First time grower

Backwoods Bob

So a few months ago a friend of mine dropped off several spindly dying 4 inch tall plants in red solo cups. He asked if I could save them in my greenhouse. I took them in and kinda did some research and now as winter is coming here in Canada is getting cold. The plants have done very well but the fan leaves are starting to go really yellow. I am not adding fertilizer at this stage anymore. Is this normal? Is it the cold? I am unsure and Google has way to many opinions. Thanks a bunch and happy smokin.

Attachments

• 20201011_112640.jpg
    20201011_112640.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20201011_112633.jpg
    20201011_112633.jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20201011_112622.jpg
    20201011_112622.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20201011_112618.jpg
    20201011_112618.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201011_112608.jpg
    20201011_112608.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201011_112603.jpg
    20201011_112603.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 20201011_112557.jpg
    20201011_112557.jpg
    968.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201011_112550.jpg
    20201011_112550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Plant will use the energy in the leaves to help with sugar production.The same way the maple leaves die and turn red-yellow is when they make the maple syrup.Depending on condition some MJ plants leaves will die at different rates ,some will stay relatively greenish.

Howdy Bob and :welcome: to 420mag!

Not sure what size pots they're in or what kind of fertilizer you were using, but I would feed straight through harvest. Yellowing from the bottom up is a classic sign of nitrogen deficiency.

Those are some nice looking plants so I hope the weather holds until they're ripe!
I am using 5 gallon pails full of holes. And I am using a 2 stage fertilizer. One for growing and one for flowering. They are a hydroponics fertilizer but it really seems to work with the soil to.

5 gallons is getting tight on plants that size, so they may show more deficiencies than the same plant in a bigger pot.

Also something to keep in mind, I've read that using nutes designed for hydro in soil would mean you need to use more of it:
When I switched back to soil from hydro, I had to use almost double strength hydro nutes in soil

Either way, I'd say now is not the time to starve the plant and have it need to pull mobile nutes from the fan leaves. Feed it so it can work at building buds!

So a few months ago a friend of mine dropped off several spindly dying 4 inch tall plants in red solo cups. He asked if I could save them in my greenhouse. I took them in and kinda did some research and now as winter is coming here in Canada is getting cold. The plants have done very well but the fan leaves are starting to go really yellow. I am not adding fertilizer at this stage anymore. Is this normal? Is it the cold? I am unsure and Google has way to many opinions. Thanks a bunch and happy smokin.

Lol Google you have to ask the right questions.

What you are seeing is whats called Senescence. The process of those fan leaves giving back the nutrients stored in the leaves.

There's a sort of valve where the petiole meets the stem. When the fan leaves are mature that valve closes off the flow of nutrients going INTO the leaf and then the leaf chlorophyll starts to break down. The break down of chlorophyll (the green part) the leaf will turn yellow/red/purple/black depending on genetics and eventually the fan leaf once all the nutrients are taken back into the plant the fan leaf will FALL off. Same thing is happening with trees right now.

The valve at the petiole is the Abscission layer.

The Abscission layer creates a sort of scab to protect the plant from pest and disease and why we let those leaves fall of naturally.

So google Abisission and leaf senescence. Interesting reading

Suggest just water extra right now as the flowers are forming and the plant gets very thirsty. I sometimes water 2x a day at this stage. At some point the plants will stop drinking and you will smell a difference.

Thats when its time to harvest and when all the work begins. lol

Good luck you're doing GREAT. Nice green house too! Very Very helpful as the rainy season sets in, outdoors gets a bit tricky.

5 gallons is getting tight on plants that size, so they may show more deficiencies than the same plant in a bigger pot.

Also something to keep in mind, I've read that using nutes designed for hydro in soil would mean you need to use more of it:

Either way, I'd say now is not the time to starve the plant and have it need to pull mobile nutes from the fan leaves. Feed it so it can work at building buds!
:rofl: :rofl: You know you're a stoner when :rofl::rofl: someone quotes your post on the wrong thread :rofl::rofl:

Lol Google you have to ask the right questions.

What you are seeing is whats called Senescence. The process of those fan leaves giving back the nutrients stored in the leaves.

There's a sort of valve where the petiole meets the stem. When the fan leaves are mature that valve closes off the flow of nutrients going INTO the leaf and then the leaf chlorophyll starts to break down. The break down of chlorophyll (the green part) the leaf will turn yellow/red/purple/black depending on genetics and eventually the fan leaf once all the nutrients are taken back into the plant the fan leaf will FALL off. Same thing is happening with trees right now.

The valve at the petiole is the Abscission layer.

The Abscission layer creates a sort of scab to protect the plant from pest and disease and why we let those leaves fall of naturally.

So google Abisission and leaf senescence. Interesting reading

Suggest just water extra right now as the flowers are forming and the plant gets very thirsty. I sometimes water 2x a day at this stage. At some point the plants will stop drinking and you will smell a difference.

Thats when its time to harvest and when all the work begins. lol

Good luck you're doing GREAT. Nice green house too! Very Very helpful as the rainy season sets in, outdoors gets a bit tricky.
Wow :thedoubletake: you musta made straight A's in school :thumb:
I quoted your post into this thread because it applied here as well!
:passitleft:Ahh, I see now :high-five:

I agree but room was right when I transplanted them into pails. One went into a 25 gallon bottom of a whiskey drum. It was an auto that finished a month ago and was massive. I ended up with almost a half pound of quality bud and 5 grams of iso oil. The pot size definately effected the pot size.

Just started smoking some stuff I cured 3 week and I am quite suprised and happy with the quality. Pictured is the cola. Cured it by itself.

Attachments

• 16025502456888281433040291641124.jpg
    16025502456888281433040291641124.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 16025502978956207492782717908408.jpg
    16025502978956207492782717908408.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 36
I'd say they outgrew them, which is a sign of good health!

I still have the first top cola I ever harvested in a jar by itself! It's over three years old now. :eek:
While writing that message I was in the middle of a joint. I was trying to say room was tight not right. I didn't have room for that many big pots.

Later fall days, the less natural light is going to force it into finishing up fast, on top of pulling those "mobile" stored flower ingredients already made, the fade is on. You could probably stop it or slow it down with auxiliary lighting so it gets at least 12 good hours of intense light not that slow morning/evening twilight creeping light the Northern hemisphere is getting now. If you double up those hydro nutes make sure you check the PH to be sure you're not inducing a lockout by going to low. Nice looking girls though, nice flowers in the jar too. Nice to meet you and GG

Back
Top Bottom