Boveda Pack Question

Koolbudz

I have quart masons with 1/2-3/4 oz per jar which moistened up when put into the jars after dying. I bought 8g packs for each jar.....

My question is if not burping jars how will humidity come down if inside jar started at 70 and the 58% Boveda pack was added, the pack absorbes the excess moisture but in a sealed environment the moisture is still going to be there just attached to the Boveda desicant. Wouldnt this be impossible to remove the moisture since its still in the jar?

no no no... this is not how to properly use the Boveda. They should not be used to remove moisture from the jar... they are there to simply maintain moisture at a certain level.

You are right, the moisture would still have to be in there ... and it is up to you via burping to remove that much moisture. Sometimes I burp for 3 hours at a time, early on, when I am trying to move down from 70% into the curing range. As I get closer and closer to my mark, the burps get shorter. If I have a very wet batch that is not wanting to budge from the 70% mark, I will put it back in the paper sack for 6 hours too. You have to work at removing the moisture... don't ever rely on a Boveda to do it for you.
Second point... a Boveda 58 is for long term storage, AFTER the cure is done. If you want to stay in the curing range for an extended period of time, get the Boveda 62's. The 58's are going to take your product out of the curing range way too quickly.

They will reduce it a little but probably not from a 70 to a 58. 70 a bit on the high side IMHO as right on the cusp of inviting mold to grow, I try to get it down to at least 65-67 before it stays in the jar, just put it out on a cookie sheet or plate (depends how much you have) and then back into jar (time will vary on what humidity % is outside the jar/in your house/space).

no no no... this is not how to properly use the Boveda. They should not be used to remove moisture from the jar... they are there to simply maintain moisture at a certain level.

You are right, the moisture would still have to be in there ... and it is up to you via burping to remove that much moisture. Sometimes I burp for 3 hours at a time, early on, when I am trying to move down from 70% into the curing range. As I get closer and closer to my mark, the burps get shorter. If I have a very wet batch that is not wanting to budge from the 70% mark, I will put it back in the paper sack for 6 hours too. You have to work at removing the moisture... don't ever rely on a Boveda to do it for you.
Second point... a Boveda 58 is for long term storage, AFTER the cure is done. If you want to stay in the curing range for an extended period of time, get the Boveda 62's. The 58's are going to take your product out of the curing range way too quickly.

And we're done here. This right here is what needs to happen. ;)

When i pulled them from drying (4-6 days some on and some off stem on drying rack @ 50% humidity), they felt good, put them into jars and had to go to work..... Humidity in home was in mid 60's till a couple days ago so burping actually probably didnt adjust jar humidity all that much. Since having to use our heater humidity is now 46 in house. I have since opened jars but left Bovedas in jars and will just let breathe. Jars are in cupboard so lets see what happens... 1005191051.jpg

For reference on jars/burping:

Back
Top Bottom