Doozy's 2300W LED - 5x5 - Dinafem Seeds - 1st Grow

Sounds good mate, I'll be watching keenly :) LA told me about some crazy light schedule for when in flower that's supposed to give great results but it has something weird like 21hr 36mins lights on in it for a few weeks.

He's just said this, I do two weeks during prime budding at 21.36 mins lights on and 12 hrs dark

I'm amazed I remembered that correctly :) My memory isn't as fcuked as I thought :yahoo:

Great set up Doozy. I felt like a pauper at a royal banquet looking at the pics. lol

Thanks man, and it's all about results! Hopefully it pays off but it's all just show at the moment. Fingers crossed the setup produces the goods :)

Sounds good mate, I'll be watching keenly :) LA told me about some crazy light schedule for when in flower that's supposed to give great results but it has something weird like 21hr 36mins lights on in it for a few weeks.

He's just said this, I do two weeks during prime budding at 21.36 mins lights on and 12 hrs dark

I'm amazed I remembered that correctly :) My memory isn't as fcuked as I thought :yahoo:

I'd be interested to know what this schedule is called just for my knowledge mate if you can remember. Thanks :)

Wow, now that really is interesting.

I'm going to just sum it up as the OP is a bit confusing and i can see how the thread might just go over some people's heads...

With regards to the flowering stage, it's the dark period that is important. An uninterrupted 12 hour dark period will eventually force the plants into flower. The reason that GLR works is because it breaks up the 12 hour dark period with and hour of light and thereby keeps the plant in veg.

So if we know that a plant needs a 12 hour dark period during flower, and we begin to look at hours as just a measurement of time rather than as part of a day or a week, we can begin to look at increasing the amount of time the lights are on for during flower, in an attempt to increase yield.

It seems as if there is no conclusion in the thread as to how much light during flower is too much,but the inference is that running a cycle of 14/12 during flower, or 16/12, 21:36/12 or perhaps even considerably more, could have a dramatic effect on yield.

Again, the principal is to discard the concept of 'days' and look at the hours as units. As long as the plant gets it's regular 12 units of dark per cycle, increasing the units of light won't damage the plant and may improve the results.

This can be done relatively easily with a seven day digital timer.

At least that's the theory, i'd love to speak to someone who has actually tried it and seen results, as i might be interested in running something like this myself. :)

You've got it correct mate :) I'm not aware of anyone who's used it. I dunno if LA has tried it or not but I did ask him why 36minutes & this is so it goes full circle & you keep the times of on/off the same once you've done the long light period that you had before you started it.
I'll definitely try it in the future but I need to have lots of jars of buds to smoke before I start experimenting

interesting idea to use a 5 x 5 green LED net lights set for illuminating the dark period when work is required. I have been using a green light bulb and green headlamp during the darkness phase when work is required.

interesting idea to use a 5 x 5 green LED net lights set for illuminating the dark period when work is required. I have been using a green light bulb and green headlamp during the darkness phase when work is required.

The only issue with it is that it has about 8 different settings...like 'fade' 'sparkle' 'half on half off' etc, which are controlled by a little box, and every time i switch it off, it resets back to the first setting and i have to cycle through to 'constant all lights on' setting again.

I mean it's really no big deal, but if i was an electrician i'd just take the box off as it's a bit annoying.

The coverage and brightness is good though, so that part i'm pleased with, although i may get a green head torch also for the latter stages, particularly inspecting the bud (if i get that far lol, fingers crossed )

So i think i might need a bit of help here.

The problem i have is that i don't want to put the plants into the large DWC units prematurely, but conversely i dont thuink the heated propagator seems to be doing the roots much good.

The propagator is on and the temp at the roots is 25....too hight i know so shall i turn it off?

One of the seedlings has a very small brown patch on the tip of one of the cotelydon leaves -

P1150207.JPG

And upon inspecting it it's the only one that has a very pronounced protruding tap root

P1150213.JPG

P1150221.JPG

P1150223.JPG

I must admit i have put a tiny (literally 3 drops per litre) of Rhizotonic in the water, but i've stopped that now and stuck with 5.8Ph plain tap water

All the other plants look fine, other than Sneezey, who's basically been a bit of a gimp from day one.

I've put a layer of pebbles in the bottom of the propagator to shield the emerging roots from the light...

P11502261.JPG

But the question is, should i just transfer them into the bubblers sooner rather than later so when the roots do hit the water it is at least aerated? And if not, should i turn the propagator heat off now?

Tent temp 26.6 (80 f), humidity 50%.

Thanks in advance

You have enough heat in your room to turn it off now mate & you don't want to cook the roots. I also find that once they get their 1st set of leaves that it's safe to have them in open air so it's your call what you do.

One of the seedlings has a very small brown patch on the tip of one of the cotelydon leaves

Dont worry about that. They aren't real leaves. More of a protector than anything. They will fall off and Die soon. Thats probably what you are seeing.

But the question is, should i just transfer them into the bubblers sooner rather than later so when the roots do hit the water it is at least aerated? And if not, should i turn the propagator heat off now?

Transfer as soon as roots emerge from peat or coc pellets that you are using. Letting them grow into the hydroton that is in the propagator will make it very difficult to transplant later on after they have grown through it a little. Yes turn the heater off. Roots like the temp in the mid 60's in a hydroponics setup.

Hi guys,

Just a quick pictorial update of the babies. So far five of the plants have really stood out as the strongest, with the sixth just looking slightly weaker, and plant number seven basically just looks like it's given up already!! I'm sure i'd be able to get something out of it if i tried, but with only 5 of the 7 dwarves going into the bubblers it looks like Sneezey is fast approaching the bin!

Anyway, here are the 5 front runners after almost exactly 7 days from seed -

P1150243.JPG

P1150237.JPG

P1150238.JPG

P1150239.JPG

P1150240.JPG

And here are the two that might not make the cut. As you can see, one of them is actually pretty good, fine in fact, but Sneezey in the last pic just doesn't seem to be happy at all, and hasn't been right from day one. Just a bad seed i suppose!

P1150245.JPG

P1150246.JPG

P1150248.JPG

Thanks for looking,and does the progress seem ok so far? They're not the biggest i've seen on-line after 7 days from seed, but they're definitely not the smallest either, and one thing i can say is the look and feel really strong, as if they are bulking out every day in the stems and leaves. I'm also glad they haven't stretched as the light is around 16" above the plants.

Hoping for a second set of leaves to come through by the weekend, fingers crossed!! :)

Everything is A-OK Doozy, all seeds are not created equal so don't bother comparing with anyone elses mate. I'd also raise your light a touch. 18"-24" is the best distance I've found with the Mars :)
The two that don't make the grade, can you not plant them outside anywhere? They'll go into flower pretty quick as we're down to 13 1/2 hours daylight so you might get some little buds in 2-3months.

Cheers mate, yeah i'll probably just plonk the two leftovers in the ground somewhere and hope for the best, it's not like i'll be losing anything by doing that so might as well.

Btw, temps are currently at around 26 (80f) and humidity at 50% inside the tent, i'll raise the light a couple of inches as you suggest.

I'm still not 100% sure as to when to transfer them into the bubblers, but i've read that it's best to do this once they are showing 2 or 3 sets of leaves so i think i'll wait at least another 5 days to a week, unless anyone disagrees. I know they will be happier in the bubblers but i just don't want to rush into it and risk them getting 'shocked' or whatever, so i think maybe wait until they're a bit more established.

It's good to keep a journal as it does show that there has been growth, even when you don't think there has! The problem with looking at them all the time is you don't really notice it day to day! As i said though, they do seem really strong so that's a good thing.

I think i'll give them at least another 48-72 hours in the tray and pots and assess the transfer into the bubblers situation then.

Cheers :)

I'm not the man to help with the bubbler direction really. If they were mine I start them in root riots as you have but the plugs sit in the root riots plastic cup tray thingies & I move them into soil or coco when there are plenty of roots sticking out of the plugs. I pay no attention to how many leaves they have. I'd say you need to adapt that theory to your bubbler, if they have enough roots to allow the bubbler to feed them then that is the time to move them. Hopefully a hydro guy will chip in with a better answer but if not, that's my advice :)
I agree a journal is a great way to keep track on how they are doing, I've never taken any notice of how I grow & just do everything on the fly with no records. Since doing my journal I now have something to look back on & check stuff

Soooo, i decided to transfer them last night. I figured that they will have the same environment in the bubblers as in the tray, but better.

Anyway, i'm very happy with the result, although it took ages to fill the res's and balance each Ph.

Here is a pic if the roots i found -

P1150252.JPG

And after about 18 hours here is the results....they seem to be loving it!

P1150257.JPG

P1150258.JPG

Fingers crossed! :)

Back
Top Bottom