Easiest way too cure or fast dry?

tk86high

Im about 2 weeks out from harvest but i want to be completely ready mentally as this is my first grow , so far my grow is looking great and thats because I took in lots of information before starting . Now I would like some comments or advise from other growers on curing and fast drying. Ive read tons of information but thought id ask and see what kinda replies I get instead .

What would be the easiest way to cure my bud ? I cant cure in the same grow area as I have some girls in there that need 4 weeks.

Also I would like to smoke a small amount from a few buds while the majority is still curing , As i really dont want to buy more grass. when I have some 100G's right here. So whats the best way to do a fast dry without loosing most of the THC?

Thanks guys . :thanks:

not matter what way you look at it, fast drying is going to cause you to have some pretty harsh smoke, and potentially bad tasting.

if you dont care about this..

although, as it states, its best suited to vaporizers, as they wont be harsh.

for me, when i really wanted to test her out on my first few grows. i would turn my toaster oven on, and put them on a plate ON TOP of the toaster oven (NOT IN) and keep checking them every 10-15 min to flip/move them around. would take about 20-30 min for the little popcorn buds to dry enough to smoke.

since then, i'v just learnt to be patient, as the best smoke, is when you dry them as slow as you can, and cure for at least 2 weeks.

Im about 2 weeks out from harvest but i want to be completely ready mentally as this is my first grow , so far my grow is looking great and thats because I took in lots of information before starting . Now I would like some comments or advise from other growers on curing and fast drying. Ive read tons of information but thought id ask and see what kinda replies I get instead .

What would be the easiest way to cure my bud ? I cant cure in the same grow area as I have some girls in there that need 4 weeks.

Also I would like to smoke a small amount from a few buds while the majority is still curing , As i really dont want to buy more grass. when I have some 100G's right here. So whats the best way to do a fast dry without loosing most of the THC?

Thanks guys . :thanks:

AND you are an early riser or a late to go to sleep person...
Firstly, any method you use to "fast dry" is going to take THC away as the Trichomes are subject to degradation above a few hundred degrees, BUT if you must, I'd expose the bud(s) to a good flow of air coupled with direct sunlight. This will take the least from you. If you could wait about 3-4 days, just air drying will suffice. I find that even 2 days will make a big difference and a good lighter will complete the process as you toke; just keep flame on it. I would NOT microwave or oven dry it either as both will destroy most of the THC and your end result will be very low in potency.
If you can be patient, a good week to 2 will dry it perfectly, dark environment and good air flow. The difference between cured and not cured is night and day. After you've dried it (properly) put it into GLASS containers and allow some fresh air in for 15 minutes to an hour depending on the container size. Do this religiously and you'll achieve the smoothest smoke ever and it only adds a month or less to the overall dry/sure process. The first week I do this daily, even 2X/day if it is hot outside then gradually change to 1x every other day, then 2 days apart, then 3 days apart. This is just MHO and you'll find many varieties on this and the time lines. Obviously, where you hang the stalks to dry has a major impact on how fast it dries. Mine are done in my basement which has a dirt floor, is partially excavated, has no light other than what come through the air vents and has vents on 2 sides of the 4 walls. Slow but steady airflow is key as well as trimming as much of the large leaves before you hang. These leaves block the air from coming in contact with the whole bud. I have dried major colas in as fast as 5 days and as slow as 15! If good air flow isn't realistic, a decent oscillating fan is needed. Good luck, and best wishes...

Depending on your oven (gas or electric) you can set it to 140 degress and put your popcorn in it. At this low temp, your trics should not degrade. The taste on the other hand as the other have stated will be near impossible to tolerate. I use this method for checking potency when harvesting my crop. A few nugs from each plant will allow me to get through the trimming process without cursing out my plants.

By the way, if this is your first ever harvest, smoke ALOT before you do it as it is a mind-numbing experience. I can tell you take details seriously by looking at your other posts and harvesting is all about the details. Don't take it lightly. A good buzz will keep you from going crazy, especially if you have more than 4 plants to cut at once. Also, invite some TRUSTED friends or enlist the aid of your significant other as even 4 plants can take 4 or more hours your first time. Best of luck with the harvest. Post some pics if you get the chance in the brag thread.

Depending on your oven (gas or electric) you can set it to 140 degress and put your popcorn in it. At this low temp, your trics should not degrade. The taste on the other hand as the other have stated will be near impossible to tolerate. I use this method for checking potency when harvesting my crop. A few nugs from each plant will allow me to get through the trimming process without cursing out my plants.

By the way, if this is your first ever harvest, smoke ALOT before you do it as it is a mind-numbing experience. I can tell you take details seriously by looking at your other posts and harvesting is all about the details. Don't take it lightly. A good buzz will keep you from going crazy, especially if you have more than 4 plants to cut at once. Also, invite some TRUSTED friends or enlist the aid of your significant other as even 4 plants can take 4 or more hours your first time. Best of luck with the harvest. Post some pics if you get the chance in the brag thread.

this is where some people differ... i LOVE trimming :) lol.

but as smoke states, they can take a while, my first plant, took me just over an hour to trim up. (final dried weight was about 3 ounces)
i can do it a lot quicker now... but, i can see how a lot of people would find it frustrating :p

Big heavy brown grocery bags.

trim the bud well and clip buds from the stem.

Make only 1 layer of buds per bag.

Close each bag in a "triangle".

Each day turn the bag 1 third.

1.5 weeks = nice smoke

It really depends on the plant. The size of the plant is directly proportionate to the amount of frustration involved. :morenutes: For a 10-15 foot outdoor plant, 3 hours is average per plant for me after 15 years of trimming experience. Hot and humid Texas = large plants overall when you grow outside. a well scrogged or LST'd indoor plant could take equally as long I suppose. Lolly-popping in a tent with 20 plants would be a relatively fast job compared to a single tree from outdoors that was scrogged. But that's personal experience speaking. Others are probably a great deal faster than I am simply because I seek a professional trim for each bud. I hate leaf smoke. :cough:
Regardless how much you read on the matter, you will never be absolutely sure you are doing it right the first time you take a plant. It seems unnatural to cut up a plant you grew from seed. Worse, if you have a compulsion to do it right on your first attempt, you will over-analyze the matter and screw it up anyway.
To this last matter, I submit that you MUST be stoned to do it right. Don’t screw up in the endzone.

you make it sound like trimming a plant is rocket science...

sure you can do it "wrong".. but in the end its not like you "screwed up" you simply didnt do as well as a "professional" would have.

i almost find it insulting that you suggest people cant function properly while not stoned. Not everyone has OCD, and therefor can do it just fine while sober.

Maybe you should read that a few more times friend. You seem to have read far more in to that than I said. Careful with how you respond to people on here as getting an attitude can get you banned bro. You can manicure wrong, expecially if you are making hash or oils. Are you saying that you enjoy stems in your weed? You can trim it in such a manner that the main stem is all that is left. And this takes time. If you have become some kind of mechanically altered mutant then I suppose blowing through a 10 foot plant is a walk in the park for you. And If you enjoy repetitive work then trimming is just for you. Personally, I find it a chore that is a necessity in the process of growing. But it you are going to do something, do it right. I would personally avoid smoking your kind of trim job if you are leaving any leaf on the plant when you smoke, which I must assume you do as taking them ALL off takes time. So smoking a bowl IS a required part of the procedure if you are anything like me. I must say from your jump to hyper-ass in milliseconds, we are probably more alike than I care to admit.

Big heavy brown grocery bags.

trim the bud well and clip buds from the stem.

Make only 1 layer of buds per bag.

Close each bag in a "triangle".

Each day turn the bag 1 third.

1.5 weeks = nice smoke

I agree with Buck.

Personally I would rather cure and dry the plants properly. But if you insist on fast curing n all that the paper bag way works.

I have never tried the paper bag method personally. How do you avoid mold? Does the bag provide a wicking mechanism? I am not being insulting as nibec might assume, I am genuinely interested as this will be the first harvest for me where I am limited on drying space. If bags work equally to air drying then it might be a viable option for me. I assume smell is worse in bags? How do you overcome this? Sorry for the questions in someone elses thread. I realize it may be improper but I hate to start another thread if the person that will answer them is reading this now.

Maybe you should read that a few more times friend. You seem to have read far more in to that than I said. Careful with how you respond to people on here as getting an attitude can get you banned bro. You can manicure wrong, expecially if you are making hash or oils. Are you saying that you enjoy stems in your weed? You can trim it in such a manner that the main stem is all that is left. And this takes time. If you have become some kind of mechanically altered mutant then I suppose blowing through a 10 foot plant is a walk in the park for you. And If you enjoy repetitive work then trimming is just for you. Personally, I find it a chore that is a necessity in the process of growing. But it you are going to do something, do it right. I would personally avoid smoking your kind of trim job if you are leaving any leaf on the plant when you smoke, which I must assume you do as taking them ALL off takes time. So smoking a bowl IS a required part of the procedure if you are anything like me. I must say from your jump to hyper-ass in milliseconds, we are probably more alike than I care to admit.

