First Time Grower Long Time Toker

Tillyoudie420

Hey everyone just saying hi. I’m from south western Ontario been a long time cannabis lover and decided to try growing with all the extra time I have these days.

hoping to get a journal going shortly, have made lots of mistakes but learning bit by bit

Will post more details in the journal but here’s my 5 week old “peanut butter breath” in my 5 gal bucket (150w ufo led running 18/6) in a 3 gallon smart pot full of fox farms ocean mixed 2:1 with perlite. ... started LST probably later than I should have but live and learn right.

I’m worried about how tight it’s getting in the bucket already, is this normal?

Attachments

• D2CA9F24-F76F-4645-8192-334355E9423E.jpeg
    D2CA9F24-F76F-4645-8192-334355E9423E.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 121
Welcome to :420: @Tillyoudie420
Nice looking plant. There are well known members here that can help you more in depth.
I am just thinking you are going to need a bigger space becasue that plant is only going to get bigger.
Specially in flower time. Could you post a picture of your entire setup,

My thoughts too ... I was going to do a separate post with my setups.

initially I started with a simple 5 gallon space bucket. It has a standard 12v 80mm intake and exhaust fan and 150w Led lights. I made 2 of those. (Admittedly I got lazy with the blackout tape)

As my curiosity and passion continued to flourish I created a new enclosure (mostly because I was worried about space)

the new one is made of (2) 102 liter totes roughly 53 gallon enclosure. I went with a 600w Growstar ledlight.

I used Mylar on the inside since the tote is black and chose larger 120mm fans.

I’m hoping that the light isn’t too much... my vision is build some form of pulley suspension device to attach to the top tote. That way I can get another tote to create a spacer if needed. Between the 2 rigs they are pretty much the same total height which perhaps should have been avoided.

open to all feedback and criticisms, thanks so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 3C024BF7-888F-42D7-8B57-ACB976A21848.jpeg
    3C024BF7-888F-42D7-8B57-ACB976A21848.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109
@Tillyoudie420 No criticism here. Love the DIY mind set.
I'm still in my learning stages and wont be able to give much feedback, but i am sure some well known members can suggust few things.
Your 150w is good for seedling stages,. You made a right choice of grabbing a 600W led light. This can take you to harvest.
One thing forsure tho, you would want your 600w to be adjustable. Look at the manual and see what the suggusted hight is for each stage of the plant. 600W is a good light, but could be better from my readings from blogs and posts.

She looks like a flip and train situation if you are growing in those totes. I've had 5-6" Auto's start to flip and end up 24-28 inches tall. Looks like a healthy plant, hit the flower switch and train your branches. I am a Do It Yourselfer too, I pieced my QB parts from old computer cords, clips, connectors etc. I enjoy on the fly projects.

P.S Are you sure that's a 3 gallon pot, maybe it is and the picture isn't doing it justice. Regardless, start training those plants FLAT, and whenever you decide to flip, Keep training for AT LEAST the first week to 10 days, she could turned out a good zip or so if done right. Your box could be a 12/12 from seed sort of situation too. It's tough to say without all the details. Good Luck. :Namaste:

She looks like a flip and train situation if you are growing in those totes. I've had 5-6" Auto's start to flip and end up 24-28 inches tall. Looks like a healthy plant, hit the flower switch and train your branches. I am a Do It Yourselfer too, I pieced my QB parts from old computer cords, clips, connectors etc. I enjoy on the fly projects.

P.S Are you sure that's a 3 gallon pot, maybe it is and the picture isn't doing it justice. Regardless, start training those plants FLAT, and whenever you decide to flip, Keep training for AT LEAST the first week to 10 days, she could turned out a good zip or so if done right. Your box could be a 12/12 from seed sort of situation too. It's tough to say without all the details. Good Luck. :Namaste:
Thx for the info Johnnie! Good eye on the pots ... I went away for the weekend and had planned to move them up to the 3 gallons...I was blinded by the growth that happened while I was away and totally forgot to move them up AHG!

