First Time Grow Journal - Outside - Kaya Gold & Freebies

Sweet Sue, thanks for the input. Conradino commented the leaf issues were nute burn. Laying off the nutes now. I know you grow inside, do you have any thoughts on lights for me to finish my girls the last few weeks in my garage. I'm committed to doing that. I can't see how they can finish outside in the time they have left. Expected frost date Nov. 15. I'm thinking some kind of a frame with CFLs. I have some old fashioned shop type florescent fixtures, but wiring would be difficult and then what lights? I got the three girls pictured above. Any idea how many cfls I would need the last 3-4 weeks of flowering. How close? I figure I have a month to figure this out and a small budget.

Sweet Sue, thanks for the input. Conradino commented the leaf issues were nute burn. Laying off the nutes now. I know you grow inside, do you have any thoughts on lights for me to finish my girls the last few weeks in my garage. I'm committed to doing that. I can't see how they can finish outside in the time they have left. Expected frost date Nov. 15. I'm thinking some kind of a frame with CFLs. I have some old fashioned shop type florescent fixtures, but wiring would be difficult and then what lights? I got the three girls pictured above. Any idea how many cfls I would need the last 3-4 weeks of flowering. How close? I figure I have a month to figure this out and a small budget.

That's a tough call KK, because CFLs aren't cheap and you'd need a mess of them to get them through flowering. Just winging it off the top of my head you're probably looking at over $200 in CFLs to get it done. I spent $80 to build 8 strings that would accommodate up to 24 lights between them and suspended them around the plants with spectacular effect. Then I just kept adding on more bulbs, using power strips and plug-in adapters. I only grew 2 plants at the time. Bulbs alone are going to run between $3 and $15 apiece, depending on the wattage.

It works. It works well. I proved that. But for three plants it's just as costly as more effective systems. Here's a link to an excellent thread on CFLs that will give you a better idea of what I mean.

CFL Light Tutorial

IMO, the lleast expensive way to get a reasonable amount of light on girls that big is with HPS.Not exactly cheap but the most bang for your buck and less than CFLs.

Thanks again Major. I'm on this. I see it now. Learning curve is spiking. I knew nothing about lights. Now I already see this is the way to go. Of course, they work inside. Looks like the way to go. Stay with me please. I appreciate the help. I was going to need light anyway, just because. I have a little wine cellar in the basement that needs adjustment. Cannabis is way easier on the liver.

Hey, nwpassage, thanks for stopping in. It could seem depressing, but I'm not a all. It is by no means a question of why they "didn't" flower, but rather when. This is my first time growing cannabis, but I have grown other plants nearly every year for the past 40 or so. Unless these are some ridiculous mutants, it is their biological imperative to flower. It is only a question of when. And they will for sure. But my time has run out to bring these to mature harvest outside has run out. So we will finish them inside. I am far from depressed, just challenged. And I am so lucky to have angels on my shoulders here following me. They aren't going to tell me how to do it, but I know they are here to guide me to help make sure I make the right decisions. Why haven't these guys flowered so far. I chose the wrong strains. I tried to defend my choice earlier, but that was silly in hindsight. Stay on board. Watch. Drama it will be. But these girls will do it. How couldn't they? They are strong and healthy. Watch.

IMO, the lleast expensive way to get a reasonable amount of light on girls that big is with HPS.Not exactly cheap but the most bang for your buck and less than CFLs.

I'd have to stand with Major here. You get a lot of bang for the buck. I don't use them, but many successful growers do.

Hi KK. I was away for a few days and am subbed to so many journals and threads now that it's been crazy catching up.
So you are going to try and move them inside, it sounds like. Probably a good start is to read through some of the threads in this area. How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know Lots of info about lighting and everything else.
Indoor lighting brings a few issues with it. The need for fresh air and temp control usually leads to a vent fan setup. If you're using lighting which makes a lot of heat (HID lighting.- I use this myself) then shedding excess heat and drawing in fresh cooling air is usually necessary. I have my fan plugged into a thermostat I bought. It turns on to blast the hot air outside - while cool air automatically sucks in through a lower vent. It's pretty easy.
What else? Hmmmm... Well- you'll need a timer, and to have the electrical situation set up so that it's straightforward and safe. It sounds like you have the gardening skills that you can figure out the rest. Using artificial light doesn't give you the nice coverage that the sun does- so to cover those tall plants, I think you'll either need quite a lot of wattage, possible arranged in creative ways as side lighting, or need to train your plants a bit to make them a bit more two dimensional, and/or possibly shrink your garden down a little (?) depending on your resources.

Weaselcracker is absolutely right. Growing inside is more involved than just hanging a light on a timer. It isn't difficult, but be prepared for the extra heat (sometimes good / sometimes bad) and humidity. Count on needing ventillation even if temp's aren't an issue. I don't run my HPS during the summer - too hot. That's when I grow outside. But during the fall/winter/spring, the added heat keeps my little grow space just about perfect for temperature. I run an exhaust fan on a thermostat so it can pull the hot air out when it gets above my preset level. I also have a tiny heater in there for the days when extra heat is needed but the light is off. You can get 600W or 1000W MH/HPS lamp systems for well under $200. Consider getting one with a "cool tube" to help keep down the temperatures near the lamp.

Thanks guys. That gives me a lot to think about. I'd be using my garage, and it will be cold outside by they time I would move them in. I would't make the move until the last minute. Sounds like HPS is the way to go. I see the kits you are likely referring to Major. Maybe Apollo or iPower. Right off the bat I see 600W dimmable with electronic ballast, HPS/MH with cool tube for about $150. I've got time to think about this, at least a month. I'm going to watch, wait and think right now. I really appreciate the help. Thanks, again. And good to see you back Weaselcracker.

Memo to self in journal: My followers will call me crazy for talking to you, my girls, but that is fine. My girls and I had a conference about moving the girls in containers indoors. There seems to be a consensus at least right now. That is that we started this an an outdoor grow, and we should end it that way. We agreed I would take all measures to protect from frost, etc. and that I would do my best to protect them and make them as productive as possible. And that we'd harvest them early if we had to. The girls told me if things turn to total shit I could change my mind. Let's finish what we started.

I bet you have more concerns with wet than cold.
When the time comes, can you tent them somehow with some poles and a plastic tarp, or something?

Here's a shot from this afternoon.

IMG_0034140.JPG

With regard to the KG in the dirt, I've been having a thought here. She's kinda crowded in the garden. I didn't really expect her to land there. She has monster fan leaves compared to the girls in the containers. Some are bigger than dinner plates. Sunlight is getting to be less. I see the leaves under the canopy having a bit of a hard time growing as well as they might. I'm thinking of taking off selected fan leaves to let in more light. A small percentage. I've studied the pros and cons of removing fan leaves, and in my rookie stage am a proponent of leaving what nature intended. That is my natural approach to gardening anyway. But? Thoughts?

I think that given your situation with changing weather patterns and diminishing sunlight, anything you can do to get more light penetration would benefit your girls. You know you can juice those leaves? At the very least save them to toss into your next batch of soil.

The thing is KK, you're chasing a tight timeline now anyway, looking at taking them early if necessary. Removing some select fan leaves won't do that much damage. Just don't go overboard and slow her down any.

Back
Top Bottom