Easy Strain For First Time Grower

tucker99

On my first grow and cheez, there are so many strains to pick from. I'm week 3 into Nirvana Chrystal and should have asked this question first. As a newb what is the most user friendly, forgiving of stupid newb mistakes strain to start with using a hydro grow method?

High Tucker99

Like you say there are so many to choose from and it's like being a kid in a candy store when trying to choose.

I'm more into sativas than indicas but have grown a lot of both over the decades. I'm also not really up on all the various strains that are out there but you can't go far wrong with most kush varieties. Seem to grow great in hydro or any other medium without a lot of fuss. They like higher nute levels than sativas in general so if they have lots to eat and plenty of light they seem to do great. Shorter flowering times and really decent yields with lots of sugar is the norm.

Other than DWC I like growing in ProMix HP using AN's pH Perfect Sensi Grow in veg and the Connoisseur for flowering. Just those alone will grow decent plants but I use some Rhino Skin, Big Bud and a bit of Calmag to help them along and it's really hard to mess up.

L8r

Thanks gents, is there a strain that is better than others for a scrog grow under LED's? Thanks for the help!

Nirvana's Northern Light is a strain I recommend to most new growers. It was the plant I chose for my first DWC hydro. Resilient, forgiving and resistant to mold. You can't go wrong, plus you will get another 10 freebies. I grow nirvanas Aurora Indica.

I always buy from nirvana, they have some good strains.... Their AK-48 has always been easy, fast, and good yields... For my winter grow i'm gonna try Grow Kings Purple Kush... I'm tired of green pot... It would match your light..... Will start on a new 3'x3' scrog on Aug 15 with an Ice clone.. I'll be using the new Sunsystems 315 lec... It may need a 5 week veg to fill the screen...

Must be getting really old... Forgot i answered that in another thread...

Thanks gents, is there a strain that is better than others for a scrog grow under LED's? Thanks for the help!

I have zero experience with LED's. I've invested a lot in the system I have (HID) and it serves me well, and I am resistant to change, so ...

But, I have extensive experience with SCROG. IMHO it is the only way to grow indoors if you want weight, and if you want to use your lights efficiently. From what I understand about LED - it is about the only way to go as the LED doesn't penetrate down to lower branches very well, so a canopy is necessary. One of these days I will set up one of my tables with a couple of LED lights and find out which is best, but right now if you research it, you will find five people all reporting ten different opinions about LED. And, the only opinion that I trust is my own; so I'm just going to have to do my own test - and add one more opinion to the chorus (but, at least it will be the RIGHT opinion).

As for the strain, you want something that will branch out ... lots of side branches. Also, you want something that is hearty, bug and disease resistant, forgiving of mistakes, recovers quickly from mistakes, AND produces weight and quality. Not much to ask for, eh? Up until recently I went with the Kush family. My favorite being OG or Bubba. But, the last grow I did was with a new strain, well new to me (see comment above about being resistant to change). She is called C99 Cindy. I am a big fan of her. She has all of the above qualities, and more.

Let us know how the LED's work out.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom