Foxfarm soils

I'm not so stubborn that I can't be convinced that there are better ways of doing things.I just would like to know why you guys feel the way you do about these pricey soils.

They are pricey. I like the consistency of it and how well it drains. If I could find the raw materials like the ground up bark mulch its mostly made of I would make my own for sure. I had some trouble making my own soil the first time and decided I wanted to go for a sure thing so I went to FFOF and have been happy with it. I'm still learning so I wanted fewer variables in my second grow. As I progress and learn how to listen to the plants better I will venture out and make my own soil if it is cost effective. Til then I'll blow 40-60 bucks on dirt for my grows and worry about one less thing. :peace:

I like that some of the soils, like Roots Organic, or FoxFarm have everything you need, you can add a little here or there, but you don't need too, I agree with McBudz, they drain well also, and I only pay about 10 bucks for a 1.5 cubic foot bag, If I were to make my own soil I don't think I could make it for as cheap. Plus it cuts out hours of "playing in the mud".

Years ago I was using Black Gold, it was only about 4 bucks for a 1.5 cu.ft. bag and it did just fine, I've never done the side by side comparison, but I truly believe that spending a couple extra bucks on soil makes enough of a difference in final quality and yield that it is well worth the price.

Try picking up a bag for yourself and compare some plants side by side, who knows action1, you may blow this "expensive soil" thing out of the water and enlighten us all.

My preference would be for FF Ocean Forest as your question asks,> My preference is to mix it with 3cu ft of Pro Mix adding nothing in the initial stages except " Earth Juice Rootstock" to help promote some root stimulation>

IRIE, thnx for the heads up on the Tiger Bloom, it's my fav flowering nute these days but I might need to stop using it a few days earlier now. My finished bud always smokes well leaving perfect grey ash & zero chem/nute flavor. Maybe I'll give the FF Big Bloom a try as it is an organic fert. I have a quart of it on hand right now as it was cheaper for me to buy the three pack of FF nutes last time instead of just the two I mentioned above.

Piginslop, I use 2 cups (1~16oz cup) of granular dolomite lime, run through my grinder it reduces in size per bag of soil. Lime would be hard to over do & in fact McBudz uses twice as much as me and he has a neutral pH like I always do. Even when I water my plants with full strength nutes (Fox Farms) weeks on end my soil test at an even 7.

FF BB I started using after I noticed that Tiger left a different taste> I also add a tea mix of Neem Ferts, wood ash,Magnesiun,and Pure Rock Phosphate ( Pink Powder) to really kick it in on the middle of the flower cycles: 2 doses of this for the complete cycle added to FF BB and some occassional mulched Banana juice (53% Potassium) I stopped using liquid seaweed extract in flower and use it now in growth occasionally, as most the beds have a generous amount of pure Ocean Seaweed in them.

MG is bad for ganja. I use Fox Farm Ocean and don't fertilize at all after that. All plants are bigger and healthier then before I started using FF soil. It's been great!

Back
Top Bottom