First time grow, help please

Ollylake

Hi!

As the title suggests, this is my first season growing weed. So far I have germinated my seeds and got some nice seedlings started. I am about one week in.

4 of my 5 plants have sprouted and opened up nicely, one seems to be stuck closed. Is this normal? I have added a picture for reference.

Also, two of the plants have sprouted very tall in comparison to the others, nearly three times the length. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Lastly, I’m concerned with overwatering and underwatering. What indicators should I be looking for? How often should I be watering my plants? I’m using a spray bottle to water gently and currently water them 1-2 times per day.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FEBA4CAC-0166-484D-BEDE-94889622C9F0.jpeg
    FEBA4CAC-0166-484D-BEDE-94889622C9F0.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 140
  • CE3A3245-6118-41FE-BF76-EF174D7F8B43.jpeg
    CE3A3245-6118-41FE-BF76-EF174D7F8B43.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 155
4 of my 5 plants have sprouted and opened up nicely, one seems to be stuck closed. Is this normal? I have added a picture for reference.
It happens. At this point you can carefully slip a thin toothpick between the cotyledons to open them up and expose the leaves to the light.

Also, two of the plants have sprouted very tall in comparison to the others, nearly three times the length. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Not really. There are several reasons this occurs, different phenotypes, light levels, and grow medium. You can bury the tall ones a little deeper when you transplant them.

Consider starting a journal under Grow/Grow Journals on the menu above. I'm not answering the watering question as I don't know what you are using as a grow medium at this point. Start the journal with the information asked for in "How to Ask for Grow Support." The journal will serve as a handy reference for future grows, and help us answer any questions you may have.

Perhaps using a pair of tweezers to remove the debris would help the plant to open up.

When stems get tall like that the plants are "reaching" for more light, so the light is too far away. Can only speak for LEDs, but 18-20 inches away is a good distance.

What type of light and what wattage is it?

As far as watering, can only speak for growing in coco, which is once per day in smaller pots, then up to twice per day in larger. I believe in soil you can wait until about a half inch or so on the top is dry before it could use more. The actual amount does not matter as much, just as long as the growing medium is wet / stays moist.

It’s just some led grow light I found in Home Depot. I think it’s a 19w.

I have opened the leaves up with some tweezers and a toothpick. Everything looks good.

As for watering, I think I’m going to proceed with my current plan. Essentially just keeping the soil moist using my spray bottle until it’s ready to transplant into a larger container. Is it possible that I could damage the plant by doing this?

If it were me I'd go as close as 5" and see how they react. You'll need a stronger light later, lots of good ones online. Or a window with good sun exposure (if it's legal in your state).

I’m only using this light until I can move the plants outside. I plan on moving them end of May.

It’s legal to grow here in Toronto

You are making things harder for yourself and the plant by starting in those little seeders...preferably you would have, at a minimum, a 12 oz cup but I prefer something 2-3x bigger...it allows you a lot more margin of error for watering as also gives you a solid 2-3 weeks for the plant to grow and get strong before you transplant. As @Old Salt said, you can bury the stems when you transplant...for now your biggest risk is overwatering and getting root bound...try to move them into a larger soil volume soon,

:goodluck:

You are making things harder for yourself and the plant by starting in those little seeders...preferably you would have, at a minimum, a 12 oz cup but I prefer something 2-3x bigger...it allows you a lot more margin of error for watering as also gives you a solid 2-3 weeks for the plant to grow and get strong before you transplant. As @Old Salt said, you can bury the stems when you transplant...for now your biggest risk is overwatering and getting root bound...try to move them into a larger soil volume soon,

Something like a solo cup with holes poked in the bottom?

Something like a solo cup with holes poked in the bottom?
They work well. A lot of the folks here use them. I have a bunch of 4" (10cm) nursery pots Let over from a previous endeavor, so that's what I use.

Ok, so I transplanted then into solo cups this morning and think I may have damaged at least two of the plants. The soil was falling away from the roots when I cut the plastic from around it..... hopefully I haven’t screwed it up too badly. I was as delicate as I could be.
They are robust plants...they'll be fine. :)

those seeders suck, youll see for yourself after a while. id get rid of them for the next round for sure

I like the nursery pots as they are designed to let the rootball slide out without damage. Many other containers, including the larger solo cups, have ridged sides that can damage them when you try to remove the rootball.

When you use those multi-plant seed trays, the best way to remove the plants is to let them grow enough roots to hold the soil together, water lightly, and push up from the bottom. It's usually quite flexible, and the plant will just pop out.

I like the nursery pots as they are designed to let the rootball slide out without damage.

I use the deli quart containers...they're free and reusable! They have a smooth and the root ball slides out with a little tap on the bottom....I fill my larger pot with soil with an (empty) quart container in the middle, slide out the empty, slide in the root ball...easy.

I use these fibre pots personally. When theyre big enough just plant straight into the soil. Roots grow through without a hiccup once wet and in soil (it basically turns into soil instantly lol)

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_231429_750.jpg
    IMG_20190318_231429_750.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 143
Back
Top Bottom