DWC 4x8 tent lighting

Connerkent

Hey everyone,
I'll admit I have been a reader here for a few years and finally now deciding to join! A lot I have learned okay let me back up mostly everything I have learned has come from reading hundreds of debates, journals and tutorials on here so I want to thank everyone and the creaters of the site for bringing an immense community together.

I have been growing in multiple aeroflo 60s and 30s in a 500sqft room SOG style with LED's. Personally I loved it but I am looking for something different to give a shot.

I was thinking of expanding another room to a DWC grow but want to give it a run first. I am comfortable with Scrog grows and still have a lot to learn but can hold my weight. I will be switching to HPS for this grow and using a 4'x8' tent that is 6.5' tall. I will have the Scrog screens attached to lid of bucket at about 1.75x1.75 or 2'x2' with Eight 5 gal buckets in the tent. I am aware it will be tight and completely up against each other but I will have proper air flow etc. Plus while working on each plant I can easily take the lid off without trouble and work on it outside of tent.

My question to you guys is how much lighting should I use? I would rather a lot more than I need then barely cutting it. I was thinking at first 1200w but now considering four 400w or three 600w HPS lights for 1600w-1800w of light.

This might be a lot for a simple question but I do appreciate y'all taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing some valuable responses.

Also I am starting another grow pretty soon finishing flush for my aero's so if you guys want to see a grow journal for my new grow and my DWC set up in the works please let me know it'll be an honor to share back to the community.

Cheers

-Ck

In a small tent like that you don't need to go over 600 but in a long one like that you might want 2. I use a 1000 in a 5x5 and have a bit of a time keeping the temps good. If you went up to DE open face 600 with a top of the line ballast and bulb and proper reflector you will be able to beat many people running poorly designed 1000W systems. I think 600 is as small as DE goes still.

Great general knowledge of many things here...

Grow Light Reflector BUYER'S GUIDE | What lamp reflector is best for? What Hood for The Most Yield - YouTube

In a small tent like that you don't need to go over 600 but in a long one like that you might want 2. I use a 1000 in a 5x5 and have a bit of a time keeping the temps good. If you went up to DE open face 600 with a top of the line ballast and bulb and proper reflector you will be able to beat many people running poorly designed 1000W systems. I think 600 is as small as DE goes still.

Great general knowledge of many things here...

Grow Light Reflector BUYER'S GUIDE | What lamp reflector is best for? What Hood for The Most Yield - YouTube

Thank you for the detailed answer man! Also i rated your grow and read the first page so far definitely want to see everything thay happens as I am interested in a similar config. Only thing is how the heck can I subscrobe to it on mobile haha

I watched the video and I was considering getting air cooled but hell... Not anymore. So I'm thinking of using two DE 600w HPS lights now, non air cooled. If you don't mind putting some more input my way could you recommend a good setup for ballasts, bulbs and reflectors?

I have a 22,000 BTU dual split AC unit and can upgrade if needed because I plant on running four of these tent setups in one room eventually so I want to make sure temps stay cool in the tents around no more than 80 degrees without CO2 what do you think about that?

Again thanks for your time brother

-Ck

Air cooled has its place but if you have a good space and can ventilate properly then the downsides (especially running the bulb cooler) can significantly reduce volume in the long run. For a little bit extra power loss into ventilation (which the plants appreciate by the way) you can get a lot more growth going DE, Open Face, Non-Vented. That plus it has been shown a huge difference for a top of the line ballast...like 10% yield. so like in a year that extra $100 for that top of the line one pays for itself easily.

Get a good ballast, a good reflector, an Philips DE bulb. You will be happy. Phillips makes the bulbs for Gavita now and those were the guys who brought DE into the grow room. They are a few generations ahead of the rest and like I said have sub cond manf. to Philips now because it is so big.

The bulbs are a little spendy but the last way longer and are obviously degrading way slower so in the end they are actually cheaper providing great illumination for a much longer period before needing to be replaced.

My reflector is compact 8 sided reflecting a little more. (after watching that video you see the difference)...

VI's Subcool Based 2 Worm Multi-Strain Mother Hunt - 2016

So you add up 10% 5 times and you get a good chunk of extra weed.

Back
Top Bottom