Does anyone run a carbon filter without exhaust out

Boatshoe

I am using the air filter to remove the delightful skunk aroma in my tent. It’s LED so I’m less concerned about heat, in fact I don’t want to suck cold air into the tent.
Is anyone running a scrubber without venting it out? What’s the downside?

Thanks. I meant that I run it in the tent without venting it outside of the tent, not outside of my house, if you see what I mean.
The unconditioned room that my tents are in is chilly, and humid, inside the tent it’s right. So I just run the scrubber inside the closed tent.
I have considered getting a tent with hot lights and venting the warm air into a small spare room that’s inside the house. I like that idea.

The flaw in your system is that you are not getting the recommended 5x air exchange per hour in your tent... Plants need fresh air as much as they need water but you are just recycling the same stale air. You are also wearing out a carbon filter without getting a lot of benefit because using it in this way it is not providing the negative air pressure in the tent that is needed so that the stinky air can't leak out. Filtered or not in there, I bet the house starts stinking like plants before long.

Those are good points, @Emilya.
Who recommends 5x exchange, I’d like to know more about that aspect.
There’s a lot of recommendations for no outvents, like at the black dog led site, they say

It isn't necessary to have the air being pulled through the carbon filter exhausted outside your growing area; depending on your setup it may even work better to have the filtered air returned immediately to the growing area.

Fresh air is important but I’m not sure how much co2 plants need. The tent gets opened up daily. We’ll see about the aroma, I’ve got a pack of skunks starting to flower. :drool:

Fortunately, fortunately I don’t have to overly worry about legal issues so super stealth isn’t an issue.

It’s a bit louder without venting, maybe a muffler will quiet it . I was wondering if anyone is using that way.

Those are good points, @Emilya.
Who recommends 5x exchange, I’d like to know more about that aspect.
There’s a lot of recommendations for no outvents, like at the black dog led site, they say

It isn't necessary to have the air being pulled through the carbon filter exhausted outside your growing area; depending on your setup it may even work better to have the filtered air returned immediately to the growing area.

Fresh air is important but I’m not sure how much co2 plants need. The tent gets opened up daily. We’ll see about the aroma, I’ve got a pack of skunks starting to flower. :drool:

Fortunately, fortunately I don’t have to overly worry about legal issues so super stealth isn’t an issue.

It’s a bit louder without venting, maybe a muffler will quiet it . I was wondering if anyone is using that way.
I was actually quite low in my 5x per hour... more like 20x is recommended. Pretty much everyone agrees about this, except of course your black dog led site...
Here is a thread from the archives on :420:
How Much Ventilation Do I Need in My Grow Room?

The 5x is a general guideline. But the premis is based on sound reason. Your plants breath. They may not have lungs, but they still inhale Co2, exhale oxygen, and reverse the process at night. Exchanging the air allows this process to go ahead efficiently.

Here’s a cool video

A human being can be thrown into a hot, poorly ventilated basement, only exchange air when someone opens a door, and survive. That doesn’t mean that they’re thriving.

Lastly, I checked black dogs website because I smelled a tad bit of turd. They don’t claim you don’t need to ventilate. They state you don’t need to ventilate or cool “as much as you would with other lights.”

This is a selling point—buy my shit because you’ll save on fans—not an endorsement of poor ventilation.

I don’t want to trash some specific vendor, just because I picked that out of the many recomendations for this configuration. They have nothing to do with it.
Go to many sites and you will find advice on this closed tent configuration. Sheesh, did you look? All I did was ask for one recommendation for air exchange rate because you mentioned it.
I asked for experience doing this way and you offered opinion not on point.

I can honestly tell you I’ve had to throw weed that I grew in the garbage because of mold, mildew, and other nasty stuff—poor ventilation. It Is good to question what you read here or anywhere. However, be prepared for a response.

Here’s an older article on ventilation.
Let them breathe! Cannabis and correct ventilation

I can find examples of people converting their old pc towers into a grow box. It’s neat, it’s possible, but it is not something that most people would recommend actually doing. I hope this makes sense. I’m high and I just want to help right now. Lol :passitleft:

I can honestly tell you I’ve had to throw weed that I grew in the garbage because of mold, mildew, and other nasty stuff—poor ventilation. It Is good to question what you read here or anywhere. However, be prepared for a response.

I have tales about mildew, my friend,
:rip:

Evry night in the back room, where the plants are, it will reach dew point. So, 48 degrees, 100% humidity. If I pump that air into the tent I cannot control temperature nor rh.
Venting from out is not feasible.
I am not sure why there’s argument. Have you set it up like that?

I am using the air filter to remove the delightful skunk aroma in my tent. It’s LED so I’m less concerned about heat, in fact I don’t want to suck cold air into the tent.
Is anyone running a scrubber without venting it out? What’s the downside?

When i get one i'll be venting it into the attic. I also have a cold room. i use a small space heater and have control over the temp now.

The 5x is a general guideline. But the premis is based on sound reason. Your plants breath. They may not have lungs, but they still inhale Co2, exhale oxygen, and reverse the process at night. Exchanging the air allows this process to go ahead efficiently.

Here’s a cool video

A human being can be thrown into a hot, poorly ventilated basement, only exchange air when someone opens a door, and survive. That doesn’t mean that they’re thriving.

Lastly, I checked black dogs website because I smelled a tad bit of turd. They don’t claim you don’t need to ventilate. They state you don’t need to ventilate or cool “as much as you would with other lights.”

This is a selling point—buy my shit because you’ll save on fans—not an endorsement of poor ventilation.

That is a cool video. They definitely have a circadian rythm. It really feels like there’s more oxygen in the plant room (there is).

And I don’t have anything to do with black dog, I just picked the at random. I don’t think they’re duplicitous. Pretty much every carbon filter distro says the same thing.

When i get one i'll be venting it into the attic. I also have a cold room. i use a small space heater and have control over the temp now.
This space isn’t under my attic, never the less I wouldn’t vent into my attic,just through my attic to outside, maybe you mean?
I can’t heat this room as you suggest, but yes that would work better if I could condition it.
I’ll have a pack and a half of skunks in flower in there, so we’ll see (smell) how it’s working.

sorry, just trying to help. I hope you gleaned from the various answers that hardly anyone does it that way... and that our answers were just trying to explain to you why. Believe what you will my friend... not my job to try to convince someone who has his mind made up. Good luck with your experiment.
Just because you haven’t seen it done this way doesn’t make it wrong. Are you trying to help? I read the top 10 hits on google about carbon filter, they all mention this configuration. Where’s your 5x air exchange reference? I cannot find any rationale... “everyone knows” is not adequate. And your tone is very patronizing, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom