First CFL Grow Using 30 Watt CFLs

@miwa, so your auto flowered under 24-0, did you finish it on that schedule as well, i have read they will flower under 24-0 but i have also read they need some dark period so i have given mine 20-4, but if they will flower under 24-0 then surely this will increase the yield, or does giving it some dark period force it to enter the stretch like a plant under 12-12, i think this needs looking into, ill keep mine under 20-4 till finish then ill possibly try some other auto, would like to get some auto seeds at some point by my own breeding but im not ready for that yet,

@miwa, so your auto flowered under 24-0, did you finish it on that schedule as well, i have read they will flower under 24-0 but i have also read they need some dark period so i have given mine 20-4, but if they will flower under 24-0 then surely this will increase the yield, or does giving it some dark period force it to enter the stretch like a plant under 12-12, i think this needs looking into, ill keep mine under 20-4 till finish then ill possibly try some other auto, would like to get some auto seeds at some point by my own breeding but im not ready for that yet,
I have a auto (la musa) under 12/12 from seed and its doing well at 3 weeks :D I'll let ya know how it ends up D.P

@ curso, i av got a fem seed 12-12 from seed and its a 2ltr dwc hempie. its got 1 huge bud, to big to put my hand around it, so im hoping its going to give me a huge bud when its finished flowering,

let us know what happens to your auto, it will be good to have something to compare the grows to, what are you growing it under, my g13 poisen dwarf is under 12-12 as i dont have the room to keep it under 20-4, but my auto bomb is under 20-4, my g13 is way to far past its due date, its go to be getting on 10 weeks now, but it had stunted growth for the first 4 or 5 weeks it only started growing when it started to show flowers, the auto bomb showed pistils at 2 weeks so is not actually in flower yet, but its the same size as the g13, both plants are now the same size, possibly due to me keeping them in smaller pots than they need, i am going to transplant the g13 and see if it will get bigger, looking at it i should get between 1/2 oz and 1oz, all been well, but ill find out when its finished,

let us know how yours goes and what the yield was,

mine went from 24/0 with the clones to 10/14 with my flowering plants to outside in the sun at 13/11...maybe thats why she was f*cked up...she was confused..lol

@miwa, sounds like you had it all over the place, but it still didnt go hermie so couldnt of stressed it that much, how much did you get off it, and did it show sex under 24-0 or flower at all, my normal auto showed sex at 2 weeks and it seems its not in flower yet its in the stretch phase me thinks, my g13 is in flower but its gone as long as a normal plant so thinking the strain wasnt that stable, but my auto bomb from greenhouse seeds seems to be going as it should and is on to finish when it said it would, all been well that is.

i just want to try and find out whats best from auto's, i will be growing them along side my grow so ill have some during the veg stage under veg schedule then ill grow some under 12-12 when my non auto plants are in flower, i have grown the autos for their quick finish and to give me a smoke in between waiting for the none auto to finish,

@miwa, 10-14, whats that about, does it actually work, are you giving it 10 hours light then 14 dark, is this 14 dark for the whole flower cycle, what are the benefits of doing that, does it work for all strains, ive not read many journals that change the time schedule for flower, the only other schedule i have come across is the glr flower method which is the deminishing light schedule which is meant to follow the way nature does the light,

ive always been told 12-12 is the best method so what have you found using the 10-14 method, did it increase yield or bud size, thc levels, etc etc

i just cut my auto,,,i chopped the top half...36 gr...wet...haven;t did the bottom ...she showed flowers in 14 days under 24/0 in my clone room...the 10/14 lighting was when my plants were in flower..i did not do a compare test...i did save a lot in elect..lol...i read about that 10/14 somewhere...i'll try to find it for you...

I'll add a pic of my auto critical that's under 12/12 on my journal for you dp, It's definitely the ugly duckling that could! it was the ugliest bushiest plant i've seen for a while but now she is beautiful and shes gonna yield a massive solid bud bigger then any of my plants (maybe 1oz dry!). I'm so happy it took so long to flower because the auto la diva I have is almost finished and looks tiny/waste of time. maybe 3g dry on her.

Yeah I threw my La Musa into 12/12 under 8 23w 2700k cfl's (they're all on this plant) just to see how it would do. It was a free seed so I figured "hey why not, whats the worst that can happen". I'll post some pics when it's worth looking at, the spacing is nice, the color is good, I'm really in no rush for it. I just going to let it do its thing and just be a plant. I have the room to do it atm. Just waiting for the paid for seeds to veg for a while...I have more light but I really wanted to see what the cfl can do, after watching your grow along with a few others, little to no heat is pretty nice.

i think my clones have taken the monster cropping technique, they seem to be shooting loads of side branches off at all angles, not like opposite each other, seems like their going a bit crazy if you ask me, the one would make a perfect 2ltr hempie, but i want to veg a bit so ill leave it and put it in a bigger pot and have it as normal plant, should be interesting with all the growth,

i am undecided about doing a scrog or not, in my grow room i could have a scrog running at the back and the width of the room about 3ft, now i have got an ideal clone for this, it has got 2 stems growing from ground level, not sure how it happened or why it happened, it was a top i cut off one of the plants, and now its got 2 stems both growing out of the soil, so not sure if the stem got damaged and split into 2 or not, i dont want to dig around in the soil to find out what happened, but it looks perfect for a scrog, it has 2 main stems and i could have the plant in the middle of the scrog and have 1 stem growing to the left and 1 growing to the right, so this should fill the scrog, or my other option would be to use another grow room and set up only cfls and do a scrog that way, then i could use a whole 3ft by 3ft room,

my delicious fruity chronic juice is now growing its set of first leaves, will be giving another feed of bpn tomorrow at some point,

2ltr dwc hempie, looks amazing, cant wait to harvest this beast, i think it should give me at least an oz in 1 bud, its getting really fat, and if i hold the stem at soil level in give it a gentle wiggle, it really feels top heavy, so need to be careful not to knock it over, but i think it will give me a good return, and considering the space it takes up its amazing what you get back, i could fit 100 2ltr hempies in my grow, watering would be a pain, but for now ill do 2 or 3 2ltr hempies in with my plants that will be in bigger pots, it seems forcing all the growth onto the stem really does produce huge buds, i would really love a nice purple strain, i got the cool night time temps so would benefit from that, so if anyone can give me a name of a strain that normally produces some nice purple colours then let me know and ill order some seeds,

G13 poisen dwarf, this is well in flower now and the buds are getting harder now and getting some weight to them, i wont put it in another pot as it seems ok and its not getting much bigger now its just giving me buds and trichs so i think ill be ok with that one.

greenhouse seeds auto bomb, i have done some lst to this, it had the main stem then 4 other main stems, these where the lower branches but they was growing really close to the main stem and was stopping any light getting into the stem to get the growth at the nodes, so i have used pipe cleaners and pulled all 4 branches down and outwards and its really opened it up and let all the light in and its growing like crazy, within 48 hours of doing lst it has grown an inch at each of the 4 branches i tied down, its still not in full flower, it is starting to flower and has pistils all over the place but think its got more growing to do yet, this will possibly be going into a bigger pot.

so here is my plan.
1, when the 2ltr dwc hempie has finished ill flip the lights to either 18-6 or 20-4, i was thinking about glr and have not decided yet what i want, as the autos will flower under any light im not to bothered about waiting for them to finish.
2, at the moment in veg i have got the following
1x delicious fruity chronic juice femenised from seed,
2 x ak47 cross uk cherry cheese, clones
2 x northern lights cross big bud femenised clones
1x special kush clone,
these go under the hps when its on and under cfls for the other time and they are under 20-4 at the moment, all are growing well and now they have rooted they are really taking off, the nl x bb clone is growing 100 times better than its mother plant did, its nearly as tall as it was when i flipped it to flower so something has changed this time, i wasnt using bpn for my first go and the mother plant didnt get bpn till about 4 or 5 weeks in, so im wondering if bpn has made this huge difference, also i got 2 clones taken from the same part of the plant and both the same size, i been feeding the 1 with veg 1 bpn schedule and i have been feeding the other with bpn crazy growth schedule, now the difference between these 2 is huge, one is a couple of inches high, the other is getting on 8 inches high, is this the different schedules causing this.

right back to my plant,
the delicious fruity chronic juice will be vegd as normal plant, i dont think ill top or lst this time round, i may tie branches out the way to let light in but i wont be training it like the 1st 2 plants i did, im not sure how it affects yield but id like to see if not doing lst will give me bigger buds as the stem will be the main bud, so i want to see the difference,
1 x nl x bb will also be grown as is and this is the one big clone i have got now, it wont be lst or topped etc etc, it will be grown as is so i can compare the yield from the plants i just harvested,
1 x ak47 cross uk cherry cheese will also be grown as is as the 2ltr hempie looks and smells amazing without stinking the place out so ill grow one of these out as well,

so that leaves me with 1 special kush, 1 nl x bb and 1 ak47 x uk cherry cheese, now im not sure what to do with these, i have the choice of a scrog with the clone with 2 stems, i also can do some 2ltr dwc hempie, so thats that im thinking, i think ill try the kush as a 2ltr dwc hempie as im not to impressed with the smell and how the bud tastes when smoked, i thought it would be my night time smoke but unless it changes when its dried properly then im not to impressed with it, the nl x bb is a lot better smoke, well so far but the nl is dried and curing so should be better, the kush is still hanging and drying so i may change my mind, the kush produced bigger buds, so im thinking about 2ltr hempie with the kush and nl x bb just so i can see what it does as hempie,

then my plan is not to take any clones from the kush or nl x bb, i wont know about clones from the ak47 till after i have sampled it, i have got seeds in stock to grow new strains but i dont want to soak any more and end up with a load of plants i have not got room for,

so thats my goal over the next few weeks, to finish this first flower round off and move on to veg number 2,

if anyone can give me any strains that produce purple nearly all the time, and im after something really tangy to smoke, really fruity and not so much skunky but still with good levels of thc, i have smoked some amazing bud in the past but never know what it was called so if i can try and find some very tangy fruity buds then ill be a very happy man,

you know we are playing god when growing these plants, well why do we have to give the plants a 24 hour day, the plants need 12 hours dark to make the calyx start flowering, or something like that, people also grow the plants under 24-0 so these plants are not growing under the 24 hour cycle due to it having no dark period, i have been reading about this 10-14 or 10 light 14 dark, some say it reduces yield due to it having less stored energy from the lack of light, others say you can either reduce the amount of light used or reduce the daylight hours towards the end of flower to force the plant into growing more trichs, so i think this works similar to the diminishing light schedule,

anyway back to what i was thinking about, in nature the plants grow under a 24 hour night and day cycle, these plants will clearly grow under 24-0 so they dont need the day night cycle to promote health or growth, as the plants need 12 hours of dark to start flower and to finish flowering, and any light during the dark period will stop it flowering such as the glr method,

i know its a lot to take in but im thinking what if the 12 hours of dark was given but you then gave the plant 14 hours of light to grow, now as the plant is still in flower due to the dark period, as it clearly says the plants need 12hours of dark to enter flower and finish flower, so as long as the plant gets its 12 hours of dark it should flower, but would increasing the daylight hours to say 14-12 increase yield, its giving the plant more time to grow but still giving it the 12 hours of dark period.

has anyone tried this, or even adding another hour to the light period to see what happens, i know this would make no difference to autos but would it make a difference to regular fem plants,

is their any reason why i shouldnt try this with my round 2 of flower, say i veg for as long as i want and when im ready give the plants the 14-12 and see what happens, if i do this after vegging them then i can tell if the plants are going to flower or not, it would be no good starting this half way through a flower cycle, but if i switched from 20-4 to 14-12 when i wanted to go to flower, then as im using clones they should flower as soon as i flip the lights, so if they wasnt going to flower under 14-12, then they wont after 2 weeks and ill just flip the lights to 12-12, but if they did flower would this mean i get a bigger yield due to the extra 2 hours of growing time, has anyone tried this or got any input on this idea,

