First time grower - Outdoor - Harvest status opinions please

It's supposed to rain Sunday (4 days) /fingers crossed, and thinking I'll harvest Monday morning, at least one of the three Vanilla Kush plants, if not more. Just checking in with how this all looks to you. To me, it looks like 5 days from now won't be too early from all I've learned here. The buds are nicely swelled, pistols mostly red, very sticky and pungent.

On September 9th I started this thread and most thought by what you could tell, I had 2-3 weeks to go. This Monday would make it 3 weeks, 2 days, so thinking you guys were spot on. What you think?

This is the Vanilla Kush Bud shot from 9-9-2016
VanillaKush_bud_9_9_2016.jpg

Vanilla Kush Bud "Today" 9-28-2016
VK_Bud1.JPG

Zafu

Hey Zafu,

I'm commenting per your invitation via PM
Definite Botyritis on that one. Ditch that top cola, wash the rest in an H2O2 solution of 30% peroxide, 70% water. (3% peroxide)

Also checking out the rest of the pics. It's hard to tell if it's all botyritis (bud rot) or a combination of bud rot, PM and insect damage.

At this point, I'd harvest pronto before it gets worse, and toss the damaged colas. You might be able to salvage part of them, but if you take the parts close to the bud rot, it could rot in the jar.

Please review the budwashing thread. First few pages will do.

Peroxide
lemon/soda
ro
ro

4 bucket wash.

Also checking out the rest of the pics. It's hard to tell if it's all botyritis (bud rot) or a combination of bud rot, PM and insect damage.

At this point, I'd harvest pronto before it gets worse, and toss the damaged colas. You might be able to salvage part of them, but if you take the parts close to the bud rot, it could rot in the jar.

Please review the budwashing thread. First few pages will do.

Peroxide
lemon/soda
ro
ro

4 bucket wash.

Doc Bud,

Thank you for helping me out.

I have 3% Peroxide. How much of that do I add to the 5 gallons of water? Then in next bucket I'll have lemon juice & Baking soda (which do I put in first again to reduce the reaction? I forget.) Then I'll have two buckets of rinse.

When you say to remove the top cola, I'm assuming you mean the one that that leaf was attached to. Correct?

I can't for the life of me find the original Cola in that picture you are referencing but can certainly ditch any that look questionable.

This is heartbreaking. It's weird because the buds themselves and like 99% of the 3-Vanilla Kush plants look great. On the other end I saw one small leaf that could also be PM, but like the first pics, it's the only leaf on the tree that looks like this. Pic below.

Leaf78.jpg

Thank you for your guidance.

Zafu

Wow, that's ironic. As I'm trying to show how 99% of the plant looks yummy, I catch what is likely that bud I said I couldn't find. You were right of course. I took that cola off and there was rot towards the top but bottom 75% of that cola bud looked healthy so washed and hung it up. I'm learning a ton and sure I'll be able to identify any other rot while I harvest.

Can you please take a look at my questions in the post above that last one ?

Thank you again, so much.

Zafu

Wow, that's ironic. As I'm trying to show how 99% of the plant looks yummy, I catch what is likely that bud I said I couldn't find. You were right of course. I took that cola off and there was rot towards the top but bottom 75% of that cola bud looked healthy so washed and hung it up. I'm learning a ton and sure I'll be able to identify any other rot while I harvest.

Can you please take a look at my questions in the post above that last one ?

Thank you again, so much.

Zafu

The rest of the plant does look really excellent! Nice job.

Outdoor growing isn't without it's own challenges and problems for sure. There's only 3 types of outdoor growers: those who have bud rot, those who are about to have bud rot, and the damn fools who lie about it.

If your question is regarding the peroxide and washing process, I answered that one post above the one you're talking about. Make a 30% solution with 3% peroxide and water. So, if you're going to use 5 gallons of water, you'll want 1.66 gallons of peroxide and the rest water.

For lemon juice and baking soda: 1/2 cup of each in the 5 gallon bucket. Stir the soda in first, add the lemon juice right before you start washing buds.

