DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Allow me Derbybud, although I don't really have much science to offer. What I have is the experience of having dried a number of harvests in my dehydrator, and I can assure you, as counterproductive as it sounds, the buds I get from the dehydrator are every bit as fragrant and colorful as the buds I'm drying in the fridge. The big difference is in the time needed to get to dry.

Low and slow buds

IMG_402813.JPG

Dehydrated buds

IMG_380612.JPG

IMG_380811.JPG

My last dehydrated batch took 53 hours straight, and they were ready to be jarred up to begin the cure. The latest batch of low and slo took two weeks, in paper bags. Other batches have taken longer.

I can't explain why there's not more terpene loss with the dehydrator, unless it's because the greatest number of the components may be inside the buds, and flash-drying doesn't give them time to get loose? Not a very scientific explaination, I'm afraid. The proof is in the pudding, and the oils I've made with the dehydrated buds are as tasty and potent as the low and slo oils.

I believe you're doing yourself a disservice by not considering this drying option.

Ive heard of that method before.. Idk I just always slow dry... If I'm out of smoke and want to smoke some early I just wrap it in a paper towel and put it out under the sun (during warm months) and before you know it it's nice and dry and still has a nice smell/taste

Ive heard of that method before.. Idk I just always slow dry... If I'm out of smoke and want to smoke some early I just wrap it in a paper towel and put it out under the sun (during warm months) and before you know it it's nice and dry and still has a nice smell/taste

The advantage to this method is the apparent retention of more terpenes, which potentiate the major cannabinoids. This method produces buds that rival the low and slo in color, flavor and potency, and does so in less than 3 days.

I harvested my first plant yesterday (yay!), washed it according to Doc Buds' instructions, and hung it to drip dry for about 5 hours. She's currently in the garage fridge to dry.

The problem I see is that the humidity fluctuates wildly in there, even after all night of no one opening the door. It's been as high as 81% and as low as 24%. I use a sensor push sensor to keep tabs on the temp and RH without opening the fridge.

Any ideas for normalizing the humidity? Aside from the buds, we only keep canned soda and batteries in there.

Thanks! This is a terrific thread, and I'm excited to see how my dried buds come out.

Congrats on the harvest! Earlier in this thread it mentioned that the key to drying in the fridge is to have a fridge filled with stuff. Fill it more things that need to be cold! Or even things that don't mind being cold ;)
Thank you! Exciting times for sure.

Thanks also for that tip. I'll move some stuff out there from the inside fridge right now. .

SweetSue's hybrid approach

Before I start the report, I wanted to share this beautiful picture of the CBD Critical Cure I used to make an infused oil recently. It was dried low and slo in paper bags.

IMG_402713.JPG

They look fresh to me. They handle like fresh produce too. I'm thrilled that my goal has apparently been reached. Using low and slo buds appears to create an oil equivalent to making FHO on harvest day.

IMG_402813.JPG

On to the hybrid drying approach I'm playing with. I started with Candy Cane buds, ready for the dehydrator.

IMG_398114.JPG

This time I cut the branch attachments long enough to drop down through the grid so the buds set up on the trays.

IMG_398417.JPG

IMG_398611.JPG

I've begun setting one of the fine grid screens to slow down the air. Next time I'll add another to the next layer down and put the largest buds up on the top, working my way down to the smaller buds near the bottom, furthest from the fan.

IMG_398816.JPG

I left this batch in for 50 hours.

IMG_399114.JPG

The buds were much larger when they went in. :laughtwo: You can see how much branch length I left on to add stability. They were all cut at about the same length.

IMG_415515.JPG

At this point the buds get trimmed from the branch pieces they were left attached to. Leaving the branch pieces lends positioning stability so the buds can dry with less damage to their shape, and also slows down the drying a bit by having more plant material to pull from.

IMG_415612.JPG

At this point they weigh 33 grams.

IMG_415714.JPG

4:45 PM: Into the jar overnight.

IMG_41587.JPG

By 9:28 that evening the humidity level is rising.

IMG_417917.JPG

10:35 AM the next morning had RH creeping up to near 80%.

