First grow , these look ok?

Grower09980

Hey all as in title , first time grow , im growing it under a mercury vapour 80w bulb atm , im just wondering if they are looking ok , an any tips or pointers people have got then let me no , this is a cheap setup for now and just trying it seeing how it turns out , they are about 4 weeks old an are shootin up , also the one looks skinnyer than the other an is reaching more , ive droped the light to about 3 inch from the plants , im after short and stumpy plants dont want them to grow to high , is there any way of making them bush out more when they get abit older ? All comments welcome

f1a84cdb.jpg

f24ba060.jpg

edb85def.jpg

Re: First grow , these look ok ?

They look ok but on the stretched side, this may of been caused by the distance of light/ bulb from plant & some what unknown light spectrum of the bulb which i presume to be high/peak in the yellow/green range of the colour spectrum with minor red & blue in the very back ground.
As mercury vapours are more designed for lighting of larger areas like warehouse's, car parks etc hence a large peak of bulb will out put yellow/green spectrum which just happens to be what we humans normally see well in the light spectrum which plants only use a very small portion of this spectrum range making the mercury vapour bulb largely ineffecient, yes you may get some results but less than desirable.

ideally you need to look at CFLs, HPS & MH for optimal results.

6500 kelvin blue spectrum for vegging.

2100/2700 kelvin red spectrum for flowering.

Thanks for that mate some good info , an im gonna invest in a good light asap , this is just a tempory thing for now , was just lying around in the shed , so im defently gonna invest in a new light just happy that they are doing good so far thanks for that

They look healthy but as mentioned above, a little stretched out...

Good advice above... Lower lights, use training techniques like LST, topping, FIM...

Also, start a grow journal, document all the details...and share your grow with all of us!!!

Nice job so far!

Im just in the process of lowering the light now , thanks for that ive only just signed upti this site an i rely like it , fast replys , an some rely good infomation in other sections of the sight , thanks for your help lads

Also by painting your walls flat white or using mylar on your grow area, you will get more available light from your bulb. Right now you are loosing a lot of light by not reflecting it into your grow area... just a suggestion but will help you get more out of your grow :)

Yeah as mentioned above they do seem a bit stretched out, but it's an easy mistake to make. These are the sort of things you will learn from immediately and probably won't make the same mistake the next time. It's just a pain in the ass to try and keep a spindly, gangly over stretched plant alive. That's why you want to get it well established and strong before it stretches. Also if you are having problems with your plants being too weak you can have a light fan blowing onto them to strengthen them.

Yh i was thinking about gettin a little fan in there i read that it stengthens them, first thing on my list is get a decry light , anyone no a site i could order a cheap ish light but what will do the trick , post up some links thanks

What sort of nutriants should i be giving these at this stage ? I aint got a clue about nutriants or anything like that , any thread links or just genral information would be great thanks

Woke up this morning an checked on the lil plants , an the leafs of the plants are curling up ive taken some pics anyone got a idea what this cud be ? Sorry if the pics are crap

0432e1cf.jpg

bf00a8d7.jpg

The secound photo looks abit bear , thats beacause i took off the top fresh leaves , this one is like my experiment plant , so im just tryin things an seeing what the results are hopefully it will go bushy

Mmm look abit pale green to me which could well mean a nitrogen defeciency...

Are you feeding em yet ?

P.s give em a couple more weeks to fill out/bush yet their only dinky lil things at the moment :thumb:

Cheers for that an na mate aint started feeding them anythin yet , i forgot to mention these will be mother plants , so do i still treat them as they are gonne produce ? They have 18 hour of light , i water them every 2 days , any tips or pointers on producing good mothers ? Thanks

The light was nearly rite on them , but i thought it could be beacause the light was to close so i have moved the light higher now , also im thinking about re-poting them now into bigger pots to let them grow fully in , whats size pots shall i pot tem in ?

Back
Top Bottom