First grow expirement with the upside down planter!(Could use tips on lighting etc)

Re: First grow expirement with the upside down planter!(Could use tips on lighting et

You might try some lst. Just a thought.

Re: First grow expirement with the upside down planter!(Could use tips on lighting et

lol, MJ doesnt grow towards light. it grows upawrds against gravity.

thats why herbs plant stood up, and prob why yours will to. if you dont let it turn to the side, by eithr keeping it perfectly upside down or by staking it, it will grow wherever you tell it to. it is tru though, that it wont grow where there is no-little light, so maybe the bottom branchs will fill out when the main cola turns up, away from the light if you let it grow naturally.

interesting thread. ty for sharing.

plants have a couple major hormones. one of them is called auxins. auxins fall to the side of the stem closest to the ground due to gravity and concentrate growth there, untill it it is growing perpendicular to the ground, and the hormone is distributed evenly on both sides of the stem. auxins can also be manipulated by bending or pruning. cutting the plants meristem, or main stem causes the auxins to diffuse, will cause greater concentrations in lower branches and make them grow bigger. if you have some time on your hands, this is what i would do if i were you. top and bend till you have a bunch of smaller branches. but what do i know? lol.

lol, MJ doesnt grow towards light.

Really? Marijuana that doesn't grow towards light, that I've never seen. My outdoor loves to follow the sun! Plus, if gravity is your reasoning shouldn't the plant be pulled downwards? That's the directional force of gravity on earth. Or do you mean marijuana is designed to fight gravity and grow against it?

I dunno anymore, lol.

auxins are one of the hormones that controls growth. gravity pulls it to the bottom side of the stem when its not straight, so for instance if you pull your plant over 90 degrees to be parallel with the ground, in about 30-45 minutes the top of the plant will correct itself against gravity and be standing upright (perpendicular to the ground) again.

if you put a plant in a dark box with a little hole on top, eventually the mj plant will find the whole and grow out into the light. this is because the plant needs light to grow, so the part of the plant getting the most light will grow the fastest and the plant will migrate towards the light.

there might be some other effect going on when plants follow the sun that i dont know about, but the reason herbs pland stood up wasnt that the sun was up there it was because of the auxins. and prob whats being seen in the leave in this thread.

hope that helps

if you want proof, look at cylinder grows like a coliseum. the lights are hung vertically in the middle of the room, but all of the plants still grow straight up against gravity.

or check out my journal, i accidently let my wheel stop for a couple of hours and all my plants turned up against gravity. i had to turn them around and let then sit to compensate.

i dont know how other plants grow like tomato.

Think you're right. Once upon a time there was a light sitting on the floor pointed sideways at some plants. The plants were all "pointed" at the light so the guy got the bright idea to lay all the pots over on their sides so that they'd grow straight to the light. He had to rotate them every day because they started growing UP.

Interesting stuff, I've definitely learned something today (First time for everything, lol, I ain't so smart!). Thanks for the knowledge WheeloFortune.

And when should i do this ill put a pic up in a second?

plants have a couple major hormones. one of them is called auxins. auxins fall to the side of the stem closest to the ground due to gravity and concentrate growth there, untill it it is growing perpendicular to the ground, and the hormone is distributed evenly on both sides of the stem. auxins can also be manipulated by bending or pruning. cutting the plants meristem, or main stem causes the auxins to diffuse, will cause greater concentrations in lower branches and make them grow bigger. if you have some time on your hands, this is what i would do if i were you. top and bend till you have a bunch of smaller branches. but what do i know? lol.

and when should i do this ill have a pic up in a sec

heres my 2 cents now follow me on this, how about a tomato trainer ? u just keep securing it to the sides with twisties or sting just a thought on this interesting project, yes i know its old and beat up but you get the idea
PICT00356.JPG

topsy,

you still have a while to go before i would top or bend the plant, i like to have at least 6 or 7 nodes before i would top it or bend it. if you want to do both, first top it, then wait for the lower branches to stretch out and bend them so that all of the tops of the branches can see light. try to get them all the same hight so they get even light.

but like i said, your still weeks away from this stage it looks like.

on another note, i moved some of the plants around in my room, and the ones on the outside tilted in towards the light. . . so there is definitely a mechinism to orient the leaves and top toward the light. . . the auxins just play a stronger role. . . probably so if some animal knocks it over, it can stand back up and survive.

also, i like flouromans idea, putting up a stake or trellis to secure it to would allow you to choose what ever shape you want.

one last thing, i have never seen a mj grow entirely upside down, so there may be some new or unexpect behaviors that you cant anticipate. . . but this is what makes your journal interesting. . . lol,:popcorn:

?????????

TT1.JPG

I can't tell by the picture, but... Are they moving? If so, have you ever heard of "The Borg?"

no, but also where the arrows are pointing what are those?

Not sure about the purple dots, but the arrows appear to be pointing at new growth. The plant looks good for growing upside down. Keep up the good work.

whats new growth?

Uhh... Hmm.

Full view

ttv.jpg

What are these?

ttq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom