First Time Grower, Bagseed/CFL's/Soil + Hydro

marrons

I've been posting in the FAQ section a bunch and decided to make a journal, I might b able to get more help if ppl follow what im doing. I'm into my third week of growth, from the first seedlings popping out. Im not growing anything special just plain bagseed, I've heard this is good to do to get your thumb green. Right now they're just in my closet but i do have a 5'x5'x26" grow box in the making but there's 2 safes in the closet that i need to get out first.
0801001427.jpg

this is them in day 2-3. yes i know they're SUPA long and thats a small bic lighter. If i had as much fun in learning in school as i do with this, i would've been done by now. I corrected my mistake and put the lights closer, i even make my own CFL setup
0806001644.jpg

thats 4 2700k 14w and 4 5000k 14w (both on sale, pack of 4 for 3 bux) I now have 3 more 6500k 20 watt around that structure with reflectors.

0805001644.jpg

This is them a < a week later, still long as hell :S i had to put some supports and started using an oscillating fan on low. they got a lot better and soon put them into soil.
0808000240a.jpg

and i made the mistake of using MG b4 i got to the threads about mixing perlite/vermiculite with topsoil and such. Im going to move them from those 20oz bottles to big pots when i c the roots start to grow. now when i transfer them should i do the perlite/topsoil mix to help with drainage?

I also had some late bloomers from the seeds
0805001643.jpg

im trying not to do the whole stretching thing but i dont wana burn the other plants as well.
I was reading alot into the hydro setup and found a cheap air pump at the pet store so I decided to grab 10 of the better looking seedlings and put them in a DWC setup
0808000240.jpg

I have 2 1" airstones underneath, but i wana get the 4" to cover more space. The whole thing came out pretty good and i covered it with duct tape (i couldn't find a dark container)
I also took over one of my friends projects (he gave me 2 cut off 2 liter bottles and said "its not working, here have the dirt") 3 days later like 14 plants popped out
0808000241b.jpg

Im thinking about going guerilla and planting them in this humongous blackberry patch.

The whole thing is going good right now, i have aluminum covering the plants to reflect the light, a fan, and i know its a little overkill but i did one of those sugar/yeast CO2 contraptions, I'm not in my room all that much so i thought a little CO2 might help. temp is 75-82 depending on if my computer is on or not lol. I water everything with distilled water. I haven't started the ones in soil with nutes yet b/c MG has enough of the starting nutes correct? the hydro system is doing good, but i had to replace 1 of the plants (it wasn't growing correctly) I'll post pics of what it looks like now when i find the little chip for my phone. I'll get a better camera in a few weeks.

:welcome: Marrons, I am not a hydro person so cannot advise much, but I think they need to be repotted deeper. To tall, and they will develope more roots if planted deeper. Maybe one of the Hydro people will jump in and advise about nutes and lites. You have a lot of babies on your hands!!

:welcome: Marrons, i am not a hydro person so cannot advise much, but i think they need to be repotted deeper. To tall, and they will develope more roots if planted deeper. Maybe one of the hydro people will jump in and advise about nutes and lites. You have a lot of babies on your hands!!

+1

Wow have they gotten bigger
0813002313a.jpg

I've almost got all the materials for my box complete, just gotta run to lowes one more time, my babies will b in a new house pretty soon.
the ones in the DWC setup are doing pretty good too, their roots are longer than i though they would get
0813002313b.jpg

I'm just waiting for them to get a little bigger and im going to change the lights to 20/4, Ive started feeding the one in the dwc with 1/4 nutrients of 30-10-10.

this one i especially like the size
0813002311.jpg

So i can't believe its only been 1/2 a month, my babies are doing great. The ones in the DWC are a bit slow to grow upwards, but their roots are GINORMOUS. i have a bigger container to put them in when my box is finished.
0816001633.jpg

i was trying to get a pic of the roots, but i can't fully elevate it out of the container myself.
0816001633a.jpg

they are so beautiful T.T. I think im more infatuated with watching them grow.

My box is in the making. i got very shiny sheet metal to encompass the inside, the whole thing is 5'x5'8"x26" i think its an ample ammount of space, i wana c how many i grow in there comfortably.
0815001952.jpg

there's the front side in the making, putting in a 4x4 door on hinges :p
0815001941.jpg

there's the back +1 side.
for lighting i have a 2' fluorescent fixture with 1 6500k 40 watt tube and 1 2700k 40w tube. then 4 more 6500k 20 watt CFL and 4 2700 14w CFL's

My friend just came across 2 granddady kush seeds. When this grow is almost done im going to start the kush seeds and hopefully either have 2 females, or the chance to harvest a bunch of kush seeds :p

The whole thing is going good right now, i have aluminum covering the plants to reflect the light, a fan, and i know its a little overkill but i did one of those sugar/yeast CO2 contraptions, I'm not in my room all that much so i thought a little CO2 might help. temp is 75-82 depending on if my computer is on or not lol. I water everything with distilled water. I haven't started the ones in soil with nutes yet b/c MG has enough of the starting nutes correct?.

Those temps are perfect, and regarding nutrients it depends on the type of MG soil you have. If you have the potting mix then you do not need any additional nutes and excess could definitely harm the plants, also make sure not to water too much if you have the potting mix because it has time release nutes so water releases more nutes (so flushing would make it worse).

Im thinking about going guerilla and planting them in this humongous blackberry patch.
That box you are building is sweet. Are you putting them in there for the guerrilla grow? if not make sure you have something to keep deer at bay. deers, unlike humans, can easily get through thorny bushes (I learned from experience)
I would test one or two, make sure they are not eaten or found, then add the rest

Good luck, your plants look great.

YES some1 posted, im happy. yeah the MG soil is the potting soil, .21-.7-.14. and no the box is actually for my closet. and the ones i was going to guerilla grow kinda naturally selected themselves and now i have 2 left in 1 bottle and 3 left in the other one, i'll try to separate them and put them into different pots.

I like the fact i grew so many, that way i can try out different stuff like different hydro setups, topping certain plants, i can LST the very long ones and mess with that. that way i can have a better picture of what i wana do later. And if i encounter different problems i can learn alot more. like i said i have those kush seeds that i'll have fun with later.
I still haven't been able to find any squirrel cage fans anywhere and im trying to get my ventilation worked out right, so far i have 4 120mm 110CFM fans that im putting on the sides next to the door with filter material infront. but i wana make an activated carbon filter but i can't find the squirrel fans to make it work right.

hi thought id give you my thoughts althou not a hydro guy...........ok never plant more than one plant per pot as the roots will strangle each other.....ill be suprized if you can seperate them now........your plants have stretched far to much ie. very tall with thin stems........it would help if you had a fan that moved right to left constantly to thicken those stems up........i agree with flybyshooting......and every thing he said.........althou looking at the plants i think you need bigger pots now.........hope you don t think im just being negative about your grow just trying to keep you on the right path.......your doing a great job on the whole for your first grow.....congrats......be lucky weedtastic.ops sorry just noticed the see thru pots ive read roots dont like light and do better in the dark.......thought it worth a mention

thnx for the input. i just got 9 1 gallon potting plants im going to move them over to those after i clean them out. yeah i know they're extra long :*(. i've put it all over my notes to put the light closer on my next grow. they're branching out so much i need to get the box done pretty soon.
I've gotten a crazy idea from something i saw on the net. I have a 3.5' high freezer box that doesn't work anymore. i wana gut out all the cooling crap out of the bottom and turn it into a grow box, for the veg state or to LST 2 plants. its 5' wide, airtight, and thin steel so i think it might work

Is this grow still alive?
If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom