First Post - First Grow! - Discrete 6 Plant Scrog

alright guys, as expected... The temperature has risen after switching to the hps. What I didn't expect was how drastic
That temperature change would be. 8-10 degrees higher, absolute insanity. It went from 81/82-88/91. I have no idea how I'm going to combat the heat. So current setup (and maybe it should be rearranged, feel free to let me know..) two 6" 240 cfm duct fans both being used to cool the light attached to a cooltube. Pulling 72-73 degree air from an 8' piece of ducting and exhausting (sadly into the bathroom with the fan on) via a 5' piece of ducting. Two small desk fans roughly 30cfm each are blowing on the underside of the canopy, and I plan on purchasing another fan - it will be much larger and oscillating at roughly 100cfm. Currently I don't have the option to exhaust outside as it'd be loud, obnoxious, and the complete opposite of discrete. Not to mention the fact that it honestly doesn't help much when I do it in the later hours of the day.. Currently the only way to bring the temps down is to dim the ballast (which I am) to a meek 300 watts.. And the temp is still around 84/85. I feel as though this will dramatically impact my yield. Is my last option to invest in an AC? Advice is appreciated.

Thanks! Yes, my screens those size fit four per 600w light. But really I want to fasten them together into one screen and grow one plant per 600. Just working my way through a bunch of different strains to find out which plants I want to grow the most. To be honest it didn't take very much training for that plant to end up the way it looks in the screen. It was easy. That is a jack herer. Unfortunately it's the greenhouse seeds company version which I am not impressed with at all so far. I harvested one small one already and personally don't like the smoke. It was vegged for nine weeks, from seed. It probably vegged slowly with with the LST and whatnot-I wasn't in a hurry

Jack Herer is one of my all time favorites, whats the genetics on it? I just picked up some auto fems from cropking that are from the original JH, i'll let ya know.

After further research, it seems that even on the 50% dimmed option I'll be making more than enough light for the space in which they're growing. Roughly 7800 lumens per sqr foot, and with the new oscilating fan I purchased temps are in check. I shouldn't be training my autoflower anymore, correct? As it has about 4 weeks of flowering left before harvest. Also, and I know this is a touchy subject in the grow community.. But any opinions further defoliation? I still have quite a bit of foliage below the screen, should absolutely everything go? And when should I perform further defoliation? This is day 5 after switching to 12/12

image24367.jpg
image24366.jpg
image24365.jpg

I would finish up on defoil if that's what you want to do. You don't want to defoil to much into your 12/12. You want bud production and not unwanted stress because of defoil. After the first week, try and have all of it done

I don't defoil at all. I don't believe in it. I believe that the plant has the all her leaves for a reason. To gather energy and food via photosynthesis. I lollipop my girls (YouTube lollipoping). I remove dead leaves but they must be DEAD!

I guess I'm just gonna leave them the way they are man, I'll just pull off the stuff that dies as I go along. I figure I've done enough defoliating though. Really hoping the buds on this autoflower swell up, because as of now they look super skimpy. Counting over 50 tops, which is close to 10 per plant, which I really can't complain about I suppose. Is there an ideal number? Is it user preference or strain dependent?

I don't know if there's an ideal number. But bro. You have at least 8-10 weeks left of her doing her thing. So the size will blow you away when their done. I bet you get some big buds Holmes

The autoflower should only go for another 4-5 and that's adding 1-2 weeks on top of the seed banks estimate. Still think there's a chance? The photoperiods I expect to do pretty well. They look healthy. If I've learned anything my first time around, it's that 6 plants is wayyyyy too many for a 3x2 scrog lol

Everytime I see a Scrog journal it makes me wish I didn't chicken out of trying it for my first grow, I would also like to know if that last pic is a hermie too, because I have no experience in identifying them yet.

Upon further research I don't believe so. I had some noob panic, but feel relatively confident now that they're just some very swollen calyx. Attached at every node, not on a small branch of their own, and definitely teardrop shaped as opposed to banana. It's really hard to train all of them with this much foliage ):. I feel it compromises the entire point of scrog as I can't get each branches horizontal growth to come through the canopy. But I'll continue to learn and zip tie haha

Update :
image24777.jpg

Do you guys think I should continue training? Currently 11 days since I flipped to 12/12, and I worry that even if I train everything under the screen some of it will never grow to the height I need. I let it go all of yesterday and the day before. Growth is now about 3-4" above the canopy. Not anywhere near as much explosive growth

It does look to me, from this great distance anyway, like it pretty settled into starting to make flowers now.It doesn't have that stretchy look. You can always move branches any time you want if they get long, but for now - if it was mine I'd just leave it. Looking good:thumb:

Yeah that picture doesn't really do my screen justice, the right side is actually very well filled in. Probably a node in every square. Part of my concern lies in the fact that some of the growth off the branches that began growing completely horizontally has slowed down to a near hault, and will prevent me from creating a completely even canopy :/

It looks pretty close, and it will change and fill out a bit more in flowering obviously. Sometimes I tie branches to the net to get that little bit of sideways movement- when they are a little tall but aren't quite tall enough to move over by a square. I got a roll of double sides Velcro type stuff from the garden center- cut it into whatever length loop I need and tie some of the branches to the netting that way to arrange them a little more.

Growth is getting crazy. Pre flowers started coming in a couple days ago, and now one of the THC bombs is covered in pistils. Should I do something about this canopy or let it grow?
image24874.jpg
image24873.jpg

Let it grow my man. If you look at mine. Yours look amazing. Mine is so uneven and demented, makes yours look like a goddess lol.

You're killing it my man keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom