Does anyone run a carbon filter without exhaust out

Just because you haven’t seen it done this way doesn’t make it wrong. Are you trying to help? I read the top 10 hits on google about carbon filter, they all mention this configuration. Where’s your 5x air exchange reference? I cannot find any rationale... “everyone knows” is not adequate. And your tone is very patronizing, my friend.
I don't want to argue with you. I have been around grow ops for the better part of the last quarter century, and I have never heard anyone advocate for what you are proposing here. My tone is that of annoyance, in reaction to you failing to do your research and yet still wanting to argue with me even though you have been told by others also that you are mistaken.
There is no longer any rational excuse for ignorance. - Wee'zard

The 5x is a general guideline. But the premis is based on sound reason. Your plants breath....

Lastly, I checked black dogs website because I smelled a tad bit of turd. They don’t claim you don’t need to ventilate. They state you don’t need to ventilate or cool “as much as you would with other lights.”

They were literally the first site I got with google. Why would you say my post has the smell of a Turd?
I read at least half a dozen recommendations for this configuration. Did you look into it or just start throwing an opinion around and insulting people you don’t know?
Whose guidelines say 5x, that’s all I asked.
Actually I asked for advice from someone doing it this way. What I got was opinion on why I was doing it wrong, or worse, and insults, from a couple people who have never tried it, and don’t know what they are talking about.

I don't want to argue with you. I have been around grow ops for the better part of the last quarter century, and I have never heard anyone advocate for what you are proposing here. My tone is that of annoyance, in reaction to you failing to do your research and yet still wanting to argue with me even though you have been told by others also that you are mistaken.
There is no longer any rational excuse for ignorance. - Wee'zard

If my threads annoy you feel free to stay out of them.

I am always annoyed when someone is putting out bad information that could potentially harm people's gardens. I can not allow bad information to go unchallenged nor let new ideas go un-investigated. People are counting on the advice they get here for their medicine, and it is important to me to make sure they are not handicapped by some well meaning person with a bad plan and who is throwing out incorrect advice.
If you want to throw out an opinion on anything around here, expect someone to challenge it... I get challenged every day. Such is the nature of online forums. If you throw out a question asking for advice, as you did, expect people to answer. If you don't like the answers that you get, check your assumptions... you could be wrong. If the conversation doesn't go your way, don't pack up and leave and ask for the conversation to be deleted... pull up your big boy pants, keep an open mind, and try very very hard to learn from the others around you.

Why would you say my post has the smell of a Turd?.

Because you misquoted what they had on their website—intentionally or not—to make your point. I fixed it for you.

Did you look into it or just start throwing an opinion around and insulting people you don’t know?
Whose guidelines say 5x, that’s all I asked.

Well, I looked into it...again...for everyone that ends up reading this thread. Tent manufacturers like Secret Jardin suggest completely exchanging the air in your space ever 30-60 seconds with hid and 1-2minutes for led.

5x was a generous number to help steer your thinking. Instead of focusing on an exact number, maybe try understanding the overall message.

If you have anything that shows that a closed system is good for indoor gardening, post it. We’re all here to learn and lend a helping hand.

Otherwise my work is done here.

I’d like to bring up a point I feel was missed pertaining to the smell factor of your more than likely secret garden. Negative pressure in your room would be the only way to really get rid of the smell meaning air being forced outdoors....a lot of it.
Yes, it is going to start stinking around there big time... and I think that alone will force the OP to change his mind on this matter... that and scrawny sickly plants that are struggling due to a lack of fresh air.

When I first read your post I thought you meant you were exhausting the air from the tent back into the room and this is what I am doing. I find the filter works great and keeps my house from smelling and I am also recycling that expensive heat so it's a win/win for me. In the summer I will vent it outside due to temperature control for the plants and my family.
You can of course do what ever you want but if it were me I sure wouldn't be wasting my expensive filter if I were just recirculating the same stale air. You will end up with lots of odor once your into flower I'm sure. You have no negative air pressure right now so you are loosing out on the filter's abilities.

Good luck and happy growing.

You are the one spreading bad information, @Emilya. This isn’t my first rodeo either.

Give me one reference to your air exchange rule, and I’ll read it. I’ll give you two from equipment manufacturers describing this set up. Did you look? Show me.

I’ve grown many times in this tent without 5x air exchange. That’s pure nonsense. How is it better to flow 45 degree room air into the tent. How. ??? The room is 45 degrees, rh of near 100%. You think that would be better for the plant.
Pull up you big girl pants and show me your research.
Because you misquoted what they had on their website—intentionally or not—to make your point. I fixed it for you.

Well, I looked into it...again...for everyone that ends up reading this thread. Tent manufacturers like Secret Jardin suggest completely exchanging the air in your space ever 30-60 seconds with hid and 1-2minutes for led.

5x was a generous number to help steer your thinking. Instead of focusing on an exact number, maybe try understanding the overall message.

If you have anything that shows that a closed system is good for indoor gardening, post it. We’re all here to learn and lend a helping hand.

Otherwise my work is done here.

Sorry, how did I mis quote it? It was a copy paste. I’ll check again. It should be verbatim.

I can’t find anything on Secret Jardin on that. I believe they might say it, but clearly in my it is NOT the right way to grow. Are you venting into 45 degree room? How do you keep your tent warm. I would love to hear your method.

Yes, it is going to start stinking around there big time... and I think that alone will force the OP to change his mind on this matter... that and scrawny sickly plants that are struggling due to a lack of fresh air.
Now you insult my plants. You’ll hurt their feelings.

They don’t look sickly...

You’re welcome to visit my journal or my previous two journals.
:peace::peace:

Now you insult my plants. You’ll hurt their feelings.

They don’t look sickly...

You’re welcome to visit my journal or my previous two journals.
:peace::peace:
Your thinking conserving heat I get that but the air exchange is just as important as they all say it is.

What I do is heat the air coming into the room with a space heater blowing on the intake ducting. Outside air is 20-30 degrees right now. It is what it is. Wasted heat but your dedicating months of your life to 1 crop so try to make it the best you can right? I like to say you get out what you put in. I’ve done it the way your thinking and every other makeshift way.

I bred the seeds that I’m growing those plants from. They are beautiful.
:green_heart:
And I almost killed them with a ph mistake, but that’s a different thread.

I’ve grown pounds of cannabis in there and my house doesn’t stink, thank you very much. Mrs Boatshoe will attest.

I am done here. Life is too short and all that. Good Luck in your future grows Boatshoe, and I guess with all your rodeo experience you know exactly what it will start smelling like around there before long. Btw, I vent cold fresh air from the outside into my tent for 5 minutes of every hour... the temp goes down a little and then quickly recovers as the thermostat controlled space heater kicks in. I noticed a significant increase in buddage when I added the fresh air input to the system. The rest of the time, I have my filter and another fan pulling hot stinky air out of the top of the tent... and I am sure that I have plenty of air exchange with this system. During veg when the smell isnt so bad I can get by with running that exhaust fan for only 5 minutes out of every 15 minutes, but later on in flower the fan goes full time so as to maintain negative air pressure in the tent so that all the stink stays there.
Have fun Boatshoe, and don't for a second worry about how great of product and high your yields would be if you only could supply the fresh air your plants need... just continue to assume that are doing everything exactly right and no room for improvement is possible... sometimes it is best to just be happy with our assumptions.

I see no yield difference in the summer, when I vent, compared the the winter when I don’t.
Heating the room would work but it’s not feasible.

It’s amazing you’re all telling me that this doesn’t work and that my house smells. And I’ve seen it and smelled it myself. I’ve been growing indoors for three years like this. You’ve never done it, you’ve never been to my house, you’ve never smoked my weed. But I don’t know anything. Right.

Like the dude says, That’s just, like, your opinion man.

Sorry. I didn't read the whole thread before posting... Didn't mean to stir anyone's pots.
If this closed system works for you and scrubs the air enough for you and your family then that's all that matters.
If the shoe fits wear it.
I think I understand the conditions you are facing a little better now as well.
You have a chilly grow area that you don't wish to be heating.
The tent combined with the lighting keeps your temps good enough.
If you vent your scrubbed air out of the tent you are loosing the heat and sucking the cold room's air into the tent resulting in too low of temps.
So unless you want the extra expense of heating the room or supplement heating just the tent some way I guess you are stuck with a closed system.
I think I understand your situation. Happy growing dude.

Thanks for reading the posts to understand what’s going on, @Greenlizard
:high-five:
Happy gardening!

I didn’t even think this would be controversial. Never mind get insulted by some know it alls.

If I vent to the room, the plants will be 50 degrees and soaking wet. Believe me, I’ve done it. If I had to heat and condition the room it would be cheaper to purchase weed.

Here’s some granddaddy purple I grew last winter, same configuration. Very inexpensive set up, 300w LED draws 120w. Maybe they’re not to “full potential” but it’s pretty good weed and nice looking plants. They were topped and trained, here’s the bones before harvest. And my house does not stink.

Sorry, how did I mis quote it? It was a copy paste. I’ll check again. It should be verbatim.

I can’t find anything on Secret Jardin on that. I believe they might say it, but clearly in my it is NOT the right way to grow. Are you venting into 45 degree room? How do you keep your tent warm. I would love to hear your method.

Well you added that quote after that fact. I don’t even know what context that is referring to or what those circumstances are. You’re editing your post after the fact at this point.

This is exactly from Black dogs website on top of earlier posts I made about their advice:

“What NOT to Do

Your plants need fresh air, well-circulated air to thrive. Stagnant, poorly conditioned air is a sure recipe for disaster, so don’t be tempted to seal off your growing area to contain odors without providing an adequate fresh air and ventilation system. If you’re able to vent outside of your building, that’s the best choice for odor control...”

Look at their tents. It’s in the specs. I live in SoCal. Heat is my issue, not a cold grow room. I create negative pressure in my tent and vent old air directly into my home. Run the a/c in summer and open windows in cooler months.

Like I said in earlier posts, possible doesn’t mean best. If those are your conditions then it is what it is. If you’re happy, then that’s what matters. If I misunderstood what you were asking, my mistake. See how easy that is?

Boatshoe I'm wondering where your tent is located? The rh and temps outside the tent are pretty extreme.

I've been thinking about the closed loop (inside the sealed tent) scenario. My hypothesis is that your fan/fan speed and filter efficiency is such that it will reduce the smell in the tent to a certain point and then stabilize there. A dance between the plants producing smells vs the filter's ability to remove them.

Sounds like the level where it stabilizes, and the amount of smell getting outside the tent, works for you.

What is the temp and rh level inside the tent?

Back
Top Bottom