First Grow - Under The Sink Stealth Grow

PhilGrow

Hey bros,

Im new to this forum and Im new as well to growing. I have a pretty low budget since im just a college student.
I currently have a 'under the sink' grow area of 1.6' x 2.3' x 1.6' (its higher than 1.6' but its obstructed by a metal pipe connecting the sink to the drain) would it be possible to grow 1 plant properly and produce personal yield in this confined space?

Im using bagseed since this is my first grow and its hard to ship seeds to my country, the Philippines.

For the lighting i currently have 2 23w Cool Daylight 6400k CFLs on separate fixtures both with homemade reflectors on them (yes pretty embarrassing, cant believe im typing this) and 1 13w HTG Tri Band LED Bulb. They look like shit at the moment, but hey first grow gotta start somewhere. Should I use the 13w LED with my 2 CFLs?
Im probably (getting it next week, it costs around $20 here, kinda strapped for cash) going to get a 4-in-1 E27 Bulb Socket for 2 23w Cool Daylight and 2 23w Warm White CFLs. Would mixing up the colour spectrum while vegging help? then switching to 4 23w Warm White CFLs during the flowering stage?
CFL bulbs here are often sold individually, havent seen budget packs that sell in my local hardware, the ones im using (2 23w CFLs) costs $5 EACH.

For the walls (im currently using tin foil [yes i am aware that its a total fire hazard, and creates heat spots]) im planning to purchase emergency blankets since they seem to be really good at reflecting light, couldnt find mylar here in my country. Thought of using sunshades but they're too expensive for the size im getting.

For venting i cant do much due to the grow areas location... under the sink, so its surrounded with marble + concrete walls. I've thought of a possible solution to this problem, the doors of the grow area has a 2-3 inch space before the actual grow area where i can put up a foam board wall (that can be removed since it will be velcro'd down) covering the whole opening with 1 intake and 1 exhaust holes with 12v PC fans i got off my junk 90s desktop hopefully solving the heat and eliminating light leaks.

Im using a soilless seed raising mix, would that be enough? or i have to use a potting mix?
ive bought some 10-10-10 ferts already

Heres:
Day 1
Photo_on_5_13_15_at_9_24_PM.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

re: First Grow - Under The Sink Stealth Grow

Welcome to the magazine Phil!!

You sure can grow in a space that big. You will just need to train your plants to fill out all the space as you desire.

Grab yourself a few more of those CFLs and your rockin. Full spectrum during veg won't hurt at all. So no worries. I would just add the warm and cold together and run full spectrum the whole cycle.

Tin foil as you know isn't the best but it's a great budget item. It's certainly worth your wild to get some safety blackest though. Cheap and
Much better.

The computer fan is a good idea. And chances are you have enough holes in the cupboards under the sink that you won't need to much more ventilation.

Look for a potting soil for best results if your going to use soil.

You've come to the right place for information. The people here are awesome and full of great advice.

I wish you all the best in your gardening!

re: First Grow - Under The Sink Stealth Grow

I'm not familiar with either of those. But the instructions on the bag will help lots. Is it a time released nutrient soil? If not then you'll just need a line of nutrients to go with it.

So, like Pigeons said, you'll want a few more CFL's. They will also be much more beneficial on their sides, not their tops. Check out the image below.

Can you post a picture of the "Soil-less" medium you plan on using? Remember soil less mediums prefer a pH suited for hydro not soil. So make sure your range is 5.6-5.8.

Are you planning on only 1 of the 4 continuing? Because of your height, you definitely want to look into Topping very early and sending to flower as soon as they're mature.

CFL5.jpg

So, like Pigeons said, you'll want a few more CFL's. They will also be much more beneficial on their sides, not their tops. Check out the image below.

Can you post a picture of the "Soil-less" medium you plan on using? Remember soil less mediums prefer a pH suited for hydro not soil. So make sure your range is 5.6-5.8.

Are you planning on only 1 of the 4 continuing? Because of your height, you definitely want to look into Topping very early and sending to flower as soon as they're mature.
Yes i will! i plan to get 2 more 23w Cool Daylight CFLs this week. Gonna build myself a fixture to hold all 4 horizontally probably use a baking tray as a reflector.

I quoted pics to Pigeon. Check em out.

Yes im going to choose the strongest seedling and start from there. Going to Top it and lots of LST.

The soil looks ok. But it's missing some key elements. I don't see any perlite. (You need this to add porosity to your mix for water flow and retention). And possibly some peat moss. But bro I say that with a grain of salt because I've never seen it before. However it should have at least some perlite in it. Aka the white shit.

You're on the right track though Holmes! Keep it up!

The soil looks ok. But it's missing some key elements. I don't see any perlite. (You need this to add porosity to your mix for water flow and retention). And possibly some peat moss. But bro I say that with a grain of salt because I've never seen it before. However it should have at least some perlite in it. Aka the white shit.

You're on the right track though Holmes! Keep it up!

would it be a safe bet to just buy a kilo? of this
Screen_Shot_2015-05-14_at_1_07_05_PM.png

Don't get to caught up in the seed starting soil. It's only going to be the most beneficial to the plant for the first week or so. Then you need actual potting soil.

By what I can read on the bag. You could probably mix a bit of both bags together and use it. With the "white shit" of course. Then it looks like you're rockin!

Don't get to caught up in the seed starting soil. It's only going to be the most beneficial to the plant for the first week or so. Then you need actual potting soil.

By what I can read on the bag. You could probably mix a bit of both bags together and use it. With the "white shit" of course. Then it looks like you're rockin!

i better order a kilo of "white shit" soon!!!

If that works. Depending on the price you could probably just go to you local hardware store and grab a bag of HP potting mix. Or something similar. This is what I use. It comes in different sizes and colored bags. But this will do you just fine. I think I spent 30/40$ on this huge bag. But a smaller one would run you like 5-10$

As you can see it's got some white shit in it. Some peat moss of some kind. Maybe a little mulch or humus. Perfect deal
image25150.jpg

image25151.jpg

CFL5.jpg

Great visual aid

Back
Top Bottom