Doozy's 2300W LED - 5x5 - Dinafem Seeds - 1st Grow

Have you got a vacuum system , to purge your shatter, to do amounts the setups are 5, 600 notes inc vac bowls/steel of course and sum action collect unused bute , shame not many people understand it and what's good, if I had patients in need I'd definitely invest in a top notch bunch of equipment. It's also so much safer to have around. What name bute do you use?

250 a zip in Midlands, is that just ordinary street punk as down here if good/top shelf over 300 all day every day. But usual street bags lucky if u get 2g for 20, but that's a lot of shit work, plus u have to start packing as most of these numbfuks wanna turf war ,
Just treat the elite , none of this my patch, or people trying to rob ya , like ur that stupid. Not my way to live, .

For me its £280 on the oz & 1.8g for £20. I can buy gold cheaper

This hydro business sounds way to complicated to me. Have any of you seen the oxygen pot ebb & flow kit that Light Addict uses? That looks good & not too complex, I think a system like that may be my next progression.

That's basic if it's an oxypot , they work great but u want RDWC no air stones, using spray bars to get very high DO rates , easy enough to build if ur a plumber or just really want one and your diy is sound. There are a few lovely systems but only in the USA, I think u would enjoy trying it out.

Gobbledy gook to me that mate, I like mixing buckets of nutes & top watering coz it's easy & fool proof. If I went full hydro I'd forget to check something or trip over the tubing. Something would go wrong regularly me thinks

Have you got a vacuum system , to purge your shatter, to do amounts the setups are 5, 600 notes inc vac bowls/steel of course and sum action collect unused bute , shame not many people understand it and what's good, if I had patients in need I'd definitely invest in a top notch bunch of equipment. It's also so much safer to have around. What name bute do you use?

Yeah i bought all the correct kit, 30ltr vacuum chamber, 3cfl pump, griddle tray, laser thermometer etc etc. It was about £500 for the whole setup... better off buying decent kit for that kind of thing imo.

I use Newport Butane, 250ml cans. I think i pay about £2 or just under for a can from fleabay if you buy a dozen at a time, which will last for ages.

Gobbledy gook to me that mate, I like mixing buckets of nutes & top watering coz it's easy & fool proof. If I went full hydro I'd forget to check something or trip over the tubing. Something would go wrong regularly me thinks

I have to agree with you mate, my own personal opinion (and it is just my opinion so i hope no-one takes offence to this) is that RDWC units have a massive fundamental flaw in that if one plant gets a disease, they all get it. Also, lest not forget that with separate DWC units, (as i've found out lol) the maximum amount of water you'll end up with on the floor of the tent is the maximum in the one res that you leave a tube in, cracks etc etc....so for me that was 45ltrs. If i was drunk and as you say, tripped over one over the lower level tubes in a RDWC and didn't notice until it was too late, with my size res's i could be looking at well over 200ltrs in the bottom of the tent, and even a Hydrolab isn't coming close to holding that in the bottom tray.... It's simply a risk i'm not willing to take.

It's not that i think DWC is better than RDWC at all, both have pros and cons, but for me here's no way i could ever leave my house for a night out knowing that i could have 200ltrs of water pissing through one of the ceilings. It's as simple as that for me really.

Although my units seem complicated, they are fairly simple if you just look at the fundamentals. Drippers on top, aerated reservoir below. All the other bells and whistles is just me tinkering, but really the basics of the units are a 60ltr storage box and a washing up bowl with holes in it. The rest is just an air pump and a water pump, and some tubing. No holes in the sides of the buckets at low levels, and effectively each res still needs to be hand watered.

It's not the simplest setup, but it's nowhere near as complicated as some. :)

I's probably something I need to look into in the future when hand watering becomes too much but for now I'll try & pick bits up here & there & see what's what :)

But if you use a chiller and pythoff , ive seems superb buds , and like all hydro u have to stay on top of it
it's the same using IWS systems . Glad uv got a good kit for clean wax , where did u get it ? Can u put a pic up, how much can you make in one session , I know u probably purge a couple of times , I'm doing blueberry for shatter but want the proper gear 1st. Not many people in UK take it seriously or understand the amount of top bud that goes in to it when you want 70+% ive heard higher levels but depends on ur bud to start. I 1st used sugar trim and it was pretty good , but a bit rough. Seems you have loads of toys to play with. Want to see what results u get with that much firepower ? Reckon it'll be a GPW as 1st grow.
ATB M8

All the kit stays at my mates house (who also grows but on a very small scale) as we do runs on his decking...it's much safer outside, but next time i'm there i'll get a pic of all the gear.

Amounts can vary, it completely depends on what you put in the tube to be honest. Trim through to colas will all get BHO, but various amounts. It's really hard to say how much you get from the tube as it always varies.

I'll purge it on the pyrex for as long as it takes to get to the right consistency/bubbles have stopped forming, then i'll put it in the vacuum chamber for about 16 hours to get proper Honeycomb, maybe even longer if it needs it :)

What i really want to do is find out about how to use Hexane instead of Butane, but i can't find a lot of info about it anywhere. Apparently that's the very best solvent for extraction.

Cheers mate, and i doubt i'll get a GPW for a least a few grows, but i'll keep my fingers crossed for a miracle! lol :)

Hey Doozy, have you cracked your seeds yet?

Got a family do to go to on Friday, which i was only made aware of at the last minute, so i think i'll pop them tomorrow, then leave them in the paper towels over the weekend....do you think that's a good idea? (i won't be in the house for at least 48 hrs) Or should i wait until i get back on Sunday?

It's all ready to go... :( gutted

20140827_221447.jpg

20140827_222252.jpg

20140827_222258.jpg

I usually soak in water for 24-48hrs then into kitchen roll for 48-72hrs. It all depends on the seeds how quick they are, fast ones crack & send a little tap root in 24hrs then 48hrs on the sky box & they have a big root.
Based on the time you're dealing with I'd say soak them tomorrow & leave on your sky box whilst you're away. One thing to note, when you put them in water they'll float so give them a poke after a few hours to make them sink.
Just as a fail safe and as you're new to germinating, wet some kitchen roll now & seal it as you would for your seeds then put it on your sky box. Check it after 24hrs to make sure it's not dried out. The water evaporates & sits on the top so you need to know you've got the right amount of water to compensate for it. Too much water & they drown, not enough & they'll dry out. :thumb:

Go & check my journal, something made me shout barsteward tonight

Genuienly gutted for Fluxy mate...that's a lot of effort for nothing, i hope it's not going to have an impact on the others long term You've got some lovely ladies going otherwise though, but i know it must be absolutelly gutting for you :(

I'll be putting them in an electric propagator which runs at a constant 25 degrees, do you think it will be ok to just keep them in there (essentially using your method just with the ramekin dishes rather than glasses) ....?

I'll basically be putting them in a bath of water around the ramekins, like a bain marie..

I'm a stupidly optimistic person so I was only pissed for a short while, now my optimism tells me I'll save her.

If you're using a propagator just make sure it's dark mate. Soaking them in the ramekins is fine but you've lost me with your last sentence. Are you going to use kitchen roll or just leave them soaking?
If you are just soaking them, then pop them in a few hours before you set & make sure they've sunk before you leave. They'll be fine over 48 hours submerged in water

Basically mate, the heated propagator with a bath of 25 degree water inside is just a version of your sky box, it'll keep the seeds inside the ramekins at a constant temp. I intend to do as you have suggested, i.e put them in the ramekins (in water to start with) until the seeds pop, then put them in damp paper towels inside the same ramekins (now empty of water) in the same propagator, covered in cling film, in a dark place, for the remaining period until i see the tap roots.

All a bain mairie is is a water bath surrounding a pot, so there is no water in the pot itself for the second stage, but the pot is heated by the water surrounding it.

With or without water, the inside of the ramekins, inside the propagator, will be kept at a constant 25 degrees, by the water surrounding them

Bit complicated i know, sorry i'm a bit bad at explaining it :p

Bain-marie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the theory at least lol :)

P.s totally think positive mate, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. Positive mental attitude!! :D

OK, so the other progress i'm making is with the soaking of the clay pebbles.

I've decided to use an external 90ltr res to feed the 5, 60ltr (actual fill level 45ltrs) individual res's, which i will aerate with a 20 ltrs per minute air pump and two air stones when filled with the nutes etc.

At the moment i'm using it to soak the clay pebbles and get them down to a stable PH (5.5)

Here is the method i'm using to fill the res (a smell attachment for a tap i bought on fleabay that attaches to a hose)

20140828_005821.jpg

And here's the res itself with the clay pebbles inside being filled with tap water

20140828_005924.jpg

As can be seen, after about 6 or seven washes the water is starting to look quite clear around the pebbles

20140828_005837.jpg

I'm using 81% Phosphoric Acid to lower the PH

20140828_010025.jpg

Now is the bit which i'll make a note of.

10ml of 81% Phosphoric Acid will reduce 2000ml (2lts) of water from 6.7 to 2.3 Ph

2ltrs of 2.3Ph water will reduce my res from it's original 7.2Ph (the pebbles made the Ph rise) down to 4.2Ph BUT, over the next 24hours the Ph rose to 5.5 and stabilised.

Right now, after a pebbles res change, the Ph is at a stable 6.7 (same as straight out of the tap), so i think i'll add 1ltr of the 2.3 Ph and see what happens.

I'll post in an hour or so with the results :)

OK, apologies that the images are sideways, but the first reading was at around 6.7Ph as so

20140828_012556.jpg

After adding 1ltr of the 2.3Ph it fell to just above 6.0

20140828_012715.jpg

So i added another 600ml and it went down to 5.5

20140828_012835.jpg

The point is, that from what i have learned so far, i cannot stress enough how important it is to not only wash, wash and wash again your clay pebbles, but also it is important to soak them for as long as you can. Preferably in a clear plastic tub.

I washed the majority of the 'dirt' off these pebbles about a month ago using the washing up bowls with holes in them (the one's i'm using as the top bowls in my setup) and a garden hose, but it was only after soaking them in a clear tub after that i realised they weren't actually clean at all. Just to let the water run clear through the bowls, or indeed a colander, (or cutting holes in the bottom of the bag of pebbles when you buy them, and running a hose through it as one of the Owd assclown mods on the UK version of this site recommended :bravo: ) will NOT clean them properly.

The second thing i have learned is that to stabilise the Ph of the pebbles takes over 24hrs. I read loads of posts saying to soak them for 24hrs, which is probably OK, but i read one singular post from a guy who said he soaked them for about 2-3 weeks while he was setting up his tent, and he had no Ph fluctuations at all during his grow. I have gone for somewhere in the middle, and i have to say, for the last 3-4 days i have noticed that the fluctuations in Ph have really calmed down a lot.

The next thing i intend to do is to remove the pebbles entirely from the external res and get rid of the 'silt' that seems to be settling in the bottom (which stays there when i use a hose to remove all the water when doing a change)

If i could give any advice from my limited experience so far, its to give ample time to prepare your pebbles. I personally don't think 24hrs is long enough to get them stable, so that in future they don't have an effect on the Ph of the res themselves, but we will see :)

And again, don't just poke holes in the bottom of the bag of pebbles and run a hose through it as some idiots i used to listen to advise, because it won't work. ;)

N.b This is much more important for people like myself who are using about 50ltrs of clay pebbles in their grow, than those just using very few, and smaller pots. Each of my units takes over 10lrs of pebbles, and has a top dripper running through those pebbles into the res, so the pebbles themselves and their Ph is very important, But if you use only a few pebbles this may be immaterial

Cheers :thumb:

GERMINATION TIME!

So i've taken the plunge tonight and decided to pop my lovely Dinafem seeds. I've done two of the Blue Hash as backups, and all five of the Blue Widows.

If they all pop/germinate i'll grow all seven until i get three sets of leaves, then grow the strongest five of the plants.

I'll be soaking them in water for the next 24-48 hours, then transferring them to damp paper towels (ala Skunny method)

20140828_024753.jpg

20140828_024816.jpg

20140828_024822.jpg

20140828_025145.jpg

20140828_025155.jpg

20140828_025202.jpg

Here we go!! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom