Drying/curing with Boveda packs?

Bud Good

I want some experienced input on this before I try it. My intent is to get a large storage container, 30-40 gallons or so, and install a drying rack in the middle. From the rack I will suspend a number of the large (about 3"x5") Boveda 62% packs on alligator clips. I have let them sit out to the point that there is very little gel remaining and they're all crusty around the edges. I currently have six packs but can certainly buy more. I'm expecting to have maybe 4-6 oz dry weight, certainly not more than that. I will install two small PC fans, one in a lower corner blowing up, another in the opposite corner on the top blowing down to get air circulating throughout the container.

I was also considering a small thermoelectric dehumidifier, but I don't know how accurate the humidity sensor would be. Perhaps using the Boveda idea above and using a small dehumidifier set to 70% or so as a safety measure?

The reason for this is my work hours - I would have to leave jars sealed up for about 14-16 hours some days, which I believe may be disastrous.

Any input on this or other ideas for drying that I could check on just once per day?

I document how I do it in my journal. I have a few things I change here and there but basically follow that and you are good.

In summary you burp them in the containers until stable at jarring humidity then you jar them. When you do it right you don't need boveda packs but it is much easier to get great smoke by using the packs. And they are cheap.

VI's - Subcool Based - 2 Worm - Multi-Strain - Mother Hunt - 2016

But check out the post higher up the page about testing Hygrometers first.

Do not jar early they will mold even with the packs. But with the packs you can jar a bit late and be fine.

:goodluck:

And you CAN recharge spent Boveda packs. Get a large jar. I use empty mixed nut jars. Put a small plastic cup inside the jar. Add water to the cup. Insert the spent Boveda packs between the cup and the jar wall. Cap tightly. Leave sit a week, till the gel rehydrates.

I use distilled water and the above method to recharge the packs.

Right now I have the opposite problem with too much rain outside. I am keep it in my wooden stash-box. The box is a little dry, I have about a gram of dried flower in it at the moment.
inside this here box.....
IMG_304315.JPG

Back
Top Bottom