I'd like them to dry sooner, rather than later....but don't rush them. See if you can't dry them in 5 days.

Thanks Doc and all who've pitched in.

While this sucks, I'm thrilled it was caught and I've learned a lot, which I'm sure will only make me a better grower.

This entire process has been a trip and looking forward to this next stage of harvesting, drying and curing. And then of course, the stage after that, when my family and I can enjoy the bounties of all this effort.

Peace,

Zafu

Outdoor growing isn't without it's own challenges and problems for sure. There's only 3 types of outdoor growers: those who have bud rot, those who are about to have bud rot, and the damn fools who lie about it.

If your question is regarding the peroxide and washing process, I answered that one post above the one you're talking about. Make a 30% solution with 3% peroxide and water. So, if you're going to use 5 gallons of water, you'll want 1.66 gallons of peroxide and the rest water.

For lemon juice and baking soda: 1/2 cup of each in the 5 gallon bucket. Stir the soda in first, add the lemon juice right before you start washing buds.

I'd like them to dry sooner, rather than later....but don't rush them. See if you can't dry them in 5 days.

Doc it depends what we grow. There are plants that never catch bud rot if they grow in good environment with well adjusted soil. Outdoor it really depends how much Afghan/HinduKush genes these plant have. The more the risk grows exponentially. In humid climates you have to have at least 30% of sativa genes, there's no way around it. Now NorCal I think is slightly more humid than Central and SoCal, so you should mix your genetics smarter, but even there I'm sure you can find some very immune local cultivars.

Zafu, I'd look for Trainwreck and its crosses locally or maybe some nice Skunks like Orange Bud, Cali-O if you like more clearheaded strains. Maybe grab something from Sour Diesel family or some of these Jesus OGs :laughtwo:

With indicas you're gonna have to pick some old school stuff or something bred with quick flowering in mind. Mendo Purple might be good maybe or Purple Kush or Petrolia Headstash... also I remember brightlight rambling about Sensi Star, she's supposed to grow very well in NorCal :Namaste:

Doc it depends what we grow. There are plants that never catch bud rot if they grow in good environment with well adjusted soil. Outdoor it really depends how much Afghan/HinduKush genes these plant have. The more the risk grows exponentially. In humid climates you have to have at least 30% of sativa genes, there's no way around it. Now NorCal I think is slightly more humid than Central and SoCal, so you should mix your genetics smarter, but even there I'm sure you can find some very immune local cultivars.

Zafu, I'd look for Trainwreck and its crosses locally or maybe some nice Skunks like Orange Bud, Cali-O if you like more clearheaded strains. Maybe grab something from Sour Diesel family or some of these Jesus OGs :laughtwo:

With indicas you're gonna have to pick some old school stuff or something bred with quick flowering in mind. Mendo Purple might be good maybe or Petrolia Headstash... also I remember brightlight coming back to Sensi Star, which is supposed to grow very well in NorCal.

Conradino23 - That's some awesome advise and thank you again for first identifying the PM.

I couldn't get it together fast enough to harvest today, so will have to wait until tomorrow morning. I still need to hang lines in the garage and setup the humidifier and air purifier. Also need to pick up a lot more peroxide as I didn't realize the mix of that 3% was 1/3 to 2/3 water.

Checked the plants thoroughly and have removed any questionable matter. It appears the amount of PM is limited and hasn't spread to the other species. Perhaps they are naturally more resistant (Acapulco Gold & Laughing Buddha).

Hopefully waiting one more day won't be an issue. As I'll be harvesting all three tomorrow (which is not what I planned), I do need to be prepared. Relative humidity today is 23% with a high of 75 degrees F.

Have a terrific day.

