First ever harvest

Man I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. you want 70% RH, but slowly

The idea for the fan is to have indirect airflow. air bouncing off the walls in to the buds is indirect. Fan moving air straight into buds is direct airflow.

Do you have a dehumidifier handy? If not, or the funds there are methods to drop humidity in a pinch. Using uncented moisture grabbers (used in RVs and cottages) are cheap. There is tons of methods...but firstly, do you have a dehumidifier? Lol
Thanks for that, just changed fan around. Wasn’t directly at buds but now it’s bouncing off the walls onto buds. And no I haven’t got a dehumidifier. I Have to wait til next week til I have the funds , Be too late for this grow but I hate a gelato plant still in the tent with two weeks left so atleast il have it for that one. I will pick up two of those cheap dehumidifiers your on about , I know the ones! Could you recommend a good electric dehumidifier? Been checking them out but I wanna get the best, once it’s not ridiculously dear

Thanks for that, just changed fan around. Wasn’t directly at buds but now it’s bouncing off the walls onto buds. And no I haven’t got a dehumidifier. I Have to wait til next week til I have the funds , Be too late for this grow but I hate a gelato plant still in the tent with two weeks left so atleast il have it for that one. I will pick up two of those cheap dehumidifiers your on about , I know the ones! Could you recommend a good electric dehumidifier? Been checking them out but I wanna get the best, once it’s not ridiculously dear
Somebody more experienced might be able to recommend a good dehumidifier. I tried a mini one in my cabinet and I landed up needed a moisture grabber on top of the mini dehumidifier to keep humidity in check.

This is what my humidity gauge is looking like, and this is the way I have it set up with the fan? I’m confident enough with this route, lost all confidence with the shed after the first night yea this is the 5th day of the dry. Got rid of all the mouldy bits too, never knew the extent of how hard drying is, specially with The stupid Irish climate
6F96DC0F-26DF-428E-890D-B0934BA85549.jpeg
ABF8BE51-5774-4165-895A-31EBD9CB67E3.jpeg
It's a lot easier in doors. I live in England, so same deal. For the US readers they probably don't realise that the massive majority of us have central (non-vent) heating without AC. In doors really damps the effect of the outdoors, but it's what drives things. As humans we generally have no use for it. It's really helpful for growing weed.

I use a dehumidifier brand called Comfee and it works great for all intended purposes. Picked it up for around $150.. it’s specs are 40 pint, 1500 sq foot dehumidifier. So I recommend anything along those lines when you start shopping. Honeywell, H0melab, and Shinco are all good in my book.

...Curing your post harvest blues.....
Thanks for posting.

I'm very intrigued by this. Every other drying/curing guide/tutorial/tips I've read (in the tens by now) have stablished a pretty standard process of:
- 50% RH in the drying box
- hang for however many days to reach buds "feeling right", thick stems breaking, but not snapping off clean, thin stems snapping off clean
- jar and aim for 62%

The posted guide operates with way higher humidity levels. It also says that the cure is dead at 55%(!).

My first dry/cure attempts were good. The drying happened at 50% RH or less, for 6-7 days. The cure was in jars with 62% humidity packs. The buds had nice terpene smells emanating from the jars, distinctly different between the strains. I did not know what I did back then... My subsequent cures have alternated between bud that doesn't smell anything in jar (maybe a weak smell of "plant"), to budd that has gone through a couple of smells only to stabilize at the not-much-smell after a couple of months - only when you break them apart here's an earhthy/pine good ganja smell.

I'm getting desperate for a repeat of my first cures, so I'm going to take some cues from this guide for my upcoming harvest. It may well be that I've dried the buds too much in the past, although I believed it was the opposite (yes, I'm confused now). A bit scary with those high RH levels when you're conditioned to stay lower and have had a couple of rounds of bud rot (I note that the OP had rot in drying at ~70% RH...). However, I have nothing to lose - I need to find my curing game!

Hi everyone. Washed my crop and now have it hanging to dry in my shed, this is the best I could come up with, what do you all think?
Congrats on the harvest. There's nothing as sweet as your first homegrown flowers! :)

I'm very interested in hearing how your cure goes - I hope you'll post a smell and smoke report in this thread.

Thanks for posting.

I'm very intrigued by this. Every other drying/curing guide/tutorial/tips I've read (in the tens by now) have stablished a pretty standard process of:
- 50% RH in the drying box
- hang for however many days to reach buds "feeling right", thick stems breaking, but not snapping off clean, thin stems snapping off clean
- jar and aim for 62%

The posted guide operates with way higher humidity levels. It also says that the cure is dead at 55%(!).

My first dry/cure attempts were good. The drying happened at 50% RH or less, for 6-7 days. The cure was in jars with 62% humidity packs. The buds had nice terpene smells emanating from the jars, distinctly different between the strains. I did not know what I did back then... My subsequent cures have alternated between bud that doesn't smell anything in jar (maybe a weak smell of "plant"), to budd that has gone through a couple of smells only to stabilize at the not-much-smell after a couple of months - only when you break them apart here's an earhthy/pine good ganja smell.

I'm getting desperate for a repeat of my first cures, so I'm going to take some cues from this guide for my upcoming harvest. It may well be that I've dried the buds too much in the past, although I believed it was the opposite (yes, I'm confused now). A bit scary with those high RH levels when you're conditioned to stay lower and have had a couple of rounds of bud rot (I note that the OP had rot in drying at ~70% RH...). However, I have nothing to lose - I need to find my curing game!

Congrats on the harvest. There's nothing as sweet as your first homegrown flowers! :)

I'm very interested in hearing how your cure goes - I hope you'll post a smell and smoke report in this thread.

I just finished a harvest, drying and I'm currently curing based on the guide I found. I used my grow space to help keep things dialed in, and with the ability to keep my extraction ventilation fan on low, I had a constant supply of clean fresh air. Seems to work fine! The biggest and key things to remember are:

Constant airflow (indirect)

Slow dry! I attempted a 14 day dry....it happened in 7 instead, but everything else is on track.

Keep humidity where it needs to be based on stage of drying/curing.

so I’ve had it drying now since Thursday, most of it is dry and branches are snapping, not sure if I’ve speed dried it a little bit but I’m pretty happy! Took a little bud that was nice and dry so I smoked just for the fun of it and it was tasty! Just has a little tiny bit of a hay smell so gonna slap in jars for the cure, might wait til tomorrow to give it an extra day hanging or should I put in jars now? The crop is say 80% dry should I wait for the 100% yea?

so I’ve had it drying now since Thursday, most of it is dry and branches are snapping, not sure if I’ve speed dried it a little bit but I’m pretty happy! Took a little bud that was nice and dry so I smoked just for the fun of it and it was tasty! Just has a little tiny bit of a hay smell so gonna slap in jars for the cure, might wait til tomorrow to give it an extra day hanging or should I put in jars now? The crop is say 80% dry should I wait for the 100% yea?
The hay smell will be replaced by that lovely fragrance of MJ as it cures. The potency will also go up!

Without being there, your in the best possible position to judge, keep an eye on local weather, if you know a spike in humidity is coming that can effect to wait or not.

Also....dont over fill the jars or you'll be back in mould territory!

And lastly...enjoy :cheer: :cheer: :passitleft: :cheer:

Ok sounds like every think is looking good Smokeypep14 don't rush into doing the curing in till you are sure the bud is dry other wise rot in the jar... so you have take a bit time with the larger colas of bud to dry.

I use Delonghi Des 14 dehumidifier i'm just in an average 2 bed mid terraced house in the UK I think it pulls just under 200w per hour, its got a some sort silver coated screen in the back which helps cleans the air of bad stuff should be explained on their website.

:thumb:

Ok sounds like every think is looking good Smokeypep14 don't rush into doing the curing in till you are sure the bud is dry other wise rot in the jar... so you have take a bit time with the larger colas of bud to dry.

I use Delonghi Des 14 dehumidifier i'm just in an average 2 bed mid terraced house in the UK I think it pulls just under 200w per hour, its got a some sort silver coated screen in the back which helps cleans the air of bad stuff should be explained on their website.

:thumb:
Thanks man! I put it in jars yesterday as I was terrified of getting mold! The whole crop was 80/90% dry and crispy so I’m opening the jars at 7am til 8:30am then 1pm til 4pm and then 8pm til 10pm. Juggling this between work been having a couple smokes of it and it gets ya baked but hasn’t the best flavour . Can get hits sometimes that taste beautiful, it’s all about the cure I suppose

Don't jar it until the hay smell is gone. That's chlorophyll.
Thanks man! I put it in jars yesterday as I was terrified of getting mold! The whole crop was 80/90% dry and crispy so I’m opening the jars at 7am til 8:30am then 1pm til 4pm and then 8pm til 10pm. Juggling this between work been having a couple smokes of it and it gets ya baked but hasn’t the best flavour . Can get hits sometimes that taste beautiful, it’s all about the cure I suppose
if they still had a hay smell (Chloryphyl) you jarred them too soon. You can keep doing what you’re doing. It just takes a couple more weeks of actively burping the jars. Do you have humidity gauges and Bovida packs for your jars? :nomo:

Don't jar it until the hay smell is gone. That's chlorophyll.

if they still had a hay smell (Chloryphyl) you jarred them too soon. You can keep doing what you’re doing. It just takes a couple more weeks of actively burping the jars. Do you have humidity gauges and Bovida packs for your jars? :nomo:
Oh shit! Yeah I’ll just keep burping the jars at the schedule I’m doing so, I have humidity gauges and it does be between 70-80% humidity . And I never heard of bovida packs until now atleast I’ll know for my next grow! I thought the growing was going to be hard, never even researched about curing until the week I was chopping it down

Drying to fast can trap the chlorophyll in the bud longer than expected ! If drying conditions are good the hay smell slowly changes towards the end & then ya get some aroma from the dried herb. The bud in general has a mild smell but when freshly grind the bud the aroma is released along with back ground hints & their will be subtle change over the days in its sit in you grinder (4 piece) to when it is finally used up.

Standard cure is 2 weeks but if you can go longer you can get some tasty results.

I like to vape these days for flavour & I must admit I do have some vintage gangja from 2017 in my personal medical cabinet.

Oh shit! Yeah I’ll just keep burping the jars at the schedule I’m doing so, I have humidity gauges and it does be between 70-80% humidity . And I never heard of bovida packs until now atleast I’ll know for my next grow! I thought the growing was going to be hard, never even researched about curing until the week I was chopping it down
You need the Bovida packs in a couple of weeks. After a while your humidity will settle to 60%. Bovita 6.2 will keep it their for a year, which is what you want.

Back
Top Bottom