First Grow In Over 20 Years! Northern Lights Under 600W LED

yeah but if you understand how the stomata operate you know that it isnt a static percentage because it is relative to what temperature you are at.

Yes, I see that from the chart and it is a good point and something to keep in mind. Thanks.

Sounds just about right:goodjob: no mold and no peeling paint seems to be 2 really good criteria!

With the information out there it does seem like as good a criteria as any, LOL. When I was researching online before I found this site I ran across an article about a university grad who received the first PhD in the world for cannabis cultivation research. In his thesis, he said that the problem with cannabis is because it has been considered contraband throughout the world there haven’t been any scientific studies for optimum growing and when I see all the recommendations for humidity on different sites that becomes pretty obvious. If anybody wants to see his doctoral thesis it is in a PDF form here.

https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlu...n_Deron_201808_PhD.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y

It’s interesting but it really doesn’t have that much useful information because it’s pretty specific.

With the information out there it does seem like as good a criteria as any, LOL. When I was researching online before I found this site I ran across an article about a university grad who received the first PhD in the world for cannabis cultivation research. In his thesis, he said that the problem with cannabis is because it has been considered contraband throughout the world there haven’t been any scientific studies for optimum growing and when I see all the recommendations for humidity on different sites that becomes pretty obvious. If anybody wants to see his doctoral thesis it is in a PDF form here.

https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlu...n_Deron_201808_PhD.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y

It’s interesting but it really doesn’t have that much useful information because it’s pretty specific.

Exactly why we need to UNDERSTAND OUR variables, It all has an effect and the best we can do is
try to get it all aligned with our individual Grow environment. There is NO IDEAL NUMBER, each
environment is just a little different so we give a Range

Of course, I welcome opinions but to me my plants are looking pretty happy right now and seem to be growing at a good pace. I haven’t watered in several days as I am using Emilya’s watering method now trying to get a good root ball established.

Both these plants, which are Northern Lights feminized, are being supported because I got too much stretch from having my lights too far away. Since I lowered my lights I haven’t gotten hardly any more stretch so I’m hoping the plant, CB Dutch Treat Feminized, which is in the next photo which has just broken ground a few days ago won’t have the same stretching problem with my lights now at 19 inches.

!cid_9d6e0d28-d288-4405-8801-0fe78888a674@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_1c7495f6-d207-4660-bddf-db4231c58dfe@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Now that I have my light distance and humidity straightened out my next issues are pH and and a question about my nutes.

In her great thread, The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant, Emilya says, “It sounds like you are on the right track. Get a decent pH meter and adjust for the correct range for your medium. Most people have the best luck aiming for around 5.8 pH in coco. Do not adjust to pH 6 or 7, as this is way too high.”

Yesterday I picked up some pH Down from my local shop and adjusted some Springwater down to 6.5 because that is what most people recommend so I was surprised to see her suggest 5.8 pH. I was just wondering what people’s opinions are to what pH I should adjust my water to using the following Coco Substrate? For my seedlings I have used this substrate with worm castings and Perlite but no nutes yet.

!cid_667960e0-c2c4-4d95-8303-5d997313d360@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

And my question about my nutes is related to pH because I keep reading that chemical nutes over time will lower pH and increase salts so that your soil has to be flushed occasionally but I don’t know if the nutes I have qualify as chemicals? Would the nutes I am using here cause salt buildup and my pH to drop? Or are these considered natural products that wouldn’t do that? I may be totally off base here I understand.

!cid_4364a4fd-5186-472e-b3b0-470fb487e758@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Sry homer, I am a go with the flow type of grower. Listen look feel...
@MrSauga is good at it... I'll fix it.. Wait....

Broooooodie,.... I'm throwing orange........ :love:he is going to wonder where his dog went... :rofl:

Broooooodie,.... I'm throwing orange........ :love:he is going to wonder where his dog went... :rofl:

I really enjoy your presence and postings and your lighthearted easy-going ways are appreciated but I am definitely not a go with the flow type of grower but enjoy experimenting and the scientific method.

I understand it’s important to listen to your plants and see how they are responding but also I love experimenting and having a control and then investigating by changing one variable and seeing how things develop and then taking the most successful variable and making that the new control thereby zeroing in on the best conditions. I know I am going to do a lot of experimenting with my grows and I am looking forward to finding the best conditions that my plants like the most.

That’s why I found that PhD thesis on growing cannabis I posted a link to earlier so interesting.