IMG_418614.JPG

Instead of tossing it all back into the dehydrator, I decided to play with the rice I'd cooked the moisture out of. For the rest of the day I switched out bundles of 1/4 cup of the rice, and in so doing managed to drop the humidity, but only in very small steps.

IMG_418711.JPG

IMG_418913.JPG

Immediately upon adding the first bundle humidity levels came down about 2%. I spent the day working with it at random, switching out the rice for new, dry replacements. I wasn't paying close attention, but I was thinking about it casually, wondering what it was that would do what I was after. To be honest, I was involved in a lot of different projects yesterday and this was a minor thing.

IMG_419014.JPG

At midnight I made my decision. After recooking and then cooling down the rice I got a larger jar that would allow for three equal spaces, 1/3 filled with rice, 1/3 filled with cannabis, and 1/3 filled with air.

IMG_420614.JPG

By morning it was stable enough to place in a smaller jar with a Boveda pack.

IMG_420916.JPG

That stabilized the buds at 62%.

IMG_421014.JPG

4:52 today, 7 hours after jarring them up.

IMG_426216.JPG

Final weight. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

IMG_426321.JPG

This was exactly what I'd anticipated. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Next time the plan is:

* 50 hours in the dehydrator at the lowest setting
* into a jar with 1/3 rice, 1/3 buds, 1/3 air
* switch out rice until it's stable at 62-65%

The potential is in the jar, ready to cure, in three day's time. I may begin to notice nuiances that the low and slo brings out that dehydration doesn't, but for now, from the perspective of a producer doing her best to stay ahead of patient demand this is a valuable tool to have available. The quality is better, IMO, to line-dried, which makes it more valuable medicinally. Higher potency means it goes further, freeing my grow space for other projects beyond basic meds.

I'll keep tweaking it until I'm happy with what it does for me.

Excellent documentation! Thank you Sue! .

Thank you for sharing this !!!

Before I start the report, I wanted to share this beautiful picture of the CBD Critical Cure I used to make an infused oil recently. It was dried low and slo in paper bags.

IMG_402713.JPG

They look fresh to me. They handle like fresh produce too. I'm thrilled that my goal has apparently been reached. Using low and slo buds appears to create an oil equivalent to making FHO on harvest day.

IMG_402813.JPG

On to the hybrid drying approach I'm playing with. I started with Candy Cane buds, ready for the dehydrator.

IMG_398114.JPG

This time I cut the branch attachments long enough to drop down through the grid so the buds set up on the trays.

IMG_398417.JPG

IMG_398611.JPG

I've begun setting one of the fine grid screens to slow down the air. Next time I'll add another to the next layer down and put the largest buds up on the top, working my way down to the smaller buds near the bottom, furthest from the fan.

IMG_398816.JPG

IMG_399114.JPG

The buds were much larger when they went in. :laughtwo: You can see how much branch length I left on to add stability. They were all cut at about the same length.

IMG_415515.JPG

At this point the buds get trimmed from the branch pieces they were left attached to. Leaving the branch pieces lends positioning stability so the buds can dry with less damage to their shape, and also slows down the drying a bit by having more plant material to pull from.

IMG_415612.JPG

IMG_415714.JPG

IMG_41587.JPG

IMG_417917.JPG

IMG_418614.JPG

Instead of tossing it all back into the dehydrator, I decided to play with the rice I'd cooked the moisture out of. For the rest of the day I switched out bundles of 1/4 cup of the rice, and in so doing managed to drop the humidity, but only in very small steps.

IMG_418711.JPG

IMG_418913.JPG

Immediately upon adding the first bundle humidity levels came down about 2%. I spent the day working with it at random, switching out the rice for new, dry replacements. I wasn't paying close attention, but I was thinking about it casually, wondering what it was that would do what I was after. To be honest, I was involved in a lot of different projects yesterday and this was a minor thing.

IMG_419014.JPG

At midnight I made my decision. After recooking and then cooling down the rice I got a larger jar that would allow for three equal spaces, 1/3 filled with rice, 1/3 filled with cannabis, and 1/3 filled with air.

