First post let's see if I can get some answers

Cannacriz

420 Member
Hey all how's everyone doing today. I've had this problem a few times now and I'm not sure what causes it. The leaves almost turn to eggshell like. Is it overwatering? I don't think I overwater since others are doing great.
Cant wait to hear your help and thanks!

Attachments

• 20200306_164556.jpg
    20200306_164556.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200306_164526.jpg
    20200306_164526.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200306_164514.jpg
    20200306_164514.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 74

Right sorry. It's just a general promix potting soil. My water is ph between 6.2 6.5. I've been using a wand to water everyday but not soaking the pot mostly the top few inches around the pot. Light is hlg300 v2 and I have it dimmed to about 70%. No nutes as of yet. Temps are quite steady around 24 25c. It's a Colorado cookies s1 auto that I made myself and am testing them to make sure no hermie balls got in the mix. I'm just doubtful like that. And I'm running 18/6. This might help. I had this issue before and thought I eliminated it. I was running ffof/ffhf but it was killing them so that's why I changed soil and have not had the problem with all them.

Yes, I also strongly suspect that you are overwatering by watering too often. What is likely happening is that even though you are giving a small amount, intending to just water the top surface each day; what is not being used immediately by the top spreader roots just below the surface, is then dropping down to the bottom and adding to the the pool of stagnant oxygen starved water sitting in the bottom. Watering just the top is a valid strategy whilst starting out a seedling, but as soon as the plant's width has spread out to 1/3 to fully the width of the container, it is time to fully water the container to runoff each time, and then wait for the plant to use ALL of that water before watering again.

The waiting is what you are not doing and why your plants are shutting down... they are simply getting too much water and the lower roots, not being able to ever get oxygen pulled down to them, are going into survival mode.
I would like you to read two pieces of mine... both referenced below. The how to water a small plant in a large container article will explain the top surface watering method and when that is appropriate, and the main article will explain how you need to water from now on, trying to establish the wet/dry cycle that our weeds love so much.

Back
Top Bottom