i dont mind trying it, i dont think it will stress the plant as i wont be doing it half way through flower, instead of i go from veg to 14-12 and see what happens, then if it does enter flower and start flowering would it mean the buds will be bigger due to the extra 2 hours of light, or even just an extra hour of light, i think as long as i leave the dark at 12 hours then this should keep them in flower, we give these plants 24-0 sometimes and they grow well so clearly they are not governed by the 24 hour day night cycle, so say a day had 36 hours, could this work

or even 6-12, give it 6 hours light and 12 hours dark, this would mean the plant gets its dark period sooner, as we are growing indoors and control the lights i dont see why we need to stick with 12-12, its like the new grow methods, if people dont try them then you never know if its better or not, so this time for the first couple of weeks of flower im going to try giving my plants 14-12 and see what happens, if they dont start flowering after 2 weeks then i have lost nothing, but if they do flower and continue to flower then surely this would produce a bigger yield or at the very least cut the flower time down by a couple of days, if it dont produce more yield then the extra hours should reduce the amount if time needed to finish flower, if it does flower under 14-12 then it can only give bigger yield or shorter flower time till finish, im trying to find anyone that has tried these times

just read something interesting about the veg cycle, a test was done and it found that plants grew under 18-6 and 20-4 and 24-0 all had the same amount of nodes, the test was done on clones from same plant and many clones was used to make it a fair test.

now the results found out that all the clones had grew the same amount of nodes, but what it also found was the plants under 18-6 was taller than 24-0 and 20-4 was in the middle of the 2, now all the clones had the same amount of nodes, but the plants under 24-0 where shorter and nodes closer together, the clones under 18-6 had the exact same amount of nodes but the spacing in between the nodes was a lot bigger, so they concluded that the dark period makes them stretch so the plants under 24-0 would be shorter but have the same amount of nodes,

so under 18-6 the plants will be taller than 20-4 and 24-0 but have the same amount if nodes, now the only thing this test didnt show was the flower results, does having tighter nodes give you more growth, or having the nodes more spaced out makes the buds grow bigger, it never gave them results, so would a plant 8 nodes high give the same yield if the plants where smaller, so now my problem is, do i go with 18-6 for veg or 20-4, i will need dark period to keep costs down, so not sure what to do, the plants i just harvested wouldnt get tall they stayed very short, but i had my lights on 24-0 and 20-4, so ill try 18-6 and see how the growth is, so many different things to try and working out what gives the best back is the hard part, even if the difference was only say 1/4oz per plant then that would add up over a few plants

I'm not sure why people veg with 16/20/24 hours of light. 11 hours of light is average for most area's during autumnal equinox (end of flower) and 14 hours of light during the summer solstice(spring/summer) and 13 hours of light when you should of started flower. Unless you live in the far north/far south near the poles you just don't get 16 hours of light.

If you lived near the equator you have 12/12 every day no matter what.

The closest you could get to a outdoor crop would be starting at 13 hours of light at seedling moving upto 14 hours of light for main part of veg, then work you way down in steps finishing at 11.5 hours.

I mite even have a go at it.

link mite help you with you new ideas. Daylight Hours Explorer

Oh and about the yield, I have no idea on hours but i find tall plant just throw big buds up top and popcorn/imature bud at the lower branches.

I think it more about how you use you light/how much you have/what medium/what nutes. then how much light is given. it all has to work together and a vertical light will make almost any plant produce a lot more because the light is used over the plant more efficiently.

I normally veg under 16/8 but I've just been lazy this grow and done 24/0. This time I have cfl's so I have nothing to compare it too. my next grow I'll be doing 16/8 again. I'll know then if it stretches more then.

oh and gimme 5mins and I'll put the auto's on my journal. forgot to do it other day.

thanks for the link jimm and the input, if people dont try these different ideas then who knows what is going to work, its just getting it all set up and the timers running properly and making sure its all kept as controlled as possible, it is something i am going to look into, outdoors they grow under 24hour cycle, but indoors we give them constant light for weeks some times so this is not giving them their 24 hour cycle, so im thinking that the plants dont rely on the 24hour clock as much and rely on the amount of light they get, im trying to read what i can to find out whats been done and what hasnt,

thanks for the input

Back
Top Bottom