I over dried my weed when I hung them up? What can I do to re-hydrate the buds?

I could use some pot friendly neighbors... the grown up kind. I'm sure the kids around here would love to know what I am doing, and that ain't happening... friendly only goes so far.
You think your neighbors don’t know? Ha ha. That’s hilarious. We can’t smell it cuz we are always around it. But others, other smell the funk. Im glad hemp farming has become so popular! Lol

Overdrying tends to kill some of the smell and flavor. It depends on the strain though too- some strains are so dank they’re not easy to kill. If you rehydrate in time you can usually rescue a lot of the terpenes. If you don’t rehydrate it and leave it crispy it just starts to smell awful after a while.

Let us know how it does in the bucket and if it seems improve over time at all. Might not hurt to do the usual burping routine in case it helps.

Overdrying tends to kill some of the smell and flavor. It depends on the strain though too- some strains are so dank they’re not easy to kill. If you rehydrate in time you can usually rescue a lot of the terpenes. If you don’t rehydrate it and leave it crispy it just starts to smell awful after a while.

Let us know how it does in the bucket and if it seems improve over time at all. Might not hurt to do the usual burping routine in case it help
Doing real good in the bucket, it has rehydrated and staying at 62% humidity. Still packs a punch when you smoke it. Here are the pics of it cut up and in the turkey bag. It weighed out to 4.5 oz exactly.
DSC08246.JPG
DSC08247.JPG

it has rehydrated and staying at 62% humidity
I was going to mention you might want to put it in a paper bag in the garage (or somewhere with RH > 50%). The bud will suck moisture out of the atmosphere and rehydrate. Easy fix.

:high-five:

Doing real good in the bucket, it has rehydrated and staying at 62% humidity. Still packs a punch when you smoke it. Here are the pics of it cut up and in the turkey bag. It weighed out to 4.5 oz exactly.
DSC08246.JPG
DSC08247.JPG
Ooo....that looks like some pretty buds. Sorry about the drying issue!

That’s good to know. I think I mentioned before on this thread, I’m on round two of my overdried bud experiments.
I dried some down to under 30% Rh for a couple days and then rehydrated it, and then have just treated it normally with the burping and everything since then.

That bud has been jarred for about six weeks. It smells good. Especially when I crumble it up a bit it has a lovely mango smell, as that strain normally should.
Not as good as the stuff that I didn’t over-dry, but still good. And it’s night and day compared to the stuff that I did not re-hydrate.

Now the trick is to see whether it continues to improve at all over time.

That’s good to know. I think I mentioned before on this thread, I’m on round two of my overdried bud experiments.
I dried some down to under 30% Rh for a couple days and then rehydrated it, and then have just treated it normally with the burping and everything since then.

That bud has been jarred for about six weeks. It smells good. Especially when I crumble it up a bit it has a lovely mango smell, as that strain normally should.
Not as good as the stuff that I didn’t over-dry, but still good. And it’s night and day compared to the stuff that I did not re-hydrate.

Now the trick is to see whether it continues to improve at all over time.
Hopefully it will continue to improve, what type did you over dry?

It was a cross that a friend made. A cross of Mango Haze with Super Silver Haze. Both from MNS breeders.

Last year I tried the same experiment with a strain called Strawberry Blue and it definitely appeared to improve in the jar over time. But since I’m not exactly working in laboratory conditions here or anything I would like to do the experiment a few times to make sure of what I’m seeing. Maybe next time I will try a very dank strong smelling strain instead of these fruity ones

It was a cross that a friend made. A cross of Mango Haze with Super Silver Haze. Both from MNS breeders.

Last year I tried the same experiment with a strain called Strawberry Blue and it definitely appeared to improve in the jar over time. But since I’m not exactly working in laboratory conditions here or anything I would like to do the experiment a few times to make sure of what I’m seeing. Maybe next time I will try a very dank strong smelling strain instead of these fruity ones
yeah, right now im experimenting with the best way to preserve it long term, i did vacuum sealing in a bag, which mushed it down pretty good, the next harvest i do in a week is going to be vacuum sealed in mason jars to retain it's shape. im more concerned with it staying fresh than the shape since this is all for personal use.

I usually try to hit the override button on the vacuum pretty quick, and seal it before it compacts anything.

But some sort of jars is really the way to go. Anyway trying to get the oxygen out is really not required IMO unless you’re planning to store it for several years

A humidor is what cigar smokers use... any humidity controlled environment should do. Keeps it from getting wet and also from drying out too much.

I usually try to hit the override button on the vacuum pretty quick, and seal it before it compacts anything.

But some sort of jars is really the way to go. Anyway trying to get the oxygen out is really not required IMO unless you’re planning to store it for several years

i am actually going for long term storage. im shooting for well over two years. I have my last grow from two years ago in my pharm jars, the black miron ones with the humidity and temp gauge on the lid. The buds are still very potent and don't give a headache when you smoke them. but are a moderately dry the humidity stays at about 55 percent in them after all this time. I would really like to shoot for five plus years in storage keeping them dark and cool. And i am trying every way i can find to see what the best results are. I don't sell, i just grow for the fun of it. and would like to keep my excess around for as long as possible so when the mood hits me for a certain strain i can pull out a quarter or half ounce and open it up fresh as possible. Heh also i don't smoke all that much, an ounce usually lasts me about a year. i mainly smoke it out of a one hitter, taking usually two hits a day.

Well you are in a great position then to see if the overdried bud recovers and cures at all.

I think the oxygen is the enemy for long-term storage so you’re on the right track as far as trying to remove that. I’ve never looked into it very much.

Maybe you can find some special containers to invest in. I do have the mason jar vacuum attachment but I never bother to use it.
I have some six-year-old bud and it is very nice to smoke and has a great flavour but has definitely gotten a lot weaker now. But it was just stored in a jar normally.

Well you are in a great position then to see if the overdried bud recovers and cures at all.

I think the oxygen is the enemy for long-term storage so you’re on the right track as far as trying to remove that. I’ve never looked into it very much.

Maybe you can find some special containers to invest in. I do have the mason jar vacuum attachment but I never bother to use it.
I have some six-year-old bud and it is very nice to smoke and has a great flavour but has definitely gotten a lot weaker now. But it was just stored in a jar normal
yeah, this is kinda fun to be able to try all these new methods for long term storage. It's going to take years to find out the results but really thats just something to look forward too. Im going to be harvesting my citrus super haze on thursday and friday, this time im going to pay much closer attention to how quickly they are drying. And i can use the temp and humidity controlled grow tent to dry them in this time, so bonus! here are the pics i took of it this morning. flowered for ten weeks exactly yesterday, and i vegged it for two months before that.
DSC08264.JPG
DSC08265.JPG

You will find a lot more useful information by looking into food industry storage practises rather than on this forum, which is basically for newbie home growers. However it’s a very important subject in food and agriculture businesses so there will be plenty of actual info rather than just forum opinion.

Not that you necessarily want to get into storing your bud by nitrogen fixation or anything, but it will be easier to find the available options.

Back
Top Bottom