Does deep watering in soil have to rot my roots?

I'm trying slowly to get more than a few dribbles while flushing a 5 gallon pot to runoff with 1 Gallon. 60ml at a time, I'm 45 minutes in and still have a quart to go. Theres maybe a 1/2 cup runoff so far. The outside wicks it right down if I get to close, not helping lol
I know it needs more to get a full soak, then "The Schedule" amirite? @Emilya

I had cut back not watering every day. Letting it set since Friday, and then the lite water in between. The pot was really lite weight wise. I apologize if it wasn't clear. Its sucked up almost a whole gallon so far and moisture meter is wet except for a couple spots.

I am at that soak for the first time, I copied this and pasted it here.

After the plant has gotten a couple of leaves and gotten taller, it will no longer swim around in the soil if given a lot of water, and it is time to get a bit more aggressive than the spray bottle can do... it is time to move to the watering can and a couple of cups of water at first, slowly soaking the.." past this..

To this next part now.

"When the plant's 3x diameter reaches the outside edges of the container, water the entire container slowly, to saturation (runoff) for the first time. It will take a week or more for the plant to use all of that water on this first round, but you don't want the plant to sit idle all of that time either, or it will stagnate. It is time to change the watering pattern again."

I'll water again Wednesday or Thursday

Every 3 days or so do a partial watering of the top of the surface, again with only enough water to soak in to the first 3 or 4 inches of soil. Two specialized sets of roots are now forming, the top spreader roots designed to choke off other plants and quickly gather up rain, and the bottom tap and feeder roots. You are attempting to water only the top spreader roots, while the bottom tap/feeder roots continue to work on the water sitting in the bottom of the container for as long as it takes to clear that first full watering.

You may have to do this secondary top watering 2 or 3 times while you wait for the container to dry out all the way to the bottom. Force the plant to grow the necessary roots to do this job by being patient, and the plant will eventually use all of that water. Once the lift method, a dip stick or a moisture meter tells you that is is finally dry down to the last inch of container, it is time to water completely again and repeat the process, while every 3 days watering the top, until the bottom finally syncs up with the top.

Every time you go through one of these cycles, the roots will get stronger and the time between complete waterings will diminish. Eventually the top and the bottom will sync up and you will not have to do the secondary watering any more, you will just be watering the whole container every 3 days"
Excited to get here.

Attempted these pics to show the water pooling and a fulcrum or tilt hack to direct the water to a more level spot to gently speed up watering. I just lift the corner of the bag with my fancy chunk of scrap wood and work my watering a little at a time like you.

It can be really exciting! Give yourself some wiggle room, it doesn't have to be exact, right, we are learning on the fly.
I am having a ball growing and learning about cannabis. I find as each new piece of info is put into practice I get more into it :nerd-with-glasses:
:goodluck:

I broke up my other harvested WW dirt and rootball..was not much tap root on any of them. The micro roots had made thick mats but nothing to get really excited about since I've had outdoors with tap roots a foot long/er and the rootball wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

Use the search feature & poke around the forum, someone is trying something or has listed the basics in an inspiring way. Just reading what someone with experience has seen can spare you headache or rage :laughtwo:
I might have already posted this, it is like a menu or instruction manual, check it out!

Use the search feature & poke around the forum, someone is trying something or has listed the basics in an inspiring way. Just reading what someone with experience has seen can spare you headache or rage :laughtwo:
I might have already posted this, it is like a menu or instruction manual, check it out!
Proverbial "Mother Lode" right there. You're a fine concierge Konk ;)

I broke up my other harvested WW dirt and rootball..was not much tap root on any of them. The micro roots had made thick mats but nothing to get really excited about since I've had outdoors with tap roots a foot long/er and the rootball wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

Lessons can be endless. Last pic lol This is my Plant #1 as a 3 week old seedling at 20 days and now. Wasn't thriving, right, I joined here because I went for it and followed suggestions. Jump in, there is support and the info is here somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom