First Post - First Grow! - Discrete 6 Plant Scrog

PhantomGrow

Hey folks, appreciate you taking the time to view my post! A little background before I begin -
I've been smoking our favorite plant for roughly four years now, and she still amazes me everyday. From the mental benefits to the physical, I could not be more thankful for Marijuana and what it's done for me. Having already shelled out a pretty penny the last few years for decent smoke, I've finally decided enough is enough. And here I am today, trying to produce some quality personal cannabis to alleviate the pressure that's been placed on my wallet. Lets begin! (Commentary, critique, ALL input taken whole heatedly)

Strain(s) - White Widow x2, THC Bomb x2, Amensia x1, and Sweet Coffee Ryder x1
Medium - Soil (FFOF & an additional 15% perlite)
Nutrients - Fox farm liquid trio
Container - 5 gallon smart pots x5, 3 gallon smart pot x1
Grow Space - Wooden 3'w x 2'd x 6'h (Far from completely sealed)
Lighting - 600 watt Apollo Horticulture Ballast, 600 watt MH for veg 600 watt hps for flower (Dimmed to 75%)
Exhaust - 240 cfm duct fan for the light only. Four 4" exhaust holes on top, immeasurable passive intake from
bottom.
Circulation - 2x small 30 CFM desk fans.
RH - 35-45%
Temperature - Lights on 81-84 degrees, lights off 72-76 degrees.
PH - 6.3-6.8
All grown from seed.

Plants are on day 16 of veg, no idea what I'll be doing with the autoflower. Intend on scrogging. Box setup is extremely temporary and will be altered to exhaust out of my window within the next week. Not sure if I should purchase another inline fan for the box itself. Concerned with smell, but not overly concerned. Questions I'd like answered - given my space, when should I begin to LST? (I've already topped two plants). When should I setup the scrog screen? What in the world should I do about my autoflower being thrown into the mix? How essential is it that there is absolutely no light entering the grow space during flowering?

Hey, welcome. You came to a good place. Re the lst. I just do it when the branches get long enough to make it worthwhile trying to tie them down. I use pipe cleaners and holes drilled around the edges of the pots. I don't put the screen on until flowering because I have two rooms and don't want to deal with moving the screens from veg to flowering. It works just fine. Absolutely no light leaks during the dark period/flowering time night at all. Not even a glimmer and no interruptions to the schedule. Not sure about the autoflower. They do better with longer hours.

Lol I didn't really think about it at all! Wow I'm definitely gonna have to brainstorm the unsealed box situation. Would it be worth it to buy a tent? I mean I probably have enough darkness to keep them in flower, but if it'll impact my yield.. That's worry some. Oh wow, and their easy to coax under the screen after already being in flower?

It was the "heatedly" part I was laughing at. Not too many heated arguments on this site though usually. I've never used a tent or looked at one because I generally go the diy route, so I have no idea what they cost or anything. Hard to say especially without pics what your best option is there to get things sealed up. The plants don't really start flowering for a few weeks after I put them in the 12/12 room. They do stretch lots in those weeks though which helps with filling the screen and gives me options for arranging branches the way I want. I'm no scrog expert, I just started doing it.
Edit- the reason for sealing it up during flowering is- light leaks have been known to cause hermaphroditism. During veg light leaks don't seem (to me) to matter so much.

Thanks for the interest and assistance!! Too stoned to get heated haha. So for your DIY setup cracker, what do you use? PVC tent build? Or a cabinet of some kind?

Why are you dimming the 600 for flower -- is that a temperature thing? Or did I miss that?

Thankful I've got some gurus in the thread. Yes, I was dimming the ballast due to temperature but I've found that I can now maintain 84 with lights on at 100%, so that's where I sit. Actually just purchased a tent and additional 240cfm fan. Need to macguiver a stealthy window exhaust setup now, any suggestions?

without knowing your set up I dont have enough experience to guide you on the exhaust. I'd try to get that going though, so you can deal with the heat while giving your girls the most light possible. Good luck!!

Search on making a light baffle setup to put in the window. Basically a way that gives the venting path a couple 90 degree bends, painted black inside. Which will prevent light from getting in or shining out. If that seems necessary even depending on your situation . 84 is a bit too high.

actually 84 is ok in soil in fact at that temp you can make use of some co2

I've heard mid 80s is acceptable for my setup assuming they don't go underwatered. Just gave them their first bit of nutes yesterday morning. My amnesia is doing a little bit of leaf curling. Taco style upwards. Think it's because of the heat?

image22546.jpg
image22545.jpg

This was about two days ago

Back
Top Bottom