First Grow, Deep Water Culture, Northern Lights, Pics

Ahh ok... well, I'm sure an 8 step recovery wouldn't hurt them cause draining the tank out to get the dust out sounds like a good idea to me. :) What about the pH jumps and the coloration on the plants?

Ahh ok... well, I'm sure an 8 step recovery wouldn't hurt them cause draining the tank out to get the dust out sounds like a good idea to me. :) What about the pH jumps and the coloration on the plants?

If there is nothing but water in the tank, and a little pH Down, then the pH is going to go up and down, until you add some nutes to help stablize it. After you drain it and add back new water, and pH it, it will still bounce, but yes, the dust needs to come out.
The discoloration on the babies is their hunger for food, but only one sprout is ready for 1/4 dose of food. It will probably be late tomorrow before they are all ready for a 1/4 dose of nutrients. Or start a 1/2 of 1/4 dose of nutes today. Today, yu could bring the lights a little closer, like 5 ro 6 inches near. In about 2 or 3 days, you can bring them down to 2 or 3 inches near, if they are 65 or 85 watt bulbs.

Well that explains the PH bumps. Tap water has all sorts of minerals in it for the ph adjusters to react to. My tap water is normally around 350 ( very high - almost chunky) and I get a case of the bouncies every time I do a res change. The trick is not to overreact to the bounces. For instance, your set at 6.0 and the next day it's 7.0. I just add about 5ml (1 TSP) of General Hydroponics PH down for the whole res and that gets it to around 6.5. Then 3 or 4 hours later I add another 5ml of PH down and let that sit overnight and use the same technique the next day if needed. It will settle down over time.

When you start the nutes they have some stabilizers in then than helps with the wild swings also. Are you using a liquid ph adjuster or the SH powdered brand? If using the powdered brand then mix it in enough water to completely dissolve it and then add to the res. I'd go with about 1/2 tsp of the powdered at a time and just step it back slowly. The reason is that things don't happen fast in nature and they shouldn't in your grow room either. Patience is a decided virtue in growing of any kind.

I drained the tank, checked the feeder tubes and filled it back up to 6 gallons. I'm lucky, my water comes out at 6.0 so I have it pretty easy.

Well that explains the PH bumps. Tap water has all sorts of minerals in it for the ph adjusters to react to. My tap water is normally around 350 ( very high - almost chunky) and I get a case of the bouncies every time I do a res change. The trick is not to overreact to the bounces. For instance, your set at 6.0 and the next day it's 7.0. I just add about 5ml (1 TSP) of General Hydroponics PH down for the whole res and that gets it to around 6.5. Then 3 or 4 hours later I add another 5ml of PH down and let that sit overnight and use the same technique the next day if needed. It will settle down over time.

When you start the nutes they have some stabilizers in then than helps with the wild swings also. Are you using a liquid ph adjuster or the SH powdered brand? If using the powdered brand then mix it in enough water to completely dissolve it and then add to the res. I'd go with about 1/2 tsp of the powdered at a time and just step it back slowly. The reason is that things don't happen fast in nature and they shouldn't in your grow room either. Patience is a decided virtue in growing of any kind.

Alright... if the pH has jumped back up I'll definitely give that a go. I'm going to give Roseman's suggestion of 1/8 a pack of nutes in there later today and hope I don't have another spike tomorrow.

I'm using the powdered brand. Usually when I go to adjust the pH, I put what I need in a gallon jug with about a quart of water and shake it up really well. Then, I pour it through a tea strainer to check if anything hasn't dissolved. If I have little bits, I pour it back in the jug, rinse and repeat.

Do you have an idea of the quality of your water? What is the ppm reading?

It's 170.

If there is nothing but water in the tank, and a little pH Down, then the pH is going to go up and down, until you add some nutes to help stablize it. After you drain it and add back new water, and pH it, it will still bounce, but yes, the dust needs to come out.
The discoloration on the babies is their hunger for food, but only one sprout is ready for 1/4 dose of food. It will probably be late tomorrow before they are all ready for a 1/4 dose of nutrients. Or start a 1/2 of 1/4 dose of nutes today. Today, yu could bring the lights a little closer, like 5 ro 6 inches near. In about 2 or 3 days, you can bring them down to 2 or 3 inches near, if they are 65 or 85 watt bulbs.

Going to feed them 1/8 of a dose of nutes a little bit later. I'm using 42 watts in the reflectors. I have some supplement 26w for when they get bigger, though. I brought the lights in close on them after I drained and refilled the tank. I hope they perk up on me and get their pretty green color back tomorrow. :thanks:

How are your airstones? Any "funk" growing on them?

Usually its the first sign of algae growth. It will collect and form on the airstones, airlines, feeder tubes, that sorta thing.

I am with Rose here, looked like dirty water. No worries.

Starting with 1/8 dose would be best.

What nutes are you using?

Once you get to the full nute stage, I think your PH will even out. Mine did. Don't get too carried away chasing that PH rollercoaster. Try and get in the habit of checking it the same time, each day, once a day.

Looks like you did your homework though! Awesome.

Airstones were good, nothing on them at all.

There was a little bit of stuff on the feeder tubes and airlines so I cleaned them when I drained it. I also rinsed the tank really well with hot water. I don't have any nutes in there so maybe that was just dust? IDK... I'm sure the drain and refill nipped anything that could have been happening in the bud.

I'm using the SH nutes that come with the system. Measuring out my 1/8 dose right now.

Airstones were good, nothing on them at all.

There was a little bit of stuff on the feeder tubes and airlines so I cleaned them when I drained it. I also rinsed the tank really well with hot water. I don't have any nutes in there so maybe that was just dust? IDK... I'm sure the drain and refill nipped anything that could have been happening in the bud.

I'm using the SH nutes that come with the system. Measuring out my 1/8 dose right now.

Sounds like dust and dirty water. Shouldn't be a worry.

Should be good to go. Good luck! :peace:

Thanks everyone. My babies have their mini meal and I'll post an update on them tomorrow. Roseman, you're right... I'm very grateful for all the help and wonderful advice I have received!

I'm in on this one. I've been seeing a lot of people growing Norther Lights lately. Must be a solid plant for growing. I havn't had NL for a while, I think I'll pick some up next time I get to a dispensery.

Sadalix424 I'm glad to see you are working hard on your grow. It looks like you have a good start, especially getting these guys over here to help out. The Deep Water Culture are awesome! I don't have any personal experience yet, but hope to be at the same stage as you soon.

Side note: Thank Roseman for the e-mail. I can't e-mail back yet, but it was nice to hear from you. I've been working 12 plus hours a day for the past few weeks, and getting only one good day with the family. So it's been hard finding time for checking in here much. I think things have calmed down a bit, so hopefully I can get things going like Sada has here.

Good Luck!:popcorn:

I'm in on this one. I've been seeing a lot of people growing Norther Lights lately. Must be a solid plant for growing. I havn't had NL for a while, I think I'll pick some up next time I get to a dispensery.

Sadalix424 I'm glad to see you are working hard on your grow. It looks like you have a good start, especially getting these guys over here to help out. The Deep Water Culture are awesome! I don't have any personal experience yet, but hope to be at the same stage as you soon.

Side note: Thank Roseman for the e-mail. I can't e-mail back yet, but it was nice to hear from you. I've been working 12 plus hours a day for the past few weeks, and getting only one good day with the family. So it's been hard finding time for checking in here much. I think things have calmed down a bit, so hopefully I can get things going like Sada has here.

Good Luck!:popcorn:

Thanks and welcome to my grow. I've heard a lot of good things about Northern Lights too. Good smoke, good yield, good grow. I'm glad I chose them. Be sure to drop me a link if you do a journal. :welcome:

:welcome:

I will be watching this one! Looks like you have done your homework and learned well.

All the previous advice is correct. Rosemans advice on the nutes was spot on as always.

One thing I will add. Don't be afraid to dump out the water and clean the tub whenever. I does not hurt to change the res often, and keep things clean.

During early veg I changed the res every 4 days, later every 3. Now that I'm 3 weeks into flower I'm changing and cleaning every other day. This way I know my nutes are spot on and my tub is clean. My plant loves me for it lol.

I know that's a lot of work and some simply don't have the time to do that. My point is (sorry just smoked some blue dream, I'm rambling haha) cleanliness is godliness when it comes to the res. Plants love fresh clean water with new food.

Keep up the good work, don't worry about the ph your right on track. Those nutes are going to make a huge difference in the next 5 days. Can't wait to see the progress!

Good luck with everything and welcome to the Deep Water Culture! :goodjob:

:peace:YD

I will be watching this one! Looks like you have done your homework and learned well.

All the previous advice is correct. Rosemans advice on the nutes was spot on as always.

One thing I will add. Don't be afraid to dump out the water and clean the tub whenever. I does not hurt to change the res often, and keep things clean.

During early veg I changed the res every 4 days, later every 3. Now that I'm 3 weeks into flower I'm changing and cleaning every other day. This way I know my nutes are spot on and my tub is clean. My plant loves me for it lol.

I know that's a lot of work and some simply don't have the time to do that. My point is (sorry just smoked some blue dream, I'm rambling haha) cleanliness is godliness when it comes to the res. Plants love fresh clean water with new food.

Keep up the good work, don't worry about the ph your right on track. Those nutes are going to make a huge difference in the next 5 days. Can't wait to see the progress!

GREAT ADVICE! Frequent reservoir changes produces growth spurts too!

pH didn't spike today. When I checked it a few minutes ago it was at 6.25 from 6.0 yesterday. So it looks like the res change and 1/8 dose of nutes definitely helped that out.

My new sprout had some growth from yesterday. My second oldest is perking up a little. My oldest still looks a bit discolored but I'm going to add another 1/8 dose of nutes today, bringing it up to 1/4 and hope her color comes back. I also checked the feeder line on her and it seems like I had it up a little to high from when I put them back in after the drain so I turned it back down to a drip. I'll also try to get some pics in tomorrow, kind of busy today.

Thank you for stopping by. I think when I get the itch to do something with my plants, instead of experimenting, I'll clean the tank out. lol :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom