First ever harvest

Congratz on your first harvest :thumb:

Reminded me of first harvest so long ago ye card board box with string lines just like yours ! blast from the past that one.

As a couple other have mention the slow air dry is best 10 to 14 days average with temp about 20c but managing the humidity is the tricky part as you are in the shed & you still can get bud rot whilst drying as relative humidity in general will increase during the night !

I normally back this up with dehumidifier.

Yup, leave the lid on. Do you have a hydrometer to measure humidity ?
Cool thanks for that I’ve been changing it around and taking lid on and off every few hours. Put the fan to it for a few mins a couple of times after I washed the buds to dry off excess water. Really hope this works I’m freaking out about mould and bud rot. Obviously in the house would be ideal but living with parent limits my options pray for the dry

Congratz on your first harvest :thumb:

Reminded me of first harvest so long ago ye card board box with string lines just like yours ! blast from the past that one.

As a couple other have mention the slow air dry is best 10 to 14 days average with temp about 20c but managing the humidity is the tricky part as you are in the shed & you still can get bud rot whilst drying as relative humidity in general will increase during the night !

I normally back this up with dehumidifier.
Thanks! Had a lot of fun doing it but was also a pain in the ass just pray it drys okay, I haven’t got the best feeling about it but hopefully I’m wrong . Only have a little cheap dehumidifier I need to get a proper one I don’t think the one I have is any use but I will put it in there to be safe thanks

I normally dry in the grow tent these days & leave the extraction fan running for air flow the dehumidifier sits out side of the spare room door where the tent is... I use passive intake on the tent extracting up the chimney with dehumidifier treating any air going into the room.

Now extraction fans move X volume of air per Hr as do Humidifiers treat X volume of air per Hr & if you put the dehumidifier in the tent with extraction running are you achieving any thing ? which one treats or removes largest volume !

That is a fine point.

The first few days of drying is when you bud is most prone so I try to get RH to around 50% after that & for remaining period 60% RH is pretty alright for slow air dry... ideally around 20c pretty tight to pull off with variable conditions of a shed.

Technical advice.

10508ae6-3a06-4f40-9861-0718c3f4e716-jpeg.2185880

just be aware that cardboard on it's own will act as a desiccant, pulling moisture from the buds faster than would normally migrate in another environment.

with your ambient rh - 73% - this should not be a huge issue, but should be something to be aware of

Cool thanks for that I’ve been changing it around and taking lid on and off every few hours. Put the fan to it for a few mins a couple of times after I washed the buds to dry off excess water. Really hope this works I’m freaking out about mould and bud rot. Obviously in the house would be ideal but living with parent limits my options pray for the dry
Keep the fan on low, put it inside the box on the floor, facing away from your buds. Face it against the wall if you have to.

Stagnant air is your enemy.

I still have one plant in the tent with 2 weeks left on it, the tent would be the ideal growing preference!
I had that situation on my first grow. After a few days in a bathroom I had to move it back to the tent, because the smell really carried. I rigged up a narrow box in the tent that blocked the lamp light and opened to a side vent. I blew a fan through the vent at an angle on low. It wasn't pretty, but it worked well enough. There's another method called low and slow that involves the fridge. Never done it, but some people on here recommend it. :nomo: :hookah:

You need to move the air in the box. I'd point a fan at an angle from the outside so it goes into the holes but not swaying the buds. :nomo:

The other issue is smell. Is there a reason you aren't drying in the tent?
Just done this and pointed the fan through the air holes. Let’s hope it works.. and I’m not too worried about the smell outside , I have a plant with two weeks left to go in the tent

so it's out of the box and in the closet at 77% rh ?

keep air going and don't bottle up the closet or close the door if possible. it shoulda come down in 10 - 14 days. mold only spreads ..

so it's out of the box and in the closet at 77% rh ?

keep air going and don't bottle up the closet or close the door if possible. it shoulda come down in 10 - 14 days. mold only spreads ..
This is what my humidity gauge is looking like, and this is the way I have it set up with the fan? I’m confident enough with this route, lost all confidence with the shed after the first night yea this is the 5th day of the dry. Got rid of all the mouldy bits too, never knew the extent of how hard drying is, specially with The stupid Irish climate
6F96DC0F-26DF-428E-890D-B0934BA85549.jpeg
ABF8BE51-5774-4165-895A-31EBD9CB67E3.jpeg

Man I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. you want 70% RH, but slowly

The idea for the fan is to have indirect airflow. air bouncing off the walls in to the buds is indirect. Fan moving air straight into buds is direct airflow.

Do you have a dehumidifier handy? If not, or the funds there are methods to drop humidity in a pinch. Using uncented moisture grabbers (used in RVs and cottages) are cheap. There is tons of methods...but firstly, do you have a dehumidifier? Lol

Back
Top Bottom