First time grower need some diagnosis suggestions, I've been over every guide already

Powdery mildew also grows rapidly in dry conditions.So to control mildew for real you need air flow and no contamination.Humidity has little to do with its growth its about air flow.
Oh I wasn’t speaking in regards to mildew... just want his ladies to be able to breathe.

Trust me... I believe in airflow. Lol!
But RH is very important too.
4B5EA2E0-8171-41E2-873D-D45D0C5F0D00.jpeg

I tend to go overboard. Lol!
DE0B60D5-6552-4A7A-A6CE-AEF0C59795C2.jpeg

No mildew in there. Lol!
Nice plants but rh has nothing to do with powdery mildews growth it grows in all conditions.

Nice plants but rh has nothing to do with powdery mildews growth it grows in all conditions.
Understood, I don’t have much knowledge in the mildew realm... never had to combat it. Now mites on the other hand... I have some stories. Lol!

You recovered from it better than most though. It was very impressive to watch you work and I sent off to Arbico for a catalogue after seeing your results.
Thanks Em... you, Shed, and Salt got me through it.
Luckily I have an IT job, so I get to sit behind a computer all day and research too. Lol!

All seeds are from the same bag. Same plant I believe.

It's the only plant with Trichomes at this point. There is one other that may have this in the tips of some new leaves. Too early to confirm though. This progression took 1-2 weeks.

lets wait and see what those leaves are going to do, but it is very strange it is the only one doing it. Is it a different variety than the rest?

Also, I never saw any more powder but thanks for all the advice.

I plan on moving some of the more developed root ball plants to 5 gal pails this weekend. The Fox soil you mention, is that an online only thing or will Wallyworld/homedepot/lowes/farm supply have it?

That chart makes me think I need to up my humidity, it's at 40% with 77degree day temps.

Also, I never saw any more powder but thanks for all the advice.

I plan on moving some of the more developed root ball plants to 5 gal pails this weekend. The Fox soil you mention, is that an online only thing or will Wallyworld/homedepot/lowes/farm supply have it?

That chart makes me think I need to up my humidity, it's at 40% with 77degree day temps.
In flower you run a bit lower RH due to the possibility of bud rot. I’m sure there are other reasons, but that’s been my understanding.
The folks that argue with the chart say that that it’s referring to the leaf temperature. I’m sure that’s correct, but any common sensual person would know to deviate from the chart accordingly if you are taking an ambient temperature reading.
If you want to be very accurate, you’ll need to get a laser thermometer. I think there’s enough wiggle room to go without though. At least in my case there is.
You should be good around 50-60%. Let the temp drop 10F if you can at night. It makes them do some really neat things. Fall colors come out, and I personally believe it pushes out more trics.
Rumors say that they go into a “finishing” or “protective” state, causing them to explode.
A week before I planned to harvest, I let them dry out almost like I do in veg. (Veg and Flower watering techniques differ), then I do a full watering, but with my last grow, instead of letting them go back into the lights, I held them in the dark. 1 for 24 hours, 1 for 48 hours, 72 hours, and another 96.
Without a doubt, 48-72 hours in the dark before harvest, your buds will develop so many more trics, and will be noticeably stickier.
I harvested 6 total this last run. 2 strains without the dark, and the same strains (sister clones) held over in the dark.
The AK that I held over looked like someone hit it with a clear coat. Craziest buds I’ve ever seen.

I’ll stop now....doobie got me rambling. Lol!
:lot-o-toke:

Well all I'm going off of right now is ambient air temp. Daytime is 75 and a night time low of 59. I'll turn on my other box fan for more air flow too.

In flower you run a bit lower RH due to the possibility of bud rot. I’m sure there are other reasons, but that’s been my understanding.
The folks that argue with the chart say that that it’s referring to the leaf temperature. I’m sure that’s correct, but any common sensual person would know to deviate from the chart accordingly if you are taking an ambient temperature reading.
If you want to be very accurate, you’ll need to get a laser thermometer. I think there’s enough wiggle room to go without though. At least in my case there is.
You should be good around 50-60%. Let the temp drop 10F if you can at night. It makes them do some really neat things. Fall colors come out, and I personally believe it pushes out more trics.
Rumors say that they go into a “finishing” or “protective” state, causing them to explode.
A week before I planned to harvest, I let them dry out almost like I do in veg. (Veg and Flower watering techniques differ), then I do a full watering, but with my last grow, instead of letting them go back into the lights, I held them in the dark. 1 for 24 hours, 1 for 48 hours, 72 hours, and another 96.
Without a doubt, 48-72 hours in the dark before harvest, your buds will develop so many more trics, and will be noticeably stickier.
I harvested 6 total this last run. 2 strains without the dark, and the same strains (sister clones) held over in the dark.
The AK that I held over looked like someone hit it with a clear coat. Craziest buds I’ve ever seen.

I’ll stop now....doobie got me rambling. Lol!
:lot-o-toke:

a big noticeable difference, isn't it? Let people know... lets move this out of myth territory and into the light (so to speak)
Pineapple Chunk Mega Crop Test - Grow Journal

a big noticeable difference, isn't it? Let people know... lets move this out of myth territory and into the light (so to speak)
Jack Herer held over for 48hr in the dark.
F95B79A0-F701-4A72-A6E5-E1E962B35DA0.jpeg
21AF10B5-BE08-403E-AB15-50EA6E683430.jpeg

Ak held over for 72hr in the dark (Cured)
14325AE2-6B08-40A8-8D68-04CD8F988A98.jpeg

No question in my mind that it works as reported.

From my observations, the dark period before harvest results in the root system starting to die due to lack of transpiration. This has the effect of signaling the plant that its time is up. It’s best if the medium is allowed to dry significantly before the dark period. Otherwise, root rot can set in - possibly giving a musty taint.

Also, volatile terpenes produced in the dark are not boiled off by intense light.

From my observations, the dark period before harvest results in the root system starting to die due to lack of transpiration. This has the effect of signaling the plant that its time is up. It’s best if the medium is allowed to dry significantly before the dark period. Otherwise, root rot can set in - possibly giving a musty taint.

Also, volatile terpenes produced in the dark are not boiled off by intense light.
You brought up a very interesting fine point, and one that I am going to agree with. I have been doing the opposite, and I tend to time it for a watering day to set them in the dark. I have noted the musty smell afterward and too much humidity in the death tent but failed to notice that this was due to a lack of water use or realize that in the dark, transpiration would have to slow way down. I am going to make sure to have them almost ready to be watered this next time... not quite wilting yet, but knowing it would have surely started happening during the extended dark period if there had been light.

awesome side by side. Thanks for the effort! did you feed during the dark period?

awesome side by side. Thanks for the effort! did you feed during the dark period?
I did not. I let them get fairly dry, then give them a final watering before I pulled them out. They don’t use it up within the 36-72 hour time frame.

Back
Top Bottom