Experienced grower, new room setup help

SpaceMonkey611

Hello, I have been growing in a spare room for years now. I am now building a new room and i am having trouble deciding on a few factors. In the past, I've grown 3-5 rather tall and fat plants (training and topping) in a 10x10 room under a 1000watt hps. My new room, however, I plan to make it much larger (17x14 or bigger) and do it the "right" way (proper lighting, ventilation, clean, etc)

I want to utilize my space and energy and maximize my yeild. I plan to upgrade to LEDs and let the antique hps collect dust.

Is it better to do Sea of green method and do a lot of small plants or do a large grow room with less plants but use the training/topping method to make them bigger and taller ( i have unlimited roof space, 20+foot).

Sea of green:
what size lights
average amount of plants for a 17x14 room?
will yield be more?

Topping/trimming
what size lights
average amount of plants for 17x14
how many plants per light
will yield be more this method?

Bigger, better trained plants over lots of smalls any day.:thumb:

I haven’t seen an led that compares to the 1000 watt hps so I’m useless here. I read that they exist but I really don’t know.
thank you! atleast thats 1 vote. Main reason im switching to LED is because of the heat. My current room is hard to ventilate and its very hard to control the heat during the summer months (attic bedroom). Plus i like the fact that I can utilize the light spectrum more with leds (UV vs Inferred or w/e)

LED is one option but a costly one. I much prefer to run multiple 600w hps. I work in the metric system so i have no idea how big that space is in meters but as a rule 1 600w hos covers 0.8m2 comfortably. you get a much better spread of light as you can run more and have them closer to plants.

As far as plants go id say 4 per m2 max or 4 plants per light max. veg period of about 6 weeks will yield 16-22oz dry per 600w light.

I dont top, i just bend and keep bottom 1/3 of plants clean.

Back
Top Bottom