I agree with you, I do testings too. But when it comes to nutrients etc it is all based on the way I work.
I love learning and have been wanting to get a PhD. Enrolled in one, but time difference was too difficult

I agree with you, I do testings too. But when it comes to nutrients etc it is all based on the way I work.
I love learning and have been wanting to get a PhD. Enrolled in one, but time difference was too difficult

That is very impressive just to be accepted into a PhD. program; you must have a huge brain with lots of smartitudes!!:bravo:

OK, has anyone seen the dog? He was just here.
And my question about my nutes is related to pH because I keep reading that chemical nutes over time will lower pH and increase salts so that your soil has to be flushed occasionally but I don’t know if the nutes I have qualify as chemicals? Would the nutes I am using here cause salt buildup and my pH to drop? Or are these considered natural products that wouldn’t do that? I may be totally off base here I understand.
I don't think so, however I can tell you some do a FFFW schedule, where every fourth feeding is straight pH'd water, no nutes. I use FFFF and feed 'em everytime. I use MegaCrop in that case. With the AN nute line I will be using on my current grow I will go FFFW as well.
Your plants will start to show signs of a salt buildup. But like you said they are healthy and doing fine and that's what we mean by not interfering with the plant. Keep on rolling and when the plant says it's time to change things up a bit you react then.
As we get more experience we are able to see the signs sooner than later which is obviously beneficial.

As far as pH levels go, with coco and hydro I used to recommend 5.8. I am hearing others, such as @Pennywise who state anytime under 6.0 you risk locking out Ca. So I tell everyone now for coco and other soilless mixes at 6.0 as a minimum. Again, lots of people will have opinons. I side with the experts here who haven't steered me wrong yet.

OK found him...glad to see you're having fun. Wait til he gets spongy and orange together in his mouth. It's a whole new game of pawwing while you try and remove it. :green_heart:

OK, has anyone seen the dog? He was just here.

I don't think so, however I can tell you some do a FFFW schedule, where every fourth feeding is straight pH'd water, no nutes. I use FFFF and feed 'em everytime. I use MegaCrop in that case. With the AN nute line I will be using on my current grow I will go FFFW as well.
Your plants will start to show signs of a salt buildup. But like you said they are healthy and doing fine and that's what we mean by not interfering with the plant. Keep on rolling and when the plant says it's time to change things up a bit you react then.
As we get more experience we are able to see the signs sooner than later which is obviously beneficial.

As far as pH levels go, with coco and hydro I used to recommend 5.8. I am hearing others, such as @Pennywise who state anytime under 6.0 you risk locking out Ca. So I tell everyone now for coco and other soilless mixes at 6.0 as a minimum. Again, lots of people will have opinons. I side with the experts here who haven't steered me wrong yet.

OK found him...glad to see you're having fun. Wait til he gets spongy and orange together in his mouth. It's a whole new game of pawwing while you try and remove it. :green_heart:

At first, I didn’t understand what you meant by FFFW so I googled it and got Full Figured Fashion Week but I didn’t think that was probably what you were referring to, LOL. I understand what you meant now and I will definitely leave things well enough alone since they seem to be going well and just keep my eye open for signs of salt buildup. Because they are seedlings I actually have only added worm castings to the soil so I don’t expect any problem with salts until I transplant with mixes that have nutes in them.

Thanks for the pH recommendation; I will keep it up above pH 6 but try to keep it pretty close to that. Also thanks for the tip about Emilya’s thread, “The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant”; that was an extremely informative thread which I am sure I will refer to many times.

At first, I didn’t understand what you meant by FFFW so I googled it and got Full Figured Fashion Week
:rofl: I'm not laughing at you... who would have thought that would be the result from Goggles. Although, some of our girls do get a full figure during bloom and it's pretty amazing to watch!
So ya, Feed Feed Feed Water.
I understand what you meant now and I will definitely leave things well enough alone since they seem to be going well and just keep my eye open for signs of salt buildup
You most likely won't see it. You have to really pump in some nutes full time to see that, and I think it's more in a DWC setup anyhow.

Thanks for the pH recommendation; I will keep it up above pH 6 but try to keep it pretty close to that. Also thanks for the tip about Emilya’s thread, “The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant”; that was an extremely informative thread which I am sure I will refer to many times.
Glad I could help. I refer to it often as well.
You can move that pH up and down during feedings and watering to make sure you're getting all the available nutes. So one time maybe at 6.0, next at 5.9, then 6.2 then back to 6.0 and so on.

I've had black fabric pots turn white from residual salts with no harm to the plant. Soil I'm not sure but in coco we never feed pure water. You would use a dilute nute solution, plain water can shock them.

:rofl: I'm not laughing at you... who would have thought that would be the result from Goggles. Although, some of our girls do get a full figure during bloom and it's pretty amazing to watch!
So ya, Feed Feed Feed Water.

You most likely won't see it. You have to really pump in some nutes full time to see that, and I think it's more in a DWC setup anyhow.

Glad I could help. I refer to it often as well.
You can move that pH up and down during feedings and watering to make sure you're getting all the available nutes. So one time maybe at 6.0, next at 5.9, then 6.2 then back to 6.0 and so on.

No worries; with all the help you have given me feel free to laugh at me all you want and you certainly wouldn’t be the first, LOL. I thought that was pretty funny too that it came up on Google and I’m definitely looking to my ladies getting good and full figured!

That’s good I probably won’t have to worry about salt buildup.

Great idea about varying my pH to get all the available nutes.

Back
Top Bottom