Flowering question

Smoke204

Hello all!

Currently I am in the beginning of week five into flower. This is my second attempt at growing my own medicine and so far everything appears to be going well. Originally I started off with two plants but one I damaged during transplanting and it never recovered, so I had to dispose of it, lesson learned. The strain is Grand Daddy Purple and is being grown mainline style. It has eight nice sized buds developing and I'm hoping everything will continue to go well.

My question is regarding the lower buds, would it cause stress to the plant if I were to remove them this late into the grow? I am being cautious because I'd hate to lose the plant this late into the grow. My main concern is if removing these lower buds would cause stress to the plant and cause it to hermie. All in all there are not a whole lot of little buds below the main buds but it was my understanding that lower buds take up some of the energy that would normally go into the main buds. I look forward to any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks.

week 5 is a bit late to get much benefit from removing them since there are only about 3 weeks left, and there is the chance of stressing her out. I would leave them at this point, if for no other reason than to see what develops from them and how far your lights actually penetrate.
Then, next time you will know exactly how far up to trim... before you get to flower.

Light penetration is fairly good, could probably be better without a few of the fan leaves but I admit I am reluctant to do that as well given how far along into flower the plant is. But you're right, the next time I'll have a better idea on how far up to trim before switching into flower. Thank you for the feed back.

Hi Smoke204,

Having not done so previously, Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members!

Would like to suggest as you get closer to harvest, you may find the trichome coloration on lower bud sites is not as advanced as those higher up on the plant. May wish to consider harvesting the top portion and allowing lower ones develop further. Staggered harvest concept.

Food for thought.

Be well and happy growing!

TanR, that thought did cross my mind to just harvest the top buds and let the lower ones have a little longer to develop. I'll have to check the trichomes after the coming flush and go from there. This is still a learning experience for me and so far I really enjoy it. The next grow I plan on mainlining again because it is so much easier feeding the plants instead of have to move a lot of foliage out of the way.

Brother, if you doing it right this hobby of ours is a lifetime learning experience. Understand re: the mainlining. It certainly has it's benefits.

Back
Top Bottom