ceiling, that would be best.

Then you can vent the tent into the back room. This should increase the air flow through the tent with those benefits, and also warm up and reduce the humidity in the back room.

This should give you improved results without needing any additional power consumption. You are already running the fan and lights.

Boatshoe because this method is not traditional, it my take a long time to find someone who has tried it to find this thread and comment.

I can only think of one scenario regarding your setup. It may not be worth doing and only you can decide that.

That would involve connecting an intake vent to the wall or floor of a nearby conditioned space, and running a pipe into the tent. If you could put this near a ceiling, that would be best.

Then you can vent the tent into the back room. This should increase the air flow through the tent with those benefits, and also warm up and reduce the humidity in the back room.

This should give you improved results without needing any additional power consumption. You are already running the fan and lights.

Yes that a good idea. I thought about venting from the grow area into the house. It’s too much for me to manage at this time. Even better would be to grow in my basement and the warm air would rise to heat the house, no venting. Then it would make economic sense to go to HID or such since the heat is fully reclaimed. The basement is too damp, part of it flood, otherwise it would be great.

Here’s another reference to a sealed room technique. You can see the diagrams are exactly what I do. I think you’ll see it used when leds get more popular and you don’t need to or want to vent heat out from hot lights.

Sealed Grow Room

Plus it’s wasteful to lose the heat. What about the planet, you know.

Here’s another reference to a sealed room technique. You can see the diagrams are exactly what I do. I think you’ll see it used when leds get more popular and you don’t need to or want to vent heat out from hot lights.

Sealed Grow Room

Plus it’s wasteful to lose the heat. What about the planet, you know.

Do you use a Co2 tank to supplement Co2 like they do in that video? I bet since you have a tent and it’s not really “sealed” and airtight, plus the fact you open it daily adds enough fresh air exchange to keep your plants growing. They sure do look good in the photos, so whatever you’re doing keep it up!

As for the carbon filter, if stinky air is flowing through it, it’s filtering. People run them like that in rooms to cutdown on the smell of smoking so I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work inside a tent. Although I could see it not being as effective in a closed loop like that.

:passitleft:

Bearings went on my old inline fan a couple months back. I ordered a new one but was forced to seal my tent at lights out with only a box fan circulating the air in the tent. 3 days, went from a potentially awesome harvest to an early mold induced harvest resulting in hundreds of immature seeds.

Just my experience, not a professional by any means. Just answering the original post.

That’s terrible. Sorry to hear that @Ganjagrowergu

:(

I have struggled with mold on my outside plants and lost a few. I’m thinking about using a systemic fungicide, preventatively just on the mothers. I have used Serenade, which is a bacteria, but it’s stinky. Also I have something called Organocide Plant Doctor which is a potassium salt and is supposed to be a good preventative. Non toxic, organic.

I haven’t used them yet because no sign of mildew inside in any grows. But PM is everywhere. Just waiting.

You were using a carbon filter? Did you have temperature problems or humidity problems? I wonder why it went to seed? Maybe the mold stressed them to hermie. I definitely control rh and temp and there’s lots of air circulation. Do you have mold problems in general?

Is that in your Sativa mess thread?

In my case, air vented into the tent from the room is more likely to have mold spores than inside the tent.if I had to be completely careful I would need to filter on the intake side also.

Back
Top Bottom