Zafu

also I remember brightlight rambling about Sensi Star, she's supposed to grow very well in NorCal :Namaste:

:rofl: I'm old enough where rambling happens a lot. Thanks brother you gave me a big laugh. Sensistar loves outdoors in NorCal. Big plants for indica. Would be great choice if you like the strain. In my top 5 since trying her & she's still there. :Namaste:

I couldn't get it together fast enough to harvest today, so will have to wait until tomorrow morning. I still need to hang lines in the garage and setup the humidifier and air purifier. Also need to pick up a lot more peroxide as I didn't realize the mix of that 3% was 1/3 to 2/3 water.
In the future grab yourself some 35% H2O2 and when you mix you can use 11 times less. In a 5 gallon bucket I usually fill it with 4 gallons or 15 liters. With 3% you would need 4500 ml or 4.8 quarts, where with 35% you would only need 409 ml or 1.7 cups. Just use proper handling precautions with that stuff.

@brightlight - Will absolutely check that breed out as I'll be planning for next years grow very soon.

@HemiSync - I would consider that but as luck would have it, went to whole foods today for groceries and found "food grade H2O2". That wasn't even in my head but was really happy to discover it. it's 3%; not cheap, at least not at whole foods, but well worth it to me personally. Just hope my one 5 gallon buckets with H2O2 is enough for all three plants. I'd think it should be. Anyone know?

Unless I missed it, I don't recall food grade H2O2 being mentioned in the bud washing thread. Money aside for a moment, it sure seems like the preferred way to go.

Peace,

Zafu

I don't think it really matters as long as the only active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide and the inactive is only water there should be no problem. H2O2 is H2O2.

I don't think it really matters as long as the only active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide and the inactive is only water there should be no problem. H2O2 is H2O2.

Hi HemiSync - I don't believe that's true. I'll be posting this on the bud washing thread now as well. It appears the difference is that on the brown bottle, or one meant solely for topical use, regulations do not require it list all ingredients. Some of those ingredients not listed are toxic, consisting of heavy metals. Check out this video created by the manufacturer of the product I selected. The cost of 1.5 gallons if this stuff, which is whats needed in a 5 gallon tub I use, is about $75. In the scheme of things, I consider it a bargain when it's only adding to the cleaning and sterilization of the product with no potential metals or toxic stabilizers being introduced. I never intended to even use H2O2 unless I had some PM, which I do, but after learning about the food quality H2O2, I am thinking of using it regardless.

Note: In video says only two sizes, but that's wrong. There's also a 32 ounce bottle.
[video=youtube;BrODKapEp7c]
[/video]

@DankestBuds42 - Thank you so much and for giving me a positive attitude towards this small PM situation. You're right, it is rather limited and thinking we caught it just in-time. This first grow has really been a labor of love, which I'm sure you all relate to. I'm going to take my entire documentation and translate to a journal when I have time, to give back to this incredible community in hopes it can help others.

Well, off to bed. Read the best time to harvest is break of dawn; as that's supposed to be when Turpenes are in highest concentration. So plan to get up 5:30am, relax for 30 minutes and have coffee, then begin harvesting my three Vanilla Kush. Garage all ready with lines, air purification and humidifier. Cleaned it out nicely. Outside all setup for my wash with 4-buckets H2O2/water, Lemon Juice-Baking Soda/Water, Rinse, Rinse with lines out there to hang for initial drip off before garage. Will take some pics.

Darn, feels like Xmas Eve :xmas:

Namaste,

Zafu

Hi HemiSync - I don't believe that's true. I'll be posting this on the bud washing thread now as well. It appears the difference is that on the brown bottle, or one meant solely for topical use, regulations do not require it list all ingredients. Some of those ingredients not listed are toxic, consisting of heavy metals. Check out this video created by the manufacturer of the product I selected. The cost of 1.5 gallons if this stuff, which is whats needed in a 5 gallon tub I use, is about $75. In the scheme of things, I consider it a bargain when it's only adding to the cleaning and sterilization of the product with no potential metals or toxic stabilizers being introduced. I never intended to even use H2O2 unless I had some PM, which I do, but after learning about the food quality H2O2, I am thinking of using it regardless.

Note: In video says only two sizes, but that's wrong. There's also a 32 ounce bottle.
Thanks for that info. I had not known that before about 3% hydrogen peroxide. Without even realizing it I purchased the correct kind when I purchased mine last year. Of course, mine is the 35% H2O2 and you do have to use some precautions, but it is food safe.

Good luck with the harvest!

Back
Top Bottom