So last night I did...the first one I tried to extract the plant but I feel like I damaged the roots some...I was to afraid to try that on the other one so I ended up cutting the smart pot...well worth it so much nicer of an extraction.

After that I did some more training and they are looking good today I think I am going to give them another week and then flip them theyre quite flat now that Ive done some more LST

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.44.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.44.37 PM.png
    835.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.44.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.44.07 PM.png
    934.8 KB · Views: 101
Welcome Tillyoudie420, fellow Ontarian!
Looks like you're getting some great advice, and you will absolutely want to train her flat. Once the stretch hits it can very quickly almost double the height. From what I read, once flowering starts you can expect roughly 15%? more growth/height.

Mine almost doubled in size within a week.

Idk I’ve grown two plant 12/12 from seed in dwc they still get pretty big lol here’s the tiny one. After trim.
But I’m a noob. That was plant number 3
A09D1229-57E6-4AFC-A2DC-588CDE52B8F1.jpeg

So something you can get with lst and super cropping, no defoliation 12/12 from seed in hydro. With the most basic noob training of leaving the plant alone with just lst and super cropping. Not very impressive I know. but I got weed hanging now. And that’s all that matters to me. Lol
So thought I’d share what an untopped plant may look like. I’ve got to look Into topping and lollipoping lol. But I’m to scaredy cat right now being a noob. Will get around to it some day though lol
Your space buckets look high tech dude. Way better then the one I made lol.
will see how your space bucket challenge goes. Looks cool.
That and monitor humidity in flower, to high prone to mold.
I keep mine lower then 56 and I’ve got no mold problems.

Idk I’ve grown two plant 12/12 from seed in dwc they still get pretty big lol here’s the tiny one. After trim.
But I’m a noob. That was plant number 3
A09D1229-57E6-4AFC-A2DC-588CDE52B8F1.jpeg

So something you can get with lst and super cropping, no defoliation 12/12 from seed in hydro. With the most basic noob training of leaving the plant alone with just lst and super cropping. Not very impressive I know. but I got weed hanging now. And that’s all that matters to me. Lol
So thought I’d share what an untopped plant may look like. I’ve got to look Into topping and lollipoping lol. But I’m to scaredy cat right now being a noob. Will get around to it some day though lol
Your space buckets look high tech dude. Way better then the one I made lol.
will see how your space bucket challenge goes. Looks cool.
That and monitor humidity in flower, to high prone to mold.
I keep mine lower then 56 and I’ve got no mold problems.
Nice! thanks haha ya its not as fancy as youd think just a couple totes stacked ontop of each other with a couple holes cut out for fan and light lol

how much space do you have in them boxes?
height wise and width what are you working with?
Have you worked out the optimal distances your plants should be from the lightS your using?
Such as germination distance, veg distance and flower?
Don’t want the plants growing so close to the light they get light burn.
which looks like bleached white circles on the leaves for leds in my experience. But they gotta get pretty close to them for that to happen.
So thought I’d drop that down as well.

It’s about 32 inches from where the light sits to the bottom of the box. Canopy is nearing the half way mark. According to a lengthy video I watched one night I learned that cannabis photosynthesis can handle a crap ton of light (just regurgitating check out the vid if your curious) based on the manufacture guidlines I’d have to have this thing like 3 inches from the canopy to be at risk or burn. All the leaves are a dark lush green with no circles or spots of any kind. Appreciate the help though!

Attachments

• 2DF61142-B3AC-42FE-A599-7EA9513294E9.jpeg
    2DF61142-B3AC-42FE-A599-7EA9513294E9.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 91
Oh yeah, nice to see you already got that covered lol. I once grew out a lil plant in an miracle grow aero garden lol. All the buds grew straight into the lights. And then up past them lol.
Them were gnarly funky foxtailing buds.
Very ugly and pitiful. Just thought I’d share this with you as well. Don’t want them against the light like I did :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom