VEG

If in Veg... For how long?
10 DAYS

Indoor or outdoor?
INDOOR

Soil or Hydro?
HYPONEX SOIL

If soil... what is in your mix?
PEAT, SAND, AND PERLITE (DONT KNOW THE PERCENTAGES)

If soil... What size pot?
RED PARTY CUPS FOR SEEDLINGS PLANNING ON TRANSPLANTING INTO A 5GAL. ROOT POUCH

Size of light?
150W HPS

Is it aircooled?
2 FANS BLOWING

Temp of Room/cab?
80-85

RH of Room/cab?
40-50

PH of media or res?
IDK

Any Pests ?
NOPE

How often are you watering?
EVERY 3 DAYS

Type and strength of ferts used?
HUMBOLDT ONENESS (5-9-4)

ALL GIRLS ARE 10-11 DAYS OLD. HAVEN'T GIVEN THEM ANY NUTES YET...JUST WATER.

ANY ADVICE AND TIPS ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I'VE TRIED ONCE BEFORE BUT I KILLED THE PLANTS DUE TO NUTE BURN AND HOT TEMPS. SO HOPEFULLY THIS GROW WILL BE DIFFERENT.

woman
woman.jpg

stripper....she's kind of burnt
stripper.jpg

strange
strange2.jpg

medusa
medusa.jpg

flo
flo8.jpg

Re: First Timer! 150w HPS...Bagseed

Sad news:

3 of the plants got burned up pretty badly. I moved the light up higher and see how they would come back after the shock. I didn't even take pictures of them, but I didn't kill them off just yet. Since I don't have that many.

So here's medusa and woman. Woman actually looks great.

woman_4-1_2_.jpg

woman_4-1.jpg

and here's medusa a lil' burnt. but still producing...

stripper_4-1_2_.jpg

stripper_4-1.jpg

Any advice on how to bring the burnt plants back to life? A lil' nutes, maybe?

Also I plan on selling the 150w HPS grow light and getting (3) 42w CFLs. I would probably have a lot more healthy plants than just two right about now. And maybe even a completed grow.

Your gonna have to transplant soon, I personally never start like that cause I dont wanna shock or stress the plant when I transplant it. Keep the light like about the length of your hand away from the plan, make sure your plants stay healthy form this point on if you want to keep them, they still will look the same with the burnt tips but they will continue to grow. So if they continue to grow but tips still burnt its fine if the plant didnt get rid of it by itself it doesnt need to be gone. You will want some reflective material to bounce the light off to hit lower points of plant. Dont be discouraged man I have had some pretty bad beginnings and finished strong, dont over water or nutrients and have faith man. Read about topics like alot more in depth so you know exactly cause you wasted money on a hps light so research and do it again.

I am going to stick my neck out there and point out a few things that can be improved.

BAD soil... Not enough drainage cut with perlite at least 20%
Get soil levels up within 1" or less of top rim. Ventilation

Your light is fine, you expectations of it is wrong. Look at myGrowBox thread and see what can be grown in a box with a 150w. The biggest concern is penetration of light vs how tall you can grow effectively. I would add the CFL as supplemental light. The HPS is a great spectrum for flowering, and does a decent job in veg.

Make sure you have ventilation for your seedlings, a small gentle fan is fine. Preferably bounce it off the wall so it is gentle.

Please tell us more about your cabinet...
Pictures are worth a thousand words, we love pics here. Can we see the whole sHeBang in a pic perhaps? It would be nice to see your lighting setup as well as ventilation/fans and more if can. The more you share the better we can help.

As for you pot size it may be too large for the conditions unless you can expand and adapt your lighting requirements as it grows. As well as the physical space. If you are not already aware, the plant will at least double in size when it goes to flower. I grow all the time in 2.5 gal size and smaller. My plants range from 20"-26" in height usually. Some get to 34" or so. Can you handle the vertical growth?

:welcome: to :420:, the place to learn to grow

Thanks for the advice.

Grow room pics will be coming here in a bit!

I do have to admit I'm using sucky soil. When I water, it just looks like mud. And when it's dry it hardens up. I squeeze the cups to loosen and break down the soil. When I transplant I will be using "Just Right Xtra Soil" or "Fox Farm Ocean Forest" Also I plan on buying these 3 or 5gal root pouches to finish my grow.

I have 2 seedlings that just sprouted also.

2005.jpg

^^^right above is another fan. it has an exhaust and intake option. and also the temp of what you want you room to be. and a hi and low mode FANCY...lol. Right now it's on intake HI

and another question. do you see that hawaiin punch 1gal jug in the background? would that be cool to do one of my transplants in? Planning on putting black tape around it so the roots won't see any daylight

grow_room_110.jpg

Here's pics of the grow room. Sorry for the delay

everything looks fine dude,put your light a little closer cause one of your seedlings is stretching(when it isnt getting enough light it grows really big to find light) but your set up looks nice. like he said a cfl for support cause youll need that big light for the amount you have but youre doing a good job. DONT over water or nutrient. happy growing.

and another question. do you see that hawaiin punch 1gal jug in the background? would that be cool to do one of my transplants in? Planning on putting black tape around it so the roots won't see any daylight

Instead of buying a cfl buy some real pots, there is nothing wrong with using that Hawaiian punch container if youre a little more experienced. But so you dont mess your stuff up get some real pots man.

thanks man.

just purchased some schultz potting soil; premium. planning on transplanting woman tomorrow.

UPDATE:

REPLANTED WOMAN WITH SCHULTZ POTTING SOIL PREMIUM INTO A 11in. SELF WATERING POT. BIG ENOUGH? I TRIED TO LOOK UP AN INCH INTO GALLON CONVERTER, BUT NO LUCK.

woman_repotted2.jpg

Another shot
2_15.jpg

A DAY OR SO LATER

Woman on day 22
woman_day_22_2_.jpg

Added (3) 42w CFLs @ 2800lumens each
-2 daylight
-1 warm light
woman_day_22.jpg

The others that are just coming along
the_others.jpg

THINKING ABOUT GIVING WOMAN ANOTHER WATER AND THEN ADDING SOME NUTES AFTER THAT.

those pots should be fine for now but REMEMBER if u only put 8 inches of soil in an 11 inch pot your gonna get poor ventilation, and not to mention you won't get full potential out of that pot. the lights need to be closer. stick those little lenky sprouts in the pot with you other baby. (leave then in their own pots just put them close to the light. they are trying to stretch to the light and your gonna find yourself having to support it in its growth. hope this help :Namaste:

No. They're not autos. I'm planning on growing a lot of them though. I'm just experimenting and seeing how these grow before i plan on ordering any. I ordered Pineapple Express and Little Cheese before. They sprouted and everything, but my room got too hot, and I came home from work and they were burnt to death.... that's why I purchased the new CFLs, because that HPS light gets too hot, and i have no vents in my closet. and I can't be drilling holes or having long vents come out my bedroom window. So I'll just use it for flowering.

And about the pot. If it gets too big for it. I plan on purchasing a couple of 5gal root pouches here in a couple of days anyways. So no sweat, just wanted her to get out of that party cup and into some good soil finally. And she looks happy now.

Update in a couple of days.

UPDATE...
Added a 23w warm light bulb...the more lumens the better!!!
new_light4.jpg

Repotted "Kesha" into a party cup with the new schultz soil. And she's doing A OK!!!
kesha_on_4-91.jpg

Here's another one of my babies. Haven't decided on a name so i just put "IDK"
idk_on_4-91.jpg

And here's the biggest of them all..."WOMAN"
woman_on_4-9.jpg

I gave her a real small dosage of nutes the other day and her bottom leaf started to curl and dry up....

nute_problem.jpg

THAT'S ALL FOR NOW!!!

A couple of 3gal root pouches and some new soil. I want to try out this new soil that my local hydroponic store has. Here's the info they give on it....

When the concept of mixing a product for our industry came into focus- we decided not to utilize peat moss because we did not want sphagnum impurities. Nor did we want inconstant results. - We were wary of our clients having to risk their crop growth performance due to widely ranging nutrient ratios in their soil mixes. Nor did we want our clients to experience any increase in the potential risk of dormant pests becoming active. Just Right Xtra was developed micro-bio-logically.

Through extensive microscopic exploration and the development of micro and macro porosity; which is conducive to healthy beneficial bacteria, and fungi; Just Right ensures the delivery of available nutrition to your plants. We've gone well beyond the basic delivery of the traditionally, considered, essential, 19 major, minor, and micro elements found in most plant nutrient regimes. We deliver you biodiversity and consider the importance of the 10s of thousands of biological species that our found naturally in pristine soil ecologies. Health-fully, functioning, soils have sponsor a symbiotic relationship with their photosynthesizing or solar energy gathering green plant partners; which are anchored by living roots in their respective, rhizospheres. Together they harmonize and become one in a tonic balance with Nature. It's important to get it Just Right! Our pitch fork is your tuning fork!

Now--here is the real truth about gardening with our microbial-ly diverse, sustainable, Just Right Xtra soil mix.

"Bags of Biology™"

1st -we use a Cocotek coconut coir, high quality, low sodium, media. This coir is the backbone to our more diverse and less compacted mix, allowing textural uniformity. Allowing Just Right to tailor make finer or coarser, fiber consistencies. This composite mix consists of millions of capillary micro-sponges per unit volume, that absorbs up to eight times the mixes oven dried weight in water. Our mix has a natural affinity to hold a 3 : 7 air to water stoichiometric ratio. Which assures you that Just Right will hold plant nutrition naturally until the microporosity releases oxygenated nutrient solution over extended periods allowing reduced watering frequency.
2nd we add Ancient Biology from Ancient Forest Alaskan Humus which is an ultra-pure, ultra-organic "compilation" resulting from a very gradual collaboration between Mother Nature and Father Time. The unique and highly prized, Alaska Humus is the byproduct of patients and good fortune, resulting from nearly 10,000 years of post ice-age, real-time, decomposition performed by the life processes of vast numbers and species of microbes throughout Alaska's annual cycles of long, dark winters and extremely daylight-intensive summers. Because of its incredible microbiological diversity (an estimated 35,000 species of bacteria and 5000 species of fungi) -- unlike manufactured commercial compost -there is a guaranteed absence of any human pathogens, synthetic chemical impurities from foreign residues.
3rd Our Earth worm castings from Worm power here in Avon, NY. These are the best quality castings we have ever seen.
4th Diatomite (Diatomaceous Earth or "DE") is a sedimentary rock primarily composed of the fossilized remains of unicellular fresh water microbes known as Diatoms. Sedimentary stratification over the millennia has compressed the remnants of these diatoms. This aggregation creates one of the most effective growing media components, available. Diatomite consists of approximately 86% silica, 3% magnesium and 2% iron., with the remainder of its contents being mineral compounds; which are complementary to plant growth. All of these unique factors make Diatomite the definitive horticultural grade growing medium. High Silica Content - In nature, Silica is conducive to healthy plant and root development. Because Diatomite is 86% silica, your plants will receive a continual slow release of silica, assisting with the growth of healthier, more robust plants. Absorbency & Porosity - Diatomite is naturally very porous, and can hold 150% of its weight in water. The Silica Content, natural Absorbency, and Porous qualities result in a slow release of water and nutrients to your plants, contributing to higher yields and less watering frequency. Capillary Action & Lateral movement - The porosity of the Diatomite contributes to its ability to wick water. Diatomite causes water and its dissolved nutrients to move laterally throughout the medium, making Diatomite ideal for hydroponics. The media achieves an excellent air to water ratio in the pot. Proper aeration is a particularly important quality which helps gardeners avoid root rot. Silica stone can be used as a beneficial supplement to expanded clay, Rockwool, coco peat, and other mediums depending on the application.
Next Subculture M: a mycorhizae root inoculant that contains a wide diversity of endo and ecto mycorrhizal fungi that colonize plant roots. Subculture M allows for known beneficial fungi to find a place to reside around the root zones of plants.
Now Subculture B: is a probiotic inoculum of beneficial microorganisms that will help increase the vitality and yield in all plants. Microbes in Subculture B will attach themselves to root zones dramatically affecting plant performance in positive ways.

Natural Organic Sulfate of Potash is natural potash mineral contains 51 percent potash 18 percent sulfur. It also contains trace amounts of calcium and magnesium. Potassium is frequently the most abundant Major element in plant nutrition.

Organic Bone Char contains more than 16% available phosphate (P2O5) and 32% total phosphate.

Rare Earth: is derived from ancient seabed deposits of prophylactic clay that is blended with fulvate ore.

Our ph in this mix is 7.01 which are perfect to keep the bacteria and fungi from destroying or decomposing. There is no need for adjustment of your pH of any nutrient you add to this mix.

We suggest no nutrients for a couple weeks. When you wet this mix with dechlorinated water the runoff will be around 1300ppm which is hot and will aid in Germination of any seeds or cuttings.

We recommend use of the General Organics and the Flora blend Compost tea.

The feed chart for the new General Organics line should be followed after week 1 of just water.

Adjusting pH is not necessary with any nutrients - please use organics

good to hear! thought i had a problemo. thinking about fimming.....still doing some research on it.

UPDATE!!!

Woman seems to be very sensitive to heat. My room hasn't reached temps over 80 since i switched to the cfls. I guess the 23w bulb was too close to one of the leaves. Other than that. Everything seems to be doing ok. I just purchased a 10pk of 3gal grow bags for just $7.00!!!

Here's the nutes I'm going to start using.
It's 5-9-4 just in case you can't see it. It's a one-part feeding nute.
nutes38.jpg

Here's the biggest of them all....Woman just at a month.
See her burned leaves?
woman_side_4-14.jpg

woman_4-14.jpg

Here's the second biggest...kesha
Hoping she'll be ok in that party cup until next week when those grow bags arrive. She's growing pretty fast if you ask me. And she already has a smell

kesha_top_4-14.jpg

kesha_4-14.jpg

Last but not least...idk
idk_4-14.jpg

idk_top_4-14.jpg

And here they are all togethere with the lights.
even_on_4-14.jpg

Thanks!

I'm trying to hold back on the nutes until my pH scale comes in also. Hopefully woman won't start yellowing any times soon. And LST will also be done to woman here next week.

Back
Top Bottom