IMG_420614.JPG

IMG_420916.JPG

IMG_421014.JPG

IMG_426216.JPG

IMG_426321.JPG

Next time the plan is:

The potential is in the jar, ready to cure, in three day's time. I may begin to notice nuiances that the low and slo brings out that dehydration doesn't, but for now, from the perspective of a producer doing her best to stay ahead of patient demand this is a valuable tool to have available. The quality is better, IMO, to line-dried, which makes it more valuable medicinally. Higher potency means it goes further, freeing my grow space for other projects beyond basic meds.

This needs to be pinned to the top of the page!!

Sue this will be the new standard for drying!!! Well done!

Thank you. :battingeyelashes: You'll love this then. I'm working on a small batch of buds that've been in the fridge for 8 days. I think I'll have them stable at 62% by the time I go to bed tonight. I'll post when they're done.

My thinking is, we went with low and slo because it caused the least disturbance to the light isomers we want to keep around. Well, the other goal is always to get the product dry for use. If we can start the process one way and finish more quickly with rice this meets both goals, doesn't it? Dry without the loss of too many terpenes and flavonoids and as quickly as can be safely done.

For oil making you don't need a cure. For anything else this simply means you jumpstart the cure. So far I'm seeing nothing but positive results from this brainstorming session. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Alright..... It worked!! :yahoo:

8:15 AM

Just out of the fridge after 9 days.

IMG_428311.JPG

8:17 AM

Into a jar half full of rice. I didn't bother cooking the rice. I checked it with a hygrometer first, and it was at 50% humidity, so I just started in.

IMG_42849.JPG

2:26 PM

Six hours later it's down close to 62%.

IMG_42886.JPG

2:28 PM

I put it into a smaller jar, without rice, to check the humidity.

IMG_428911.JPG

6:49 PM

Four hours later and it's back up to around 68%.

IMG_429410.JPG

6:50 PM

Back into the jar half-full of rice.

IMG_429513.JPG

9:02 PM

I went out to dinner and when I returned it was down to 60%.

IMG_42967.JPG

9:03 PM

Back into the smaller jar, this time with a Boveda pack.

IMG_429711.JPG

10:05 PM

An hour later and it's stable at 62%. Mission accomplished.

IMG_430310.JPG

Next time it'll be one week in the bags in the fridge and one day working with rice to get it down to a stable 62%.

What I like most about the rice is the gentle but effective way it removes humidity quickly. I'm going to begin working closer and closer to harvest, maybe take part of the next harvest and see if I can get it to dry using just rice.

Anybody know of any reason this wouldn't work?

IMG_402713.JPG

IMG_402813.JPG

IMG_398114.JPG

IMG_398417.JPG

IMG_398611.JPG

IMG_398816.JPG

IMG_399114.JPG

IMG_415515.JPG

IMG_415612.JPG

IMG_415714.JPG

IMG_41587.JPG

IMG_417917.JPG

IMG_418614.JPG

IMG_418711.JPG

IMG_418913.JPG

IMG_419014.JPG

IMG_420614.JPG

IMG_420916.JPG

IMG_421014.JPG

IMG_426216.JPG

IMG_426321.JPG

Next time the plan is:

Thanks for sharing Sue !!

Great write up Sue! I am a converted Dehydrator since my last harvest. I have another crop and will definitely go straight to the Dehydrator and skip everything else. The rice is a nice side step of handling the buds so much going from jar back into the dehydrator and I'm going to have to go buy some nylons to give it a shot...maybe knee highs? Lol! Thanks for being such an intricate part of this community and contributing as you do! Keep it Green! ..

Absolute fun. I try to get the buds out of the fridge around the 8 day mark and check in jar. My purp rhino is very dense and being resistant to drying, arrrh. As of yesterday, I have one of the big buds stable in the jar with three more big buds in the fridge. I think the 4 or 5 smaller buds will be ready in no time.

I would say I am having success, but that will have to wait till after cure. I am so glad I had this week of moderate temps and humidity to work with. Buds look great, the green dries greener than browner. Going to go check on the jar right meow.

I dont have any rice on hand, :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom