Droonk's First CFL + Purple Kush Grow

Droonk

I have been reading alot about CFL's and the ups and downs of them and I have decided to try my luck with them. I used to have a Sun Systems (I believe thats the name) grow box but it was rather large, loud and created LOTS of excessive heat.

My goal is to be self contained, create my own clones in this veg box, grow them up and switch them over to the flowering box.

Lets start off with the box that I have created for veg, it is a small rubbermaid flipped upside down and lined with metal ducting tape to act like a hood. Lights include 1x 42w 2700k CFL (2600 lumens) and 2x 23w 4100k CFL (1600 lumens ea). A total of 5800 lumens using 88w.

For ventiallation I have used a small 12v computer fan controlled by a Rheostat, as well I have a small fan inside the box for flow and to promote good stalk structure.

DSCF2758_Medium_.JPG

I was given about 12 Purple Kush clones, they were almost dead and been sitting in a box for 2 days so they started to go into flowering cycle, boourns. So I took 8 of the best looking ones, trimmed them all up the same height, prunned all the horrible looking leafs off, and cut off some of the roots just before planting them. Got them in the soil and hit them with Marinas Sea Weed extract, within 6 hours they all perked up.

This was 3 days after I planted them. They started to sprout new growth.

DSCF2760_Medium_.JPG

Unfortunately they started to not look so healthy the last couple of days, I hit them with a small amount of 20-20-20. After I did that I thought I better look for critters. Sure enough SPIDER MITES!!! GRRRRRR!!! I hate these damn things. So I am on day # 2 of my Spider Mite cure. Im hoping by tomorrow they will have a clean bill of health.

I also noticed the edges of the plants were starting to burn so I could possibly have started to nute burn them so I flushed with some epsom salts.

So far I have around $80-$100 in material and I have started the construction of the veg box. :thumb:

Running 18-6 lights for veg. Day time is at about 74-78 degrees and night time is around 50-55 degrees. Are these ok for temps, i think the night time might be a little on the low side.

Hi Droonk, you sound like you have the right attitude and your thumb is shaded green. It depends on who you talk to but it seems that 79 is the optimal day temp with night dropping down to mid 60's.

:goodluck:

Thanks man! Mid 60's, alright. I think when I get this thing on top of the flowering box that the heat from that one will bump this one up. For now I will just have to wait. Im gonna go out into the shop and build the base for the flowering box.

Just got back from the shop :ganjamon:

Lights came on about an hour ago so I thought I would see how my assault is going. Looks like I am getting a pretty good kill rate. So far I have sprayed once last night, and 2x today (1 time about 30 minutes after lights shut off, then another time about 1 hr when they were going to turn on). They were covered in them :( But good thing I got at them before the REAL damage could be done.

Here they are as of 1hr ago

DSCF2765_Medium_.JPG

Shiny :rofl:

DSCF2766_Medium_.JPG

Here are a few more shots of the veg chamber

DSCF2767_Medium_.JPG

DSCF2769_Medium_.JPG

But the main reason I went out there was to get crackin on the flowering box

DSCF2771_Medium_.JPG

DSCF2772_Medium_.JPG

DSCF2770_Medium_.JPG

:headbanger:

20" width x 30" depth. Insulated and on casters. Time to build the sides and the top tomorrow if the weather holds out

Added some potting soil to the dirt I had in there. Changed the 1x 42w 2700k bulb for 2x 4100k @ 3200 lumens. Even out the light spectrum in veg cycle and now have 2 42w and 2 23w bulbs for the flower chamber for a total of 8600 lumens so far.

Mite inspection looks good. I did one more spray on the night cycle today. Looks like lots of dead carcasses. The girls have perked up quite a bit since I rid the pests. woot!

Long time no update.

What a process to try and get this going without killing the plants due to heat, light or bugs. But alas, I feel like I have made headway. So my last update was at the begining of December, and here I am at the begining of Feb. 2 months almost to the date and this is what is going on:

Created a flowering box to compliment the veg chamber. I was going to make it out of wood, but both of these boxes fit on the insulated cart that can move around. This also allows me to build my shop bench around it when I get to it.
DSCF2789_Medium_.JPG

Specs are similar to the grow box, cept different light spectrum bulbs (2700k). Now I screwed up and put 2 of the 42w bulbs in and they almost killed off the plants. These light are TOO POWERFUL for this small of space!
1 vent and 1 air circ computer fan. Inside is lined with metal tape (just the piece that lifts off).

DSCF2790_Medium_.JPG

3 days into veg. keep in mind that these suckers have been abused trying to figure out what works best. very healthy roots when I replanted. Will trim up in the next couple of day.

DSCF2792_Medium_.JPG

6 PK with multiple nodes

DSCF2791_Medium_.JPG

DSCF2793_Medium_.JPG

Veg chamber. 2 small moms. Just took 10 clones off of them today. Used Wilson's root gel when took the clones. Hopefully will work.

DSCF2794_Medium_.JPG

DSCF2795_Medium_.JPG

So far this is a learning experience with the CFL's. Definately have learnt alot and im hoping my next batch is more successful. I started out with some crappy plants and have managed to nurse them back and create a system. Im happy =)

Even with the amount of soil that I have? Its a good 8" deep of soil and alot inbetween each plant. I did it this way due to temperature in the roots. I found that when I did it in individual containers the roots were too cold during the winter months (Concrete floor, sub zero temps). But this is all based off my last grow box.

I'll try individual containers next time around, I would think you would want the roots to spread out more.

Hi Droonk

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom