Drying

Always keep some air flow going. Never enclose moist buds in any sealed space. With the paper bag/box method there’s a certain amount of air exchange and also the grower has tend the situation regularly. People have good daily’s with that technique though. There’s also a way of doing it inside a fridge which seems to work great- if you have a spare fridge or don’t mind getting your regular one smelly

I dry on screens inside a small fridge I converted to a drying box. It has vent holes on all sides.
So if I leave the bottom flap on the tent open and use a small fan not aimed at the floor will that provide proper airflow ?

Sounds like a good start yes. If you inspect the buds a couple times a day you’ll be ok and can regulate the situation- reduce airflow if it’s drying too fast, etc
In a small space, large amounts of bud will dry slower, create more humidity, and be at a higher risk of mould. While a tiny amount of bud will dry faster. There are always a few variables. You’ll quickly get a feel for it though.
Keep some hygrometers around. You can test it in a jar like I mentioned earlier I think.

Sounds like a good start yes. If you inspect the buds a couple times a day you’ll be ok and can regulate the situation- reduce airflow if it’s drying to fast, etc
In a small space, large amounts of bud will dry slower, create more humidity, and be at a higher risk of mould. While a tiny amount of bud will dry faster. There are always a few variables. You’ll quickly get a feel for it though.
Keep some hygrometers around. You can test it in a jar like I mentioned earlier I think.
I ordered a bunch of mini hygrometer yesterday. The ones I have wont fit in the jar

thanks guys for all the different ways of drying, I've barely have 2 years of growing and this is the first time I've dried and cured worth a shit. My first 4 grows smelled like hay but would still do the trick. this time i speared it up and put the popcorn buds in a hanging drying screen.

20201006_163108.jpg20201007_104439.jpg20201007_104810.jpg20201007_104815.jpg20201007_161209.jpg20201007_161214.jpg20201007_161224.jpg20201007_162047.jpg20201007_162647.jpg20201007_162651.jpg

like i said BEST YEAR GROWING SO FAR and I'm happy AF lol

:passitleft:
:lot-o-toke:

thanks guys for all the different ways of drying, I've barely have 2 years of growing and this is the first time I've dried and cured worth a shit. My first 4 grows smelled like hay but would still do the trick. this time i speared it up and put the popcorn buds in a hanging drying screen.

20201006_163108.jpg20201007_104439.jpg20201007_104810.jpg20201007_104815.jpg20201007_161209.jpg20201007_161214.jpg20201007_161224.jpg20201007_162047.jpg20201007_162647.jpg20201007_162651.jpg

like i said BEST YEAR GROWING SO FAR and I'm happy AF lol

:passitleft:
:lot-o-toke:
Congrats dude

I toss them in at the same time I jar the bud. But I dry mine to pretty much where I want it to be first and don’t rely on the packs to compensate for huge RH differences. I mostly just use them to keep things stable. I think other people may do it differently

I toss them in at the same time I jar the bud. But I dry mine to pretty much where I want it to be first and don’t rely on the packs to compensate for huge RH differences. I mostly just use them to keep things stable. I think other people may do it differently
Im probably going to err on the side of putting them in too wet then too dry. Last harvest I had to make edibles out of the whole thing because I overdried and the bud was horrible tasting . Thx for all your help btw really appreciate it

Definitely don’t keep it in the jar if the hygrometer in it says 70 or higher. You will get mould pretty quickly. I don’t really like it to be more than 65. But I trust you will keep a close eye on it.
You’re very welcome. Good luck! :passitleft:

And make sure all of those things are in agreement, or nearly so, before depending on any of them. You don't want a wonky one causing you to think your jar's environment is fine when it isn't.

You need to check RH after at least 20 minutes.
64% is just about perfect to start curing in a jar w/ 62% Bovida Packs.
Make sure the jar is half to 3/4 full . Not full to brim. Place in a cool dark space.
Burp twice a day ( open jar for a couple minutes and rotate jar so buds move a little ) , and check the humidity at least once a day w/ hygrometer.
When they reach 62% only burp once a day for a few seconds.
Always rotate jar open a few times.
Once they stabilize around 60/62% , just burp every other day.
This curing process takes a couple weeks but 3 weeks makes a big difference with the quality .
The smell will literally go from hay ( at first ) to skunk.
GL.
Do NOT let RH get down below 56%. Curing process will stop. Not good.

64% is just about perfect to start curing in a jar w/ 62% Bovida Packs.
Make sure the jar is half to 3/4 full . Place in a cool dark space.
Burp twice a day ( open jar for a couple minutes and rotate jar so buds move a little ) , and check the humidity at least once a day w/ hygrometer.
When they reach 62% only burp once a day for a few seconds.
Always rotate jar open a few times.
Once they stabilize around 60/62% , just burp every other day.
This curing process takes a couple weeks but 3 weeks makes a big difference with the quality .
The smell will literally go from hay ( at first ) to skunk.
GL.
Do NOT let RH get down below 56%. Curing process will stop. Not good.
The rh went up to 69% in the sealed container with the 2 buds . I hung them back in the drying tent. I think if I left them in there it would’ve gone over 70%rh

The rh went up to 69% in the sealed container with the 2 buds . I hung them back in the drying tent. I think if I left them in there it would’ve gone over 70%rh
That’s cool . Just keep checking . Just do NOT over dry. You are very close.
So check in the morning and in the evening. The RH will drop quickly when it gets below 70%.
No problem with placing in the jar around 65%. I usually do at 67% but I watch it closely.

That’s cool . Just keep checking . Just do NOT over dry. You are very close.
So check in the morning and in the evening. The RH will drop quickly when it gets below 70%.
No problem with placing in the jar around 65%. I usually do at 67% but I watch it closely.
Im just super paranoid about this process. My first grow I way overdried and the bud tasted HORRENDOUS!!!!!! So ive been eating butter for 3 months and Im sick of it .
When you jar it up do you separate the buds from the stems ?
Thanks for answering my questions really appreciate yours and the rest of the communities help

Im just super paranoid about this process. My first grow I way overdried and the bud tasted HORRENDOUS!!!!!! So ive been eating butter for 3 months and Im sick of it .
When you jar it up do you separate the buds from the stems ?
Thanks for answering my questions really appreciate yours and the rest of the communities help
Yes. I cut each bud from stem and do a rough trim , But I prefer a small stem and some trimmed sugar leafs on the buds for initial cure. I do a final trim when I prepare a bud to smoke. I think it slows the cure and enhances the taste. My opinion.
Lots of growers prefer a completely trimmed bud for cure.
Try it both ways in different jars and see what you think.
I put all the trimmings in a paper sack in the fridge for cannabutter.
Including stems.

You can leave the buds on the stems if you want to, or not, which ever works better for you. I usually trim the large ones off just to save space. You are right to put it back in the dryer because obviously it’s too wet still.
Personally I don’t burp, never have- at least not in the way it’s usually done these day, and I think burping is just a myth. Curing weed doesn’t offgas anything noticeable. Possibly the process needs a little fresh air once in a while but if so the occasional jar opening for general use and bud admiring provides plenty.

It’s a holdover from back in the days when we didn’t have cheap hygrometers that fit in jars, or boveda packs, and we went about things a little differently. The easiest way to dry buds safely was to dry it till you get to the ‘stem snapping’ stage, then Jar it and baby it from there. Burping is a good way to dry the bud more if it’s not dry enough yet. It’s a process of opening up the jar and letting the bud dry a little each time. Very safe method. Personally I just dry it to 60-ish in the drier, then jar it and toss in a boveda pack before leaving it to cure. Done.

But most people here do seem to burp, for whatever reason. It won’t hurt the buds and it is one way of drying them- just a bit of a hassle, IMO.

You can leave the buds on the stems if you want to, or not, which ever works better for you. I usually trim the large ones off just to save space. You are right to put it back in the dryer because obviously it’s too wet still.
Personally I don’t burp, never have- at least not in the way it’s usually done these day, and I think burping is just a myth. Curing weed doesn’t offgas anything noticeable. Possibly the process needs a little fresh air once in a while but if so the occasional jar opening for general use and bud admiring provides plenty.

It’s a holdover from back in the days when we didn’t have cheap hygrometers that fit in jars, or boveda packs, and we went about things a little differently. The easiest way to dry buds safely was to dry it till you get to the ‘stem snapping’ stage, then Jar it and baby it from there. Burping is a good way to dry the bud more if it’s not dry enough yet. It’s a process of opening up the jar and letting the bud dry a little each time. Very safe method. Personally I just dry it to 60-ish in the drier, then jar it and toss in a boveda pack before leaving it to cure. Done.

But most people here do seem to burp, for whatever reason. It won’t hurt the buds and it is one way of drying them- just a bit of a hassle, IMO.
I put some bud in the plastic container again left it for an hr and humidity was 57% on 2 hygrometers but the stems are still not snapping . I Jarred up a couple buds and left the rest in the tent . Hopefully they don’t get crisped by the time I get home from work tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom