Strain: Maui Waui
%'s: Unkown Sativa and/or Hybrid
State: Vegetative
Soil: Organic
Pot: 3.5 Gal
Light: 125w Phillips Blue Aggro Lamp
AC: AC in main room, fan in closet
Temp: ~80
Pests: Unknown Flying (likely hatched from Org Soil)
Water: About 1/2 gal a 24 hour cycle
Fert: 1/2 Tsp Hen Manure
1 TBS EW Casings

I was debating starting this journal at first but I now am to the point I need to if even just for advice.

I got the seed from a bag and it behaved vigorously. Within 8 hours of being put in a cup of warm water I had a root tip. Within 12 hours of that, I had her cracking the surface and by 3 days she was already 3.5" Tall.

This was taken at the end of her first week.
11331.jpg

I was concerned at first because I was having to move the light a few times a day. I would come back and have to move the light away another inch because she was burning her leaves.

I wonder if I screwed up big time as now looking at week 3 she is tall but has no body.
2942.jpg

Since then I have tried putting some lower placed CFL's to try and increase her girth, have had a fan on her since before she was out of the soil but her stem is oddly thinner then the top part of the plant, so I am already concerned about having to provide support.

However as of last few days I have another issue.. Her leaves are going back and forth from curling to stretching.

I am fearing this as a complete wash at this point unless someone has some better advice. I do have a Afghanny Kush seed in the freezer but I didnt want my first FULL growth to be on that.

Here are pictures just taken.. I could use all the advice I can get.
4569.jpg

3834.jpg

Hey Frostleaf! Welcome!! Pretty little seedling you have there!

It looks as though you have a couple minor issues going on from what I can tell. First is that you may be over-watering. That soil looks really damp, and the leaves are drooping as a result. You should only be watering every 3-4 days at this point. You want the soil to dry out a bit between waterings to keep the roots from sitting in water and rotting out. It also encourages the roots to spread out in search of moisture. Also, the curling on the leaf edges looks like some heat stress. Don't let the top of the plant get too close to that bulb. Get that fan to keep a gentle breeze on the plant, and the stem will strengthen up.

Just a couple little changes and you should see some positive results. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Waui grows for you...I've got some going right now that will be hitting the flower cab in a few weeks.

Good luck breddah!

Hey Frostleaf! Welcome!! Pretty little seedling you have there!

It looks as though you have a couple minor issues going on from what I can tell. First is that you may be over-watering. That soil looks really damp, and the leaves are drooping as a result. You should only be watering every 3-4 days at this point. You want the soil to dry out a bit between waterings to keep the roots from sitting in water and rotting out. It also encourages the roots to spread out in search of moisture. Also, the curling on the leaf edges looks like some heat stress. Don't let the top of the plant get too close to that bulb. Get that fan to keep a gentle breeze on the plant, and the stem will strengthen up.

Just a couple little changes and you should see some positive results. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Waui grows for you...I've got some going right now that will be hitting the flower cab in a few weeks.

Good luck breddah!

Ok so over-watering and keep the light back a little? I was having trouble deciding on light cycles at first but then I saw some conflicting ideas and showed results with keeping the vegetation in 24 hour light until it was like 2' tall.

So hopefully by cutting back the water the roots and base will widen out. I know I can keep it in vegetative until I need it to flower, I am going to try keeping it in cycle-swap. Though I am going to clone some just in case I stress it too far on first few tries.

See the problem I was having was a simple itemized list as a must have to get started. The guides on here are fantastic but only if someone posts something simple to START with like, Bucket, Soil, 1/2 gal water every 3-4 days, fert like hen manure, light time @ bulb type.

I know each plant should be treated uniquely for best results, but i didnt see anything that simple of a basis at first. I had to read a lot of HIGHLY informative posts that basically inundated you with over saturation of data.

Ok so over-watering and keep the light back a little? I was having trouble deciding on light cycles at first but then I saw some conflicting ideas and showed results with keeping the vegetation in 24 hour light until it was like 2' tall.

So hopefully by cutting back the water the roots and base will widen out. I know I can keep it in vegetative until I need it to flower, I am going to try keeping it in cycle-swap. Though I am going to clone some just in case I stress it too far on first few tries.

See the problem I was having was a simple itemized list as a must have to get started. The guides on here are fantastic but only if someone posts something simple to START with like, Bucket, Soil, 1/2 gal water every 3-4 days, fert like hen manure, light time @ bulb type.

I know each plant should be treated uniquely for best results, but i didnt see anything that simple of a basis at first. I had to read a lot of HIGHLY informative posts that basically inundated you with over saturation of data.

Yea, there is definitely lots of info to wade through in these forums. It can get tricky if you are over-thinking it, especially on a first grow. The best advise I can give is to keep it simple. Just keep everything basic. After your first grow you will have a better idea of what you are doing and what you want to experiment with next.

There are plenty of great growers here at 420, way more knowledgeable than I. You are sure to have a successful grow! Make sure to document and post updates of your progress and any problems or questions you have.

:peace:Brother!

Well since I have posted the start of this Journal only 3 days ago, Nozomi (plants name) is now growing much much better. Thanks for the tips, I have a few more steps to take to get her nice and healthy as some leaves are drooping a little but almost all the rest have since perked up!

Here is latest pic. 3 days difference!

5444.jpg

I had a fem. seed from another buddy who had a spare. She basically took off like a rocket to the point I had trouble maintaining her. At this point I wonder if I sorta screwed myself because she has nothing down low and therefor all the weight is going to be highly situated on her root structure.

I am considering getting some blue light and placing it around her sides to help "fluff" her out, but I have to wait a little bit before I can do that.

I am most likely going to have to support her after a certain point due to the fact she has a narrow base at the moment. I have sped the fan up a notch to get more of a breeze on her, nothing violent or stress inducing though.

My main concern is shes growing like a single branch with small leaflets growing off her instead of trying to create offshoots. Though I think this just may be because her root system needs to spread out more.

Hello, Frostleaf. :welcome:to 420mag!

Have you researched LST? This will cause her smaller shoots to compete in taking over as "new top", thus, forming multiple shoots with a more even canopy.

Yes I had, and to be honest I was a little distraught that I didn't even think about that even though I have an entire novel over here about steps I gotta do. I literally JUST took care of that as well as figured I might as well germ/sex the seed I have for Afghanny Kush since I cant lose really. Either the first grow succeeds or fails.

I had actually wanted to start off on a better foot but certain things kept me from being able too (car). So I should be better off in the next few weeks.

Well I took some pictures, I wanna make sure this doesn't look TOO drastic and stressed out. I didn't pull down hard at all, but I want to get an opinion if its enough/too little too late.

full

full

full

I am not sure if I can attempt a crown on her at all even at this point, so I am hoping someone experienced with plants at this stage if that is possible. I am just really wanting that bottom to fill out though.

Cool!

I haven't had any of this stuff since the late 70s! :bong:

I'll definitely be subscribing to this thread. I am curious to see what kind of buds you end up with!

Good luck with the Grow! :thumb:

Hey frost shes looking better now! Nice work what kind of lights you got? And it looks like your gonna need to repot it into a bigger pot soon! Now that your LSTing lower those lights closer! Good luck

Cool!

I haven't had any of this stuff since the late 70s! :bong:

I'll definitely be subscribing to this thread. I am curious to see what kind of buds you end up with!

Good luck with the Grow! :thumb:

Haha thank you.

I have since decided to restructure the way I am doing the LST. These new pictures are the precise application of 3 bamboo skewers and hemp twine.

Front View
9202.jpg

Top View - This one has made me decide to one of these days try and wrap the crowns the way people do bamboo. If I can get the branches doing corkscrews, I bet I can get a nice spread pattern with PLENTY of room for extra bud space!
11335.jpg

Main Stem
10176.jpg

Not sure if its Pistils or new leaves forming...
12205.jpg

Cool! :thumb:

I'll be curious to see if you can manage to get that into a corkscrew pattern! I've never tried these kinds of techniques myself, but I find them fascinating!

Looking forward to your next photo update! :)

Cool! :thumb:

I'll be curious to see if you can manage to get that into a corkscrew pattern! I've never tried these kinds of techniques myself, but I find them fascinating!

Looking forward to your next photo update! :)

Haha, Well I tried and failed. For no other reason then this plant is confusing as hell. I had her completely upside down like an inverted J, yet somehow in the time from leaving to go to work and coming back, she righted herself and grew an inch.

I was scolding her for a good 10 minutes about ruining my plans by growing in weird spurts. She is still scarce on the branches though, more like one long stem with some leaves poking out. I'm feeling a bit disappointed in the fact shes growing tall but not wide. I don't see any branches trying to shoot out to the sides to bearing other leaves and the like.

Oh well I will try again and see, but she may just end up being a tall narrow plant. Kinda sucks.

Hey, Frostleaf. How's it goin?
Have you started flowering yet? If not, it should cause those smaller shoots to stretch quite a bit once you do.

Well it might be just my first time deal but I think she is way too small to start flowering, though I do intend to cycle her continuously if only I knew the specifics on how to do that.

Do you swap to the 12/12, pick buds and leaves off, and then cycle her to a 16/8 or 18/6 or something and she sprouts new leaves?

If you look here it's like she has no real body to her. I am concerned that inducing flowering in this state would weaken her too much to recover into vegetative state, though I would welcome the bud as I am dry as hell right now.

13159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom