JakeWilde's OG Cheese - Clone First Grow - 150W HPS - Soil

JakeWilde

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new here but I have studied the forums and tried to answer all my questions with all the great information already on the site. I'm sure I will have some more questions as I get this op started. I grew outside long ago before and during the 80's to a decent level. This is a different ballgame and I'm loving the science of it.
I did a bad first grow with limited equipment so I pulled it and got some more stuff.

150W HPS Sun Systems
6 2700k 900 lumens cfl /optional
6 6500k 1600 lumens cfl /optional
24x32x64 GenevaBarns Tent
6" 250 cfm inline exhaust fan
6" duct
6"x24" Carbon Filter
2 4.5 Gallon Pots
Fox Farms Ocean Blend soil.
General Hydroponics suite of nutes and PH kit

I could get very little info about the OG Cheese from the dispensary kid. It has 17% to 20% THC and a short flowering cycle compared to the others (55 days)and is considered an easier grow than many of the strains they did have. I wanted something that isn't going to throw me in fits and this seemed like a hardy strain according to many minds better than mine. I bought two clones and already planted them in the 4.5 gallon pots.

I have everything mostly set up, but a couple socket sets for some cfl fillers is still on the way. 77 degrees F in the tent with everything in there and my new girls look very much at home.
grow55.jpg

I fed the girls after planting them with a light solution of nutes. I have a reservoir I'm using for tap water that I leave airing for chlorine evaporation. I'm making sure my water containers air for at least two days before I will add nutes, test ph, and use for watering. Most of the experts here said 2 days is sufficient after I surfed a few pages with that information. I hate to have to use tap water, but I guess we use what we have available.

I was going to just water them today with ph balanced water. I see a lot of conflicting information on this, but that it won't hurt my girls. I'm more worried about a successful grow than being fancy, I can worry about technique after I can get a successful grow under my belt.

Have a great day!

I wanted to list nute levels I was feeding with. I applied this amount yesterday to a gallon and fed both almost a half gallon.

5 ml BioThrive
5 ml CaMg+
5 ml BioRoot
3 ml BioWeed
5 ml BioMarine
5 ml Diamond Black

Today I am giving them water plugs that is straight 2 day aerated tap water ph balanced to near 6.2 to 6.5. The soil is moist but not too wet. I tested the PH of the run-off water and it has tested close to 6.5.

They show no sign of shock from transplanting and both girls are standing tall.

Yeah thanks, I'll just be doing straight PH balanced water until they're rooted and showing growth. They still look great though with no burn. No watering today, I was reading the "less is more" post on watering and decided to let it get a bit dryer before I give it anymore.

Also I was reading a post on mites due to over watering. The soil was a bit moist on the top layer so I worked it a bit to help dry it out.

Everything is looking superb. I think they already show a tiny bit of growth, but I'll wait for pictures tomorrow to compare. Thanks for your input bro. I'm a bit scared of messing this up so I welcome any advice.

Thanks! I am still looking at threads on the best methods to suit my grow. I'd sure take suggestions and I do have a friend that is a very experienced grower coming over to check out my setup today.

Day - 7
With light watering and PH balanced water, they seem to be doing very well. The leaves are still deep green in the older leaves and a good green on the new growth. Sorry for the dark first photo.

both-day7.JPG

plant1-day7.JPG

plant2-day7.JPG

Day 10

I did a light feeding this morning. A friend did a small bit of topping on Day 8 as I watch closely. He told me to train it as it grows and check out the advice on this site. It doesn't negate the fact that you feel like you're hurting your plants without knowing what you're doing with a bit of confidence. He was surprised when he saw them though. I don't think he expected them to grow that much in a week.

Both-day10.JPG
plant1-day10.JPG
plant2-day10.JPG

Crazy to see how fast they grow in such a short time. You can go ahead and top again if you want to keep them bushy and to create more bud sites. They're looking healthy, green and beautiful. The only area of concern is with some of the leaves looking darker green and a bit wilted. When the leaf tips curl downward, that's usually a sign of too much nitrogen. Span your nute feedings and waterings out a few extra days and that should take care of the curling. Other than that, great job so far!

Thanks man. I did a back to back feeding to see how they would weather it. They got water only today and that should get them back to being frisky.

I was looking at the super cropping with bending branches, but not really breaking them. If I do FIM some more, it won't hurt anything going into flowering soon? This OG Cheese is a fast cycle at 55 days so two guys at the dispensary said 21 to 22 days vegging and use the rest for flowering.

Thanks man. I did a back to back feeding to see how they would weather it. They got water only today and that should get them back to being frisky.

I was looking at the super cropping with bending branches, but not really breaking them. If I do FIM some more, it won't hurt anything going into flowering soon? This OG Cheese is a fast cycle at 55 days so two guys at the dispensary said 21 to 22 days vegging and use the rest for flowering.

I haven't done super cropping yet, but plan to do that to at least one of my plants during my next grow. Apparently, it's a great way to train your plants to produce bigger, better yields. I've seen some vids and journals about it so I'm anxious to try it out. You should pick between FIMing or super crop. Doing both too close to one another could stress the plant out too much so better to be safe. Also, you can veg for as long as you like depending on what you're looking for and the size of your grow room. You definitely don't have to stick with the 21-22 day rule they gave you, but when they say a "55 day cycle" I'm assuming they're referring to its flowering period before harvest

They explained it to me that it is the growth cycle and flowering combined albeit was a kid that didn't seem very intellectual. The OG Cheese is the fastest growing plant they had. The rest were 65 to 75+ days.

With those times being arbitrary really, I'm pretty much having to grow to the space. I have about 18 to 24 inches left for height with losing some height for the light. I FIMmed them and am staying away from super cropping. I wanted to try SCROGing next grow.

If I did flower them for 50+ days, which is how I thought it was supposed to be also until the kid said something, how much upward growth can I expect? A friend told me at least a foot and my outdoor ones in the 80's well they used to be huge.

So I'm pretty much growing to the space more than using any arbitrary schedule. Watering is according to the plants and not a schedule either. I was already leaning to letting them veg longer, but I appreciate the help man. I need it!

They explained it to me that it is the growth cycle and flowering combined albeit was a kid that didn't seem very intellectual. The OG Cheese is the fastest growing plant they had. The rest were 65 to 75+ days.

With those times being arbitrary really, I'm pretty much having to grow to the space. I have about 18 to 24 inches left for height with losing some height for the light. I FIMmed them and am staying away from super cropping. I wanted to try SCROGing next grow.

If I did flower them for 50+ days, which is how I thought it was supposed to be also until the kid said something, how much upward growth can I expect? A friend told me at least a foot and my outdoor ones in the 80's well they used to be huge.

So I'm pretty much growing to the space more than using any arbitrary schedule. Watering is according to the plants and not a schedule either. I was already leaning to letting them veg longer, but I appreciate the help man. I need it!

I could see autoflowers finishing between 50-65 days from seed to harvest. Since your space is limited, I'd consider flipping them now because they're going to double in size during the stretch period. You could also do some serious LSTing by tying down the branches to the pot which will help reduce height and force the plant to grow horizontal instead of vertical. That's a great way to still yield a good amount in limited spaces. Just depends on if you want to veg for a 1-2 weeks more for training or just get into flowering

Back
Top Bottom