First grow! Leaves curling down

Angrytomato

Hi guys new to the forum and new to growing.
I'm growing autos in coco and perlite with a 900w (175w draw) Philzon light ( I'm on a tight budget atm.
My seeds sprouted 2 days ago but they are very dark and the leaves are curling down. The Cotyledons are also quite hard, not like a plant should be imo. May of gone a bit overboard with the watering and we've been having a heatwave so I've had trouble keeping the temp down below 29c. I've read it might be over watering or heat stress but they look like they are dying! Any help would be appreciated thanks.
I've attached some pics

IMG_20210825_071230.jpg

IMG_20210824_151245.jpg

The first leaves to show up are called cotyledons. They are those two that are somewhat round. The first "true" leaves are the next ones and they have the serrated edges and come to a point. It is not that uncommon for the cotyledons to curl a bit and point down. The leaves that have to be watched for excessive curling are the true leaves whether they have one, three or five fingers.

It would really help to see the color of the leaves if you take the photos in a white light. The purple light really throws off how human eyes see the real colors. Turn off the grow lights, leave on the room light and use the flash. Or, take the plant outside to take the photo.

Yeah sorry about that haha I will attach a photo. Tbf they don't look that dark but I'm just a little worried I've fucked em before I even really started. Thanks for your input pal. That's the best angle/focus I could get

IMG_20210825_100456.jpg

Looking good so far :). A time to be concerned is when the cotyledons or the first leaves start yellowing, also watch for stem stretch and adjust lamp height accordingly. Watch water PH carefully, read up on watering skills for growing in coco.
My light is about 24inch away as the par isn't that strong with this light. Ph usually around 6-6.4 thanks pal few of these comment made me feel alot better your included

Been advised around day 10. I have a sensi schedule written down from DRauto I think he's called
You need to find a more competent advisor. There is nothing in coco and perlite nutritionally available to the plant. In just a few more days the plant will start tapping into the cotylydons and after that will start starving. Feed now.... from the first day they hit the surface. Feed every time you water. Find one of the many threads on here that tell you the correct way to do this, and stop getting advice from Dr. Auto... he is obviously a quack.

You need to find a more competent advisor. There is nothing in coco and perlite nutritionally available to the plant. In just a few more days the plant will start tapping into the cotylydons and after that will start starving. Feed now.... from the first day they hit the surface. Feed every time you water. Find one of the many threads on here that tell you the correct way to do this, and stop getting advice from Dr. Auto... he is obviously a quack.
Agree, that's why I use pre-soaked plugs or LiteMix

I always thought the seeds had enough nutes to get them through the first 10 days? I will have a look on here for advice

I always thought the seeds had enough nutes to get them through the first 10 days? I will have a look on here for advice
Please don't be angry about my answer here Tomato... I am really trying to help.

That is what the cotyledons are for, those are the very first storehouses of nutes from the seeds.

But there is the question of "should you do this?" You can survive on 1 cup of water every 3 days and maybe a handful of food during that time. You won't be happy during this time and I dare say you will get skinnier, and will stop growing. Treat a new baby like this and you should be put away for child abuse. Why should your plants be any different when forced to exist on bare sustenance levels or nothing but what Nature started them with?

So yes, you might be able to get them through 10 days without dying, but why in the world would you do this? Find me even one... just one nutrient feeding chart that says to wait almost 2 weeks before feeding your new seedlings, especially in an inert medium. If you can find even one, I will believe what you are saying to be true.

Please don't be angry about my answer here Tomato... I am really trying to help.

That is what the cotyledons are for, those are the very first storehouses of nutes from the seeds.

But there is the question of "should you do this?" You can survive on 1 cup of water every 3 days and maybe a handful of food during that time. You won't be happy during this time and I dare say you will get skinnier, and will stop growing. Treat a new baby like this and you should be put away for child abuse. Why should your plants be any different when forced to exist on bare sustenance levels or nothing but what Nature started them with?

So yes, you might be able to get them through 10 days without dying, but why in the world would you do this? Find me even one... just one nutrient feeding chart that says to wait almost 2 weeks before feeding your new seedlings, especially in an inert medium. If you can find even one, I will believe what you are saying to be true.
Say no more my dude I take no offence here, I'm the guy looking for help I appreciate any advice. I've already given them half a shot glass with 1ml. The coco still very moist from me over watering them yesterday and it's only 6 hours till they go to bed for the night. I will give them another half shot in the morning

Find some how to grow in coco threads... there are at least 3 major ones on this board. You will find that most coco pros water twice a day with oxygenated water, keeping the coco wet. They say you can not overwater coco. Feed every time, and you are golden.

Find some how to grow in coco threads... there are at least 3 major ones on this board. You will find that most coco pros water twice a day with oxygenated water, keeping the coco wet. They say you can not overwater coco. Feed every time, and you are golden.
I will have a good look now. I'm not looking for some miracle harvest on my first go, I'm doing 3 blueberry and I would just like about 2 ounce so I can use the cash I don't spend on weed to buy a Mars hydro ts1000 as wattage heat and the noise of my current light is an issue. Thanks for your advice, think I'll be using this forum alot

Looking just fine to me so far.
I don't think I've ever had a seedling where the cotyledons didn't curl down.
Literally everyone I've seen grown on time lapsed videos they've stayed pointing outward. But everyone on here has said they are fine. They are looking so much better now tho and coming along nicely

Back
Top Bottom