Thanks for your concern, but I don't see where you are getting that I have an "attitude" with you. I was stating my personal opinion, and you respond with valid points. I'm sorry if you took my previous response as being purposely rude, and directed at you.

I stated above that I love trimming, it's like unwrapping your presents on Xmas day when you were a kid. I take pride in it. And I'm just pointing out, that you stated you HAVE to smoke or you may try too hard and screw it up. And I'm simply putting, that if the person is anything like me, no OCD, and love trimming. That's it's not nessisary. And I found it insulting that you kept pushing that it was nessisary to be stoned.

Sorry if it read the wrong way.

But I agree you can do a poor trimming job, but it's not "wrong" everyone needs to start somewhere, and then you'll learn what you like an don't like. And where to improve. Same as the whole growing process

I agree with the points you made, and perhaps we are.

Anyways. Cheers, no need to start assuming my trim jobs are leafy. And horrible. Like I said, I take pride in them.

So on topic. Sorry

Waxy cardboard boxes, lined with wax paper and a bunch of holes is a way that's been suggested to me, I'm yet to try it. But apparently it takes a long time.

Just continue to move them around everyday once or twice . And it should work great. That's if your willing to spend a couple weeks drying it.

I have never tried the paper bag method personally. How do you avoid mold? Does the bag provide a wicking mechanism? I am not being insulting as nibec might assume, I am genuinely interested as this will be the first harvest for me where I am limited on drying space. If bags work equally to air drying then it might be a viable option for me. I assume smell is worse in bags? How do you overcome this? Sorry for the questions in someone elses thread. I realize it may be improper but I hate to start another thread if the person that will answer them is reading this now.

The bag leeches water out of the buds. Granted I only tried it once, with very tiny premature buds when I was 16. But it did work, really fast too. I just took a regular brown paper bag, spread all the buds on the bottom then put the bag in my sock drawer.

To fast dry I'll close a weekends worth of bud in a shoe box along with a couple tbsp of Damp Rid in an open waterproof container. Don't let the DR and bud touch. This will dry your bud quickly w/ no degradation ... if possible hang for a day or more before putting it in the box. Your weed will be harsh but dry ... careful not to let it get too dry ... after about 24 hrs it should be smokable ... if you can, let it breath until you smoke it and use a pipe. If you live in a damp environment, a closet damp rid container closed up in a wardrobe moving box will dry your weed ... helps to have a hygrometer available .... be careful not to over dry since DR is very effective.

:thumb:

When it comes to growing something that is illegal i dont trust anybody but my wife , and some friends that are across the ocean which cant even report me if they needed to due to the language barrier hahaha. Also I think ill be smoking almost all the plant, I use to smoke cigarettes but switched to weed leafs mixed with buds. So the harvest for me is gonna be easy as im gonna be using almost all of it :)

Id like to thank everybody for your input and advise of different ways to dry and cure my buds.
Thinking the brown bag special will work just fine with me , but what if i wanted to cure my buds the right way , 1-2 weeks process . whats the easiest way to do it ?
I read and saw somebody tie the buds up to a string and than hang'em upside down in a cardboard box and than closed the box. Anybody know about that method ?

Id like to thank everybody for your input and advise of different ways to dry and cure my buds.
Thinking the brown bag special will work just fine with me , but what if i wanted to cure my buds the right way , 1-2 weeks process . whats the easiest way to do it ?
I read and saw somebody tie the buds up to a string and than hang'em upside down in a cardboard box and than closed the box. Anybody know about that method ?

You can simply hang-dry them anywhere that's mostly dark and has some circulation. Thats about a five day deal. Then, get some plastic jars with good seals and place the buds in those. Every 24 hours or so, open the jar and release the air. Wait a few moments and seal it back up again. Repeat for to weeks or longer. I know, seems like it takes forever but it's damned worth proper dry and cure for bud quality and flavor. :)

Thought Id update this post with the way that i finally decided to try and I think it worked very good.
I put some small buds between some Tinfoil and then put it on top of my ballast for 3hrs turning it every 45mins to an hour. After I did that I tried her out right away , and it was not harsh to my taste and was very well dried just right in my opinion.
The high was pretty instant , and descent for bud that was only 3-4 weeks into flowering . Got the munchies pretty quick too. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom