First Grow - 4'x4' Tent - Organic Soil - Nutes & Teas - RO Water & Love - Help Wanted - 2018

Re: First Grow - 4'x4' Tent/Organic Soil, Nutes & Teas/RO Water/Love - Help Wanted -

Update
Unfortunately #3 and #5 still hadn't broken the surface as of this morning so I went digging and found #3 popped but died and #5 never popped; I blame myself as I think the temps got a little lower than I wanted during the germination process. I'm trying to salvage #5 though I believe hope is most likely lost. So...I've started to germinate two more beans. Otherwise the babies are looking good and the new CFL setup is sweet!

Re: First Grow - 4'x4' Tent/Organic Soil, Nutes & Teas/RO Water/Love - Help Wanted -

Heya friend,, just a note to confirm, imo, the comments about keepin the cfls close,, real close friend, almost can not get em close enough,,

P1160568.JPG

I do anyway,, the plants love me for it too,,

Cheers
P1160962.JPG

Heya friend,, just a note to confirm, imo, the comments about keepin the cfls close,, real close friend, almost can not get em close enough,,

I do anyway,, the plants love me for it too,,

Cheers

:welcome: Nivek thanks for dropping by and the confirm...also your CFL setup and scrog are on point! I'm sitting at two inches for all babies now - here's the setup

Screen_Shot_2018-01-05_at_7_55_50_PM.png

Update
So I misspoke before and it was actually #4 and #6 that hadn't broken the surface and now both are officially gone...may they rest in peace. Again I blame myself 100% for the death of both #4 and #6 as I believe it was due to a temperature issue during germination and honestly I'm thankful that #5 was able to push through and a survive under the same conditions.

Since my last post #7 and #8 germinated and have now been in soil for about 32 hours - I continue to keep the top soil moist with a spray bottle pH@6.5 (about 2x a day with a light misting). Additionally, today I watered #1 and #2 today for the first time with ~325ml/each of water with 2ml/gal. of CalMag (2-0-0) pH'd at 6.3 - the CalMag was used due to the RO water.

Front Left #1 / Front Right #2 / Back Left #5 / Back Right #3
Screen_Shot_2018-01-08_at_2_44_41_PM.png

Next update will be in about a week but as always please let me know if there are any thoughts, comments and/or questions.

Sometimes seeds dampen off. It happens I have it happen every spring on veggies and every so often in thr house. Just had a couple cannabis seedling do it. Many factors to consider. Once we get past this point they get hardy.
Happy growing brother.

Update
So I misspoke before and it was actually #4 and #6 that hadn't broken the surface and now both are officially gone...may they rest in peace. Again I blame myself 100% for the death of both #4 and #6 as I believe it was due to a temperature issue during germination and honestly I'm thankful that #5 was able to push through and a survive under the same conditions.

Since my last post #7 and #8 germinated and have now been in soil for about 32 hours - I continue to keep the top soil moist with a spray bottle pH@6.5 (about 2x a day with a light misting). Additionally, today I watered #1 and #2 today for the first time with ~325ml/each of water with 2ml/gal. of CalMag (2-0-0) pH'd at 6.3 - the CalMag was used due to the RO water.

Front Left #1 / Front Right #2 / Back Left #5 / Back Right #3
Screen_Shot_2018-01-08_at_2_44_41_PM.png

Next update will be in about a week but as always please let me know if there are any thoughts, comments and/or questions.

They look good. :)
Just watch out they don't stretch to much.

They look good. :)
Just watch out they don't stretch to much.

Thanks for stopping by and your words maana! I'm doing my best to keep the stretch down by slammin those CFL's as low as possible but there was some stretch early before I setup the CFLs.

Also to all, and I know I said no updates for a week, but #7 and #8 breached the soil this morning and #7 like #3 is missing a cotyledon. Is there something I'm possibly doing wrong (too deep or soil being too dense or moist?) or is it most likely just chance? Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by and your words maana! I'm doing my best to keep the stretch down by slammin those CFL's as low as possible but there was some stretch early before I setup the CFLs.

Also to all, and I know I said no updates for a week, but #7 and #8 breached the soil this morning and #7 like #3 is missing a cotyledon. Is there something I'm possibly doing wrong (too deep or soil being too dense or moist?) or is it most likely just chance? Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

Mhm never heard of that before.
But i will just give it some time and see if it makes new leaves.
How often do you water them?

Mhm never heard of that before.
But i will just give it some time and see if it makes new leaves.
How often do you water them?

I watered once when they were initially put into the ground and then a couple light sprays a day if the top soil dries out but light watering. A friend told me the seed casing will sometimes do this (especially if they are buried a little too deep and need to really push to make it out of the soil) and I may have just been a little unlucky with it happening with 2/6. I think they will both live just a little stunted to start.

