Drying question

I think you misunderstand what the curing process is.

The average old fart would probably be scratching his head at this thread, lol. Drying buds in "poke sacks" (brown paper bags) *slowly*, by the time they're done, they already look cured (because they are, to some extent), green has already begun fading pretty good / a lot of the chlorophyll has already been converted...

Heads didn't make a distinction between "drying" and "curing." Unless it had been a really dry Summer and they stuck a bud on top of a lamp shade or something.

It's just science ;) .

The average old fart would probably be scratching his head at this thread, lol. Drying buds in "poke sacks" (brown paper bags) *slowly*, by the time they're done, they already look cured (because they are, to some extent), green has already begun fading pretty good / a lot of the chlorophyll has already been converted...

Heads didn't make a distinction between "drying" and "curing." Unless it had been a really dry Summer and they stuck a bud on top of a lamp shade or something.

It's just science ;) .
Exactly my point!
As for distinctions
Curing is the increase in potency, smell, and flavor and the decrease of chlorophyll.
Drying is the removal of moisture from the buds and stems through the buds themselves.
They happen simultaneously until you reach a point where you no longer want to continue drying. At this point you reduce ventilation zero (jars) and now you are only curing.

You don’t want to overshoot because the internal moisture that keeps these processes going can be depleted to no longer functioning levels. And no matter how you rehydrate, you can never again set the process in motion.

Hey folks,
So i harvested my best plant yet.
Still wet but should get 5/6 oz easy. So my question is that I've got my buds in a box to dry . its been 4 days (i know its not done)
The temp is 66 deg. And its gone down to 62 RH and ive got a small fan blowing over top of the box and it seems to be hokding steady. Am i on the right track?
Like i said I've never had this amount drying.
I would nix fan

This is why I dry to (to not at, I dry at 40F so my rh doesn’t matter) 70-72% Rh in jar. You want to slowly approach 62% from above. You DO NOT want over shoot and rehydrate. That would be, as you said, improper handling.

Thats it yes. 420% - not many folks stick there nose in a jar or a bag and smell hay and say good things.

Just an observation.

I gotta make something else out of that like hash or edibles or oil. I always go from wet to dry into jars with boveda packs to bring DOWN the RH slowly. If its done right it only takes a few days in the jar. Then a cure for however long you like.

The hay smell comes from drying until stem snap - to me thats way too long drying. I've read the dry till snap thing. Thats not optimal.

Fans are ok on drying weed. I use a small 9" one but I hang whole plants in AC room with a fan on them. If you cut flowers off the branches or just cut branches and hang them, you need to check your drying to be sure its not over drying.

i just went through this whole thing

my 2 cents

bovedas are NOt GOOD to bring humidity down.
i notice a strangeness in the smoke when using bovedas

bovedas are good to bring humidity up or maintain humidity, but after a couple runs with them I WILL NOT USE THEM AS A DESSICANT.
they give my bud a “steamy” smoke when smoked.
i did a side by side with buds i am curing with 62s, 58s and no bovedas.

no bovedas smoked best, followed by 58s and then the 62s definitely seemed to moist to smoke.

what i do now? jar the buds at 65-68% WITHOUT a boveda. jar them until 60% by burping the jars daily at first, then once every two days after a week or so.
toss in a boveda 58 after the jars hit 59-61% RH

also i DRY using dr ziggys low and slow drying method like this

i CURE in jars once the buds reach 65% rh HANGING IN THE FRIDGE

647DE8E6-FE20-4C1F-A377-56E1912F01BF.jpeg

Thats another way to do it. Low and slow - can use paper bags in the fridge with weed in the bags. I've done it that way with good result.

I haven't noticed any negatives using Boveda packs. It's not a desiccant per se. (silica)

Desiccants REMOVE moisture and thats it. Boveda goes both ways and will stabilize at whatever rh% is on the pack. It's an easy way to get flower to the right RH.

I put flowers in my cans with Boveda when they are almost to 62% or close but usually a little wetter slightly.

I use a VAPE so I would notice difference in flavors.

Not saying yer wrong. I'll have to try it the old way in jars burping (thats a pain in the ass for me) but I can do it with 1 jar. Problem for me is many jars and then I'd have to keep track and all that its a lot of work.

