First Post - First Grow! - Discrete 6 Plant Scrog

Then again bringing air in from the outside also opens you up to a whole shit ton of new contaminants to your controlled environment. Just keeping in mind again the basics of heat rises and being able to get the air from the top out and introducing any new air in is all you need. Tents are kinda hard because of the fact that if they didn't come with the available air ducts you need to make them. Maybe creating a way to seal a small input fan into the top pulling in constant cool air from the house and an exhaust at the opposite side would be effective. You can use them lil computer fans and that allows for a lot of air flow. With me I keep my door open a bit a small fan bringing in cool air from the house and a standard fan with constant movement inside. Granted I don't use a temp gauge or RH meter for that matter so I don't really know the temps. With your tent that isn't an option obviously tho...

Firstly I'd like to say thank you. You guys have been far more encouraging and helpful than any other cannabis forum I've been too, and I really can't convey my appreciation enough. Without all of the insight and kind words, I would of likely already become discouraged. So again - THANK YOU.
Secondly - I live in an incredibly hot and humid climate. Intake from the window is absolutely out of the question especially with the hotter months in bound. I will soon be creating a faugh window curtain setup that will contain my exhaust ducting. Hopefully this suffices a majority of my cooling needs, but if it doesn't... Thankfully my second 240cfm duct fan just came in the mail today. So I'll be installing that tonight, it will serve as my exhaust fan for circulating grow room air. I pray that I see some improvement from that aswell, but honestly who knows. I wouldn't want to exhaust that air outside and so it'd just be circulating my apt air repeatedly.. Still think it'll be an improvement over no exhaust at all.
THIRD - does anyone have a suggestion for what I should do with this Autoflower? I need a viable strategy for when it begins the flowerin stage in 2 weeks or so.

If your climate is that warm and you have the funds I have seen people use miniature A/C machines. Also you can make a swamp type cooler also. 5 gallon bucket with a fan blowing air into the top. A few outlets for air and water in the bottom. I am not sure what the effect with the humidity would be but the cooling effect would be there. Now bear with me on this one ok..... Im just a simple mechanic with no real computer skills and less then that drawing ability..... So I kinda drew a picture. You take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it still and start with that. The lid is approximately 12'' the height it 18'' or so. Cut a hole in the lid to match the side of a fan you choose. Id say 6-8'' or so and find a way to create a air tight seal. Cut ventilation ducts like in a cars HVAC blowers for some type of directional ability roughly 1' from the bottom. I guess you could just cut holes also who knows. Fill the bottom 6'' with water. And there you go a ghetto swamp cooler. Here is a beautiful picture for you.

cooler6.jpg

I might be way off here not to mention I don't know what level of DIY your at however the concept should work..... Good luck bro.

My flower room stays at ~83 (door open) and they don't mind it but they are also much larger and can take more punishment. If you can bring it down to mid 70s that's prime temp for growing. If it's taco'ing up I'd say it's most likely heat or humidity related. Can you dial the exhaust fan up anymore to pull the extra heat out? If not you could consider raising C02 levels which will balance out the higher temps or rather allow you to maintain a higher temp level without harming the plants. I've read that if you can maintain 1500 PPM of C02 you can comfortably sit at like 90 degrees as long as you're moving fresh air around. If you want to know more on that look up the relationship between co2 and temperature but that's all I can really chime in on.

edit: didn't realize there was 4 pages of convo already, not paying attention. :laughtwo: long past the taco'ing issue, right? lol

Could still consider raising C02 levels! Would take care with your issues. Or get a dual hose AC unit that will keep it cool and you can find one that would take care of your tent for a few hundred bucks. 6,000 or 8,000 btu would be overkill but nice to not run at 100% all the time.

image22984.jpg
image22981.jpg
image22982.jpg

Help! Literally in the last two days the lower leaves have begun yellowing and drying out. The top fan leaves of my Amensia are beginning to spot, and some of the other girls look kind of plastic (dark green veins with a lighter green around). The yellowing started with the tips of my lower leaves and is now beginning to affect the larger fan leaves on the top. Nitrogen? Humidity? Freaking me out!

Hey Phantom!

Love what you've got going on here! You've already got the best in the game giving you some solid advice. But I've read through your journal and you've got a solid grasp on your situation! Great work!

Just noticed you were concerned about the yellowing of your lower leaves. I wouldn't be too worried about them. Yellowing of the bottom leaves is quite normal. Especially the lowest ones, so I wouldn't be to worried.

Also, if I may, I noticed a bit of curled leaves around the parameters. What is the PH of your water supply?

Don't change to many things at once trying to figure it out. Cause you won't know what variable it is that needs adjusting.

Your plants look lush and beautiful Holmes! You're doing something right! Keep it up!

Thank you pigeon! Definitely digging the critical hog you grew, the bud back building technique looks interesting what does that entail? At first I wasn't too concerned but I woke up today to find some of the top fan leaves yellowing and excessively curling. I definitely think it's a PH problem. I'm using a drop test kit and find it to be pretty inaccurate. I'm likely going to purchase a digital PH tester this weekend. Any suggestions on how to fix the PH (if it's the problem) before my next watering? Thanks!

there are products called ph up and ph down maybe pick them up when you get your tester. test your water and adjust accordingly. if you are using tap water remember to let it sit out 24-48 hours to allow the chlorine to evaporate. with inner colors changing like that kinda randomly maybe inspect for mites or other critters. it really doesn't look like a immediate concern at this point just monitor the leaves for more changes.

I have PH up and down but it's been difficult to get a perfect 6.5 every watering. Would RO water help? And could pests do that kind of damage/cause yellowing?

I wouldn't assume pests. But since that is a problem I've never had, it's possible? But I don't think so.

RO water will help! But what I would recommend is getting a water reservoir. So you can treat a greater amount of water at one time. I use a 70L Platic tote. And it works great. I treat that water once a week or so then use it to water my plants. It beats trying to adjust the water every feeding.

Also I don't know your location or the quality of the water. But I would suggest leaving your water out for at least 12 hours to evaporate the chlorine, which is quite devastating to the plants. I'll take a picture of my resevoiur when I get home.

But I'm with PTSD it doesn't look like it's anything to be overly concerned about. Fix the water first then wait a few days and see how that works

Best of luck Holmes!

I don't think it would be pests causing the yellowing, no. But the specks on the leaves yes. I mean -it's a possibility, not yes you have pests. You should be able to see any pests if you inspect leaves closely. Overwatering could account for the yellowing too. They do look wet in the photos but that might not mean much. The wet to dry soil cycle between waterings is important though.
There is heat stress going on. What height/spot relative to your plants is your thermometer placed at?
I've found the test drops are adequate in a pinch, I just try to avoid going over anything that looks 7 ph or higher. You could look into top-dressing the soil with a bit of lime. The plants look good though, cover the basics and they'll be fine.

Nothing crazy. Just a little tub filled with water. PH is corrected to about 6ish. I also use the drops. And there not overly accurate but they work good enough... At my local grow shop they sell PH pens but the suckers are 80$. So for now the drops work ok for me. I also hooked up a cheap fish pump to keep the water oxygenated
image22993.jpg

I've done my best not to overwater usually waiting until the leaves begin to slightly droop before watering and allowing atleast the top 2-2.5" of soil to become dry. My thermometer is 6" below the canopy currently sitting on the pots. Idiotic I know. I really think it could be pests now actually... But which I'm unsure. I've definitely seen a few fungus gnats... I wonder how bad the problem could be getting at night. I'm also seeing a bit of white mildew on the leaves, and what looks to be chewing/chlorophyll sappage. Checking under the leaves provides me with no information.. Small brown dots which look to be soil not poop. I was thinking possibly a little Thrip infestation. I definitely can't see them, but given the symptoms it would make some sense. I will definitely be looking in to getting a reservoir - why I haven't done so already is beyond me. Especially considering all the massive totes I have laying around haha

I wouldn't call that idiotic mate. But if you're still getting to the mid 80s at soil level then it's probably a bit higher at the top of the plants and generally on the high side. I'm sure you've (obviously) already looked, but if any of those little brown specks start crawling around then that is obviously a problem. Sorry, I don't know anything about thrips. One of the few problems I haven't had yet

I also found that when I bought a 20$ humidifier it also lowered my temps by a couple degrees. While also gadding moisture to the air

Another cheap alternative

I had in the past a diy humidifier like PTSD said. Fans blowing in the reservoir, water and some holes. I think it brought my temps down by 1-2 degrees celsius but did not changed the humidity one bit :)). I also keep my water in 10L bottles fro 3-10 days even more, depends on how much I use.
I was thinking that the curling in the leaves is from heat but now that the guys said it might be pests or ph problems idk. I just know I had the same problem in the past. I'm also new, I know many things from reading not so much experience :). Started six mounths ago and till today still have doubts about my tent temp. Had 4 termo/rh meters all read different from eachother and I bought 2 weeks ago a intake fan with termostat. Ofc it's readings are different from 2 thermometers... And here I am giving you advice :))

Back
Top Bottom