I watered once when they were initially put into the ground and then a couple light sprays a day if the top soil dries out but light watering. A friend told me the seed casing will sometimes do this (especially if they are buried a little too deep and need to really push to make it out of the soil) and I may have just been a little unlucky with it happening with 2/6. I think they will both live just a little stunted to start.

Yeah that could be the case.
But i would say dont water and spray at the same time it is better to let it dry out before you water them again.
It is not always best for the roots to have wet dirt all the time it will make it harder for the roots to brake through it.

Yeah that could be the case.
But i would say dont water and spray at the same time it is better to let it dry out before you water them again.
It is not always best for the roots to have wet dirt all the time it will make it harder for the roots to brake through it.

Thanks for the tip Maana! I haven't been watering and spraying on the same day but instead a couple light sprays a day between watering if the top looks dry but I will cut the light sprays based on your insight :thanks:

Thanks for the tip Maana! I haven't been watering and spraying on the same day but instead a couple light sprays a day between watering if the top looks dry but I will cut the light sprays based on your insight :thanks:

All ways ready to help where i can!
I will take a seat and follow your journal till the end. :ganjamon:
You can come and visit my journal as well if you want to you are all ways welcome. :)

All ways ready to help where i can!
I will take a seat and follow your journal till the end. :ganjamon:
You can come and visit my journal as well if you want to you are all ways welcome. :)

Thanks for joining! I just went through your 2nd journal and am subbed up as well...I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

Update
And I'm back almost 2 weeks later and unfortunately not a good report...that said things could be much worse.

So I left for a 5 day period of time that started about 11 days ago, leaving watering up to one of my roommates. After extensively explaining the necessity to pH the water, he did not and instead watered at 7.0 (straight R.O. water). In addition to watering I also asked him to keep an eye on the seedling heights and raise the lights if they get too close, another thing he did not do. The final result of these 5 days away was both a pH issue and stunted/slightly burned leaves (#7 and #8 were not impacted as I had watered prior to leaving and the spray bottle was used a couple times with 6.5 pH'd water).

Since getting back I've been working to bring the pH down and un-shock the plants...all and all I believe they will all live and that I may have been lucky. And, also have learned that I can no longer trust the roomies to help. Pics included below:

Screen_Shot_2018-01-23_at_11_38_29_AM.png

Update
After 5 days and little visual recovery from my issues with pH and light burn, I felt like something else must be wrong. So, last night I decided to check ppm's and pH and found my ppm to be 500+ (pH 6.6) which should be impossible based on the R.O water and soil combined ppm being less than 250. So what happened? I believe my roommate did something, added something or used a container to water that had something in it. I can't be sure if this was intentional or not but regardless I flushed #1, #2, #3 and #5 (#7 and #8 were not effected as they were on spray bottle). I flushed back to ~220 ppm and 6.5 pH, and installed a lock on my door. This morning the babies are looking so much better with good green colors coming back and much more perky.

My plan is to give them a few days to adjust to the flush then move #1, #2, #3 and #7 under the big-boy light on veg...and give #5 and #8 (both missing a cotyledon) a couple more days before also moving them under the larger light. Please let me know thoughts on this, is it too soon? #1, #2, #3 and #7 will all have between 3/4 nodes at that point.

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Herbn

Update
So I'm convinced my roommate attempted to kill my plants by adding something to the water while I was gone. They continued to dry up and discolor post flush and it wasn't until today that I've felt like they've bounced back a bit. On a positive note, #7 and #8 which were not watered from the same source are looking great and have surpassed the others even though they've been above ground half as long. Pics below:

IMG_072661.JPG

IMG_072554.JPG

IMG_072856.JPG

IMG_072754.JPG

#7 & #8
IMG_072956.JPG

Thank you Dusty! I cannot fathom the why either but I just don't have another explanation and it was clearly more than just some 7.0 pH RO water that was introduced to my babies. Regardless I think I've managed to avoid disaster, I now have a lock on my door and will not be trusting the roommate with them again. Going under the big dog light in the morning!

Hi All, I'd love a little assistance on something. I believe tomorrow I will be ready to water or feed the plants I flushed and my question is based on the stunting that has occurred is it okay to feed with nutes or should I hold off and only water with CalMag? I've included side and top pictures below...all are working on their 4th node. And I was thinking I may hold off on nutes on #3 since it seems a little behind the rest. Please let me know your thoughts.

IMG_075250.JPG
IMG_075348.JPG

IMG_075456.JPG
IMG_075555.JPG

IMG_075753.JPG
IMG_075869.JPG

IMG_075957.JPG
IMG_076160.JPG

Back
Top Bottom