Flower room lighting

TreeHuffer

420 Member
I'm building a 4'x4' SOG 12 plant flower room with one month of offset between 6 packs.
Want to use LEDs for their economy and spectrum tuneablilty but I feel they lack the sheer lumen output and intensity to reach much beyond the canopy.
My idea to resolve my inner conflict is to use both. I'm thinking an AC 400 center mount and a LED over each 6 pack.
Hard part is alot of these vendors keep claiming these alleged "equal to" numbers.

Manufacturers that quote 'equivalent' numbers are selling you a pup generally
A 100 watt lamp can only emit 100w of light, PAR specific or not that is not equal to 600w HPS
I still go by 50w/sqft even with LEDs
A @MarsHydro TS2000 boasts an impressive performance for your space

For the approx $250 on that site named after a river for the TS 2000 can get Kw AC HPS and probably an inline blower too but I feel a few smaller sources are better than one giant.
Says its only 300w(I like they give a real #) so based on the 50w per square foot my 4x4 would need 3.

For the approx $250 on that site named after a river for the TS 2000 can get Kw AC HPS and probably an inline blower too but I feel a few smaller sources are better than one giant.
Says its only 300w(I like they give a real #) so based on the 50w per square foot my 4x4 would need 3.
Fair enough - heat, running costs, adjustable spectrum and dimming are factors for me
As it's virtually flat, it takes up barely any space too, so I don't lose any height

If only using the w/sq ft thinking then no matter what your still using the same power.
Difference would be based on efficiency and effectiveness of the light.

If only using the w/sq ft thinking then no matter what your still using the same power.
Difference would be based on efficiency and effectiveness of the light.
I agree, but 450w of LED with a PF of 98%+ and 100% PAR or so is far more effective than 450w of HPS - would you agree with that? I was happy with 250 MH + 400 HPS for years, but LEDs are just so damned good these days it is a no-brainer for me

If the LED is actually 450w then based on what I've researched it would be "equal" to about 700-900w hps, but not really.
I have no doubt LEDs can produce more usable per watt. My issues are really penatration beyond canopy.
In SOG depth is as important as coverage due to plants being closer

Overkill? - the 2000 will do 9sqft so two would be more than enough with an even coverage in a 4x4
I don't think so. Yes a TSW 2000 will cover 3x3 but you have to think of the shape and it's for a 4x4 space. Two positioned centrally would give awesome coverage on the most part but leave you with half a foot along 2 sides that wouldn't get great light. With the TSL 2000 or SP 3000 being more suited to 2x4 then two of those would give better coverage wall to wall.

That's just my thoughts on it though obviously. Other options could be 2 x ViparSpectra XS2000 or 2 x Atreum Vela 240. If I was running two staggered batches in a 4x4 I'd get 2 lights designed to flower a 2x4 area.

That's just my thoughts on it though obviously. Other options could be 2 x ViparSpectra XS2000 or 2 x Atreum Vela 240. If I was running two staggered batches in a 4x4 I'd get 2 lights designed to flower a 2x4 area.
The stagger is just flower stage. Vag done separately if at all post clone

Oops didn't mean to just repost ya
Well in theory one could rule them all.
Because of the stagger, I think two independent systems would give the height flexibility needed.

Back
Top Bottom