I over dried my weed when I hung them up? What can I do to re-hydrate the buds?

Fuzzy1981

Ok so i hung my weed up to dry for five days at 30 percent humidity, and they are bone dry today. Is there any way to get humidity back into the buds or did i just shoot this grow in the ass at the last step? I currently have them in an air tight turkey bag curing in a black five gallon pail with a gamma seal lid, and a humidity meter in the bag, and a few silicone packages that are supposed to keep the humidity at 62 percent. any help would be appreciated. i have some bud from the same plant that i hung in a different spot that didn't dry it like this. It's about an eigth but it is some of the most potent stuff i have ever had. Is there any commonly accepted way to salvage this, or is it lost?

As Emilya mentioned you are done - it’s game over. A few larger stalks or stems can add moisture back in, but if left unchecked that could introduce mold, it’s probably going to retain the hay taste or smell regardless of what you do. You could still make hash, cobs, green dragon, rso or edibles so it’s not a total loss. Maybe next time split your harvest and try low & slow fridge cure with half and do traditional dry hang and into jars with the other half.

Not sure how much you have but if it’s a five gallon bucket full it’s going to take more than breath to rehydrate. At 50 RH you’re getting close to being ok but would be better around 60.

Keep in mind that those hygrometers usually aren’t very accurate. Sometimes are totally wrong- so it's good to throw more than one in the container if you have any.

Lots of ways to rehydrate I feel like I typed a bunch of stuff about rehydrating recently so I’m going to find that and post it here to save more typing.

Edit- here;
Oh there are lots of ways to rehydrate the bud. Because I live in a moist climate I usually just spread it out in a open container in my workshop or unheated back room, or even just keep it in the jar but leave the lid off - a few hours at a time or sometimes as long as overnight- and then put the lid back on and check how the hygrometer looks. Then usually have to repeat.

But another favorite way which I like even better is to put a smallish fresh (not dried) bud in the top of the jar, then put the lid back on. Set it up so that the fresh bud is not touching the dried bud directly.

I put it in its own little saucer like a container lid or just on top of a piece of paper or plastic or whatever so it’s not in direct contact. Then put the lid on and leave it a few hours or longer/overnight and check the RH.

There’s been times I just left that bud in there permanently and it dried out on it’s own while rehydrating the older bud. It adds a lot of nice smell to the jar.

Rather than a fresh bud you can substitute something like an orange peel, fruit slice, whatever. Same rules apply.

Keep an eye on the fresh bud (and everything else) to watch for mold. Although I’ve never had it go moldy doing this.

Tobacco shops sell clay pallets that are made for rehydrating tobacco. Those work well and are clean.

As you probably gathered from the thread above the general idea is that rehydrated bud will never be very good again. But I do know that this last batch of mine recovered a lot of its smell eventually, for whatever reason. The next couple harvests I’m going to repeat the experiment a bit more scientificishly.

From page four of this thread here Drying & Curing Question

As for whether the bud will cure or retain/regain much of its smell and flavor. I am in round # two of a ‘curing over-dried bud’ experiment. Round one seemed to show that the bud did cure (improve over time) somewhat.

I will say one thing - if you re-hydrate the bud, it is sure going to be a hell of a lot better than if you do not rehydrate it. I can guarantee that much.

Not sure how much you have but if it’s a five gallon bucket full it’s going to take more than breath to rehydrate. At 50 RH you’re getting close to being ok but would be better around 60.

Keep in mind that those hygrometers usually aren’t very accurate. Sometimes are totally wrong- so it's good to throw more than one in the container if you have any.

Lots of ways to rehydrate I feel like I typed a bunch of stuff about rehydrating recently so I’m going to find that and post it here to save more typing.

Edit- here;

From page four of this thread here Drying & Curing Question

As for whether the bud will cure or retain/regain much of its smell and flavor. I am in round # two of a ‘curing over-dried bud’ experiment. Round one seemed to show that the bud did cure (improve over time) somewhat.

I will say one thing - if you re-hydrate the bud, it is sure going to be a hell of a lot better than if you do not rehydrate it. I can guarantee that much.
for sure, i am all for rehydrating! this is just personal stash, im giving most of it away so it doesn't have to be perfect. i just want it to be moist enough to roll it without turning to dust. i had taken a bud that wasn't quite dry yet and put it in a ziplock sandwich bag with a very dry bud yesterday, and i noticed the next day the dry bud was the same texture and moistness as the one i just put in, and i was wondering if that was a good idea or not. i appreciate the advice to keep it in a tupper ware container on top of the dry bud. i still have one plant left to harvest so plenty of fresh stuff to go around. im trying to rehydrate it in a turkey bag, in a black gamma seal lid five gallon bucket, i haven't weight it yet but im guessing it's between a half pound or three quarters of a pound. im not to worried about if the curing has shut down early or not, this harvest was sour diesel and i've already smoked some, it still packs on hell of a punch.

it still packs one hell of a punch.
so its not a total loss then. Been there, done that. These mistakes are what makes us great gardeners (and cure'ers) of pot. Just imagine how strong that pot would have been with a good cure, and how great it would have tasted. Better luck next time!

I keep give away pot around here. This is the pot I give to my lawn guy (my brother) for his hard work and to my helpers who come in to help with various tedious things in and around the garden, house and yard. Overdried, and not quite perfectly grown pot is always available in a big wooden bowl in my living room, and anyone is welcome to roll one up without asking first. Now you have some pot that you can barter with too, and I am betting that the next batch through your drying process will be handled with a bit more care... you won't have to smoke this overdried stuff for long.

so its not a total loss then. Been there, done that. These mistakes are what makes us great gardeners (and cure'ers) of pot. Just imagine how strong that pot would have been with a good cure, and how great it would have tasted. Better luck next time!

I keep give away pot around here. This is the pot I give to my lawn guy (my brother) for his hard work and to my helpers who come in to help with various tedious things in and around the garden, house and yard. Overdried, and not quite perfectly grown pot is always available in a big wooden bowl in my living room, and anyone is welcome to roll one up without asking first. Now you have some pot that you can barter with too, and I am betting that the next batch through your drying process will be handled with a bit more care... you won't have to smoke this overdried stuff for long.
yeah, i learned that next time i grow two plants they both need to be the same type with the same flowering time. this way they can both be harvested at the same time and both can be dried in the humidity controlled grow tent. i have one other plant that is about two weeks out from being cut down so it's not the end of the world. The best way to learn is through the mistakes we make. here is a couple pics of my other plant that is almost ready.
dsc08238-jpg.2320200
DSC08234.JPG

DSC08238.JPG

I so wish I was your neighbor!

I just did the exact same thing. Cut her, hang her, check her day 5, 6, 7, and get the short notice work call to leave town for work. Three days later and their down to 40% RH. Hopefully hanging for 9 days helped a bit. As mentioned already, try the low/slow method. I put about 1/4 of my harvest in a paper bag in the fridge. After 10 days, I estimate another week before jarring.

Im not really giving advice. Sometimes it’s nice to know your not the only one to screw things up. Lol

Back
Top Bottom