Benefit of Boveda - 62% rh is perfect for curing. Flower will stay at that rh indenfinitely keeping your flower fresh for a very long time. You cant get that from just burping in a jar. Well you could IF you never opened the jar. Once you open the jar without any humidity control you will loose water vapor and the flowers will go stale.

boveda is a two way moisture control

it either humidifies if RH is too low
or dessicates if RH is too high

when i put bovedas in when the RH is too high it makes my flower “steam” when smoked.

if you dont smoke you may not notice it,
its what i have noticed on multiple harvests and multiple jars for me

maybe its different for others, i wont use bovedas until the RH hits 60% and i need to maintain a certain humidity (i use 58s)

i do not like cannabis that has added moisture from bovedas rehydrating to 62% or higher.
i can taste the “steam” smoke in the pot.
thats why i use 58s when the RH gets to 60.
it will gently dessicate the last 2% to 58 and then will keep it there.
buds are perfect, they still squish but also crumbly enough to break up nicely in grinder or by hand ( i hate grinders)

also if you are “donating” your cannabis, 62% dried flower will dry up even more when donated to someone not storing in a jar. i prefer not to donate extra moisture but thats just me.

all in all 58s are my personal fave

I've never "enjoyed" and steamy smoke.. lol Well not in a pipe anyways.

I vape so technically every puff I take is steam!

I keep all my flower at 62% - take some out the day before I wanna puff it and leave it in a dish. Sometimes the RH goes higher than 62% and the flower will adsorb more or dry out some if its lower than 62% RH. I prefer it a little dryer but since I VAPE I don't really care either way.

I don't use grinders on fresh flowers. Cant bring myself to do that. Plus it makes more of a mess than anything.

Grinding up trichomes, not sure that's a best practice but that's just me.

I'm not apposed to dry sift tho! Technically not grinding.

This is why I dry to (to not at, I dry at 40F so my rh doesn’t matter) 70-72% Rh in jar. You want to slowly approach 62% from above. You DO NOT want over shoot and rehydrate. That would be, as you said, improper handling.
Sticky buds dry. All my buds are sticky. Why I use Boveda packs!
I also use boveda 62%, but only after I've slowly worked my rh from 70 to about 63-64. When I'm ready to go to a burp every 4-5 days, that's when I install my Boveda. I agree with everything said, but when my weed gets below 60%, I don't bother trying to bring it back. It's
Thats it yes. 420% - not many folks stick there nose in a jar or a bag and smell hay and say good things.

Just an observation.

I gotta make something else out of that like hash or edibles or oil. I always go from wet to dry into jars with boveda packs to bring DOWN the RH slowly. If its done right it only takes a few days in the jar. Then a cure for however long you like.

The hay smell comes from drying until stem snap - to me thats way too long drying. I've read the dry till snap thing. Thats not optimal.

Fans are ok on drying weed. I use a small 9" one but I hang whole plants in AC room with a fan on them. If you cut flowers off the branches or just cut branches and hang them, you need to check your drying to be sure its not over drying.
The # 1 reason for over drying weed is a rush to sell it. How many times have I smoked a sealed at the dispensary joint, that felt and tasted like hay. I find that if you jar at the point the small buds snap, without leaving a string, then I'm usually at mid 60s. And to me, that isn't letting me gradually go to 62%. It's like I'm at 62% in 2 or 3 burps and that's not enough. So like you, I have recently started checking real good, 2 or 3 times per day, when buds start feeling dry to the touch. I'm happy if they are some where around 70%, when jarring. Because, being in a hurry & growing & curing weed, is not a good match !!
And someone compared humidor cigars to re-humidifing pot, well, when the humidity of that high $$ cigar drops, no humidor is gonna bring back the factory sealed $20 taste. If you re-humidify, then you're smoking steam.

I also use boveda 62%, but only after I've slowly worked my rh from 70 to about 63-64. When I'm ready to go to a burp every 4-5 days, that's when I install my Boveda. I agree with everything said, but when my weed gets below 60%, I don't bother trying to bring it back. It's

The # 1 reason for over drying weed is a rush to sell it. How many times have I smoked a sealed at the dispensary joint, that felt and tasted like hay. I find that if you jar at the point the small buds snap, without leaving a string, then I'm usually at mid 60s. And to me, that isn't letting me gradually go to 62%. It's like I'm at 62% in 2 or 3 burps and that's not enough. So like you, I have recently started checking real good, 2 or 3 times per day, when buds start feeling dry to the touch. I'm happy if they are some where around 70%, when jarring. Because, being in a hurry & growing & curing weed, is not a good match !!
And someone compared humidor cigars to re-humidifing pot, well, when the humidity of that high $$ cigar drops, no humidor is gonna bring back the factory sealed $20 taste. If you re-humidify, then you're smoking steam.

well said! thats what i try to do exactly!!
just with 58s not 62, but i could see if you are strictly vaping probably want a little extra moisture in it.

just with 58s not 62, but i could see if you are strictly vaping probably want a little extra moisture in it.
I smoke mostly bong bowls, and I like my nugs 62%. I have a 3 stage grinder and I don’t collect much Kief from my nugs. I’m packing nearly 100% with just the flower itself. I also have a pax2 vaporizer and I do like it a lot. You can get a true sense of the flavors when you have it on a low temperature setting.

Thats another way to do it. Low and slow - can use paper bags in the fridge with weed in the bags. I've done it that way with good result.

I haven't noticed any negatives using Boveda packs. It's not a desiccant per se. (silica)

Desiccants REMOVE moisture and thats it. Boveda goes both ways and will stabilize at whatever rh% is on the pack. It's an easy way to get flower to the right RH.

I put flowers in my cans with Boveda when they are almost to 62% or close but usually a little wetter slightly.

I use a VAPE so I would notice difference in flavors.

Not saying yer wrong. I'll have to try it the old way in jars burping (thats a pain in the ass for me) but I can do it with 1 jar. Problem for me is many jars and then I'd have to keep track and all that its a lot of work.

Benefit of Boveda - 62% rh is perfect for curing. Flower will stay at that rh indenfinitely keeping your flower fresh for a very long time. You cant get that from just burping in a jar. Well you could IF you never opened the jar. Once you open the jar without any humidity control you will loose water vapor and the flowers will go stale.
Get bigger jars; or even totes.

I use CV vaults mainly for curing with a 62% large Boveda pack in the lid. I use the cans that can hold a 1/4 - 1/2 # depending on density of the flowers.

If it's too wet to cure, I just leave the lid off for a few days and toss the buds every day.

When crisp to the touch on the outside, lid goes on. Curing starts and the flavors happen.

Been doing it for a while like that, now I can just tell how dry by touch. I want to feel a little crispness on the sugars. Once there I'm good for long term storage/curing. Once my CV vaults are full, its into 1/2 gal mason jars with Boveda packs.

58% is what I like to smoke or vape at. Its dry enough to break up perperly to roll a joint with.

Absolutely agree. If you have a fridge available put 28g wet into paper lunch bag and into the fridge for 10-14 days. Rustle the buds on day three and you’re done. Jar and add Bovida pack.

Perfect every time.

The best way to dry is in the fridge over a period of 2-3 weeks.. as per DrZiggyand SweetSue’s thread.

Lo n Slo drying

Attachments

• 18FEB549-CADB-4BD4-A287-F9F984151DB4.jpeg
    18FEB549-CADB-4BD4-A287-F9F984151DB4.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 64
  • BFD843E8-050E-47F0-B62F-B0DB735A8772.jpeg
    BFD843E8-050E-47F0-B62F-B0DB735A8772.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 775FF717-7964-456C-89FE-A4B14AB0DC34.jpeg
    775FF717-7964-456C-89FE-A4B14AB0DC34.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 76
i use the cvaults too, they are pretty awesome.

i have some long term storage masons for my personal use.
youre right about the 62 not dropping trichs, i smoke bongs and joints so i prefer the dryness of 58s.
i break up bud by hand over a wooden kief box, so i like the trichs to land on there anyways

I've never "enjoyed" and steamy smoke.. lol Well not in a pipe anyways.

I vape so technically every puff I take is steam!

I keep all my flower at 62% - take some out the day before I wanna puff it and leave it in a dish. Sometimes the RH goes higher than 62% and the flower will adsorb more or dry out some if its lower than 62% RH. I prefer it a little dryer but since I VAPE I don't really care either way.

I don't use grinders on fresh flowers. Cant bring myself to do that. Plus it makes more of a mess than anything.

Grinding up trichomes, not sure that's a best practice but that's just me.

I'm not apposed to dry sift tho! Technically not grinding.
My wife & I both are joint smokers. and the only reason we use 62% is because of retention of terpene's . Do you lose any taste at 58% ?? The other thing is, I keep my weed sealed, in jars, until I'm ready to roll. I'm always open to trying new tactics ? The only 58% weed I smoked was some that I over dried, and It seemed to have no taste. Ever misplaced a baggie of weed, to find a week later as dust ? yes, and we smoked that nasty shit too !!:passitleft:

My wife & I both are joint smokers. and the only reason we use 62% is because of retention of terpene's . Do you lose any taste at 58% ?? The other thing is, I keep my weed sealed, in jars, until I'm ready to roll. I'm always open to trying new tactics ? The only 58% weed I smoked was some that I over dried, and It seemed to have no taste. Ever misplaced a baggie of weed, to find a week later as dust ? yes, and we smoked that nasty shit too !!:passitleft:

as far as loss of taste. i dont notice any, i feel the bud is great.

this current harvest that is drying im going to try a jar of 58 and a jar of 62 and see which is better. i should have last harvest but got lazy

as far as loss of taste. i dont notice any, i feel the bud is great.

this current harvest that is drying im going to try a jar of 58 and a jar of 62 and see which is better. i should have last harvest but got lazy
I like the comparison, let us know your out come !!

Back
Top Bottom