Foxfarm soils

I don't usually say much in the forums, just come to look about. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is the best soil period. It does have enough nutes for the first 30 days & if you fertilize too soon before 30 days (like in the 1st/2nd week) you'll prolly put a slight nute burn on the tips on your leaves.

I add perlite (4 parts soil/1 part perlite) & just a bit more worm castings which is already in FFOF soil, both provide the proper airation needed for cannabis roots. I also add dolomite lime which I've only found in granular form so I use my old coffee grinder to powder it up, dolomite lime takes awhile to bond properly with the soil and so I usually have a batch of soil sitting with all of the above for 2-3 months before using just as I do now. btw you can buy worm castings at Wal-Mart for $2.68 for a ten pound bag, convenient. FF also makes two great liquid organic ferts for cannabis growth, 'Grow Big' for vegging (use after 30 days or risk the burn I mentioned) & then 'Tiger Bloom' for flowering. Both are just fantastic and should be tried at 1/4 strength at first and gradually increased according to what you see & feel is right.

I do tinker with some other products occasionally but I rely upon those mentioned above for what I consider a bullet proof product line, organic growing at its best. I stop my nutes only 4-5 days prior to harvest. btw do not mix any more FF liquid ferts than you'll use at each watering, they do not hold up in mixed form at all, mix & use only. And I start with fresh soil in my mix because it was last used for flowering & is far from that kind fresh FFOF early growth soil that I'd started with. $pare no small expense like fresh soil or fresh quality ferts considering the bottom line could be up to a 1/4 lb difference per plant. If you keep your FF liquid nutes in a dark cool cabinet they'll last up to two yrs but I like to use them up in one yr so I use them in my vegetable garden outside. I grow the biggest F'n tomatoes around, hehehehehe.

Hey Cinzanoooo, Neither Grow Big or Tiger Bloom are organic.... They have Grow big LITE which is organic but for hydro only.... The Big Bloom is the organic one....

I combine the Ocean Forest and the planting mix, I guess I figured that it gets enough ocean products throughout the grow. I add some other goodies to the soil too..

Alrighty thanks for all your input guys! So im going to be using ocean forest and as iv read i wont be using nutes for the first 30 days. I have the tripack of FF nutes. Tiger bloom, grow big, and big bloom. I was planning on following the schedule in the forums for FF nutes but i guess i should not use the schedule for the first 30 days? Or ill put some in and see if my plants get burned or not. Thanks for all the insight!

MG is a bad choice in my book, time release ferts are a no go with Cannabis plants. Organic soil from my local gardener is the way to go.

you can,t over do anything.

That's the thing, though. It is easy to overdo it with MG because of the time release nutes. If you decide you want to add nutes for your particular grow period (veg or flowering) it is extremely easy to cause nute burn.

I am very happy with my ocean forest grow. I did have to add pulverized dolomite to the soil as I found the ph was dropping a bit. Once I mixed the lime in my grow has been spot on. For some reason my plants were N hungry with big bloom and grow big so I switched over to Age Old Organics "Grow" 12-6-6 and my plants were very happy with that during veg. I am running tiger bloom for flowering and added grow big into the mix for week 3 and 4 as per fox farms soil feeding schedule.

If you are new to growing you don't want to be second guessing your soil or water supply. get the good soil, get an RO water filter. get a digital pH meter. You will be very happy you did, I was.

Alrighty thanks for all your input guys! So im going to be using ocean forest and as iv read i wont be using nutes for the first 30 days. I have the tripack of FF nutes. Tiger bloom, grow big, and big bloom. I was planning on following the schedule in the forums for FF nutes but i guess i should not use the schedule for the first 30 days? Or ill put some in and see if my plants get burned or not. Thanks for all the insight!

30 days is a long time start grow big nutes at week 2 quarter to half strength and work up from there. You can use big bloom low strength as soon as you have a full set of leaves since it is not very strong.

Hey Cinzanoooo, Neither Grow Big or Tiger Bloom are organic.... They have Grow big LITE which is organic but for hydro only.... The Big Bloom is the organic one....

I combine the Ocean Forest and the planting mix, I guess I figured that it gets enough ocean products throughout the grow. I add some other goodies to the soil too..

Big Bloom does say organic but it is not OMRI listed if you noticed. Not sure if its because they haven't reveiwed it yet or it did not meet their standard of organic.

I guess our buds cannot be certified under the USDA National Organic Program, damn.

OMRI-
The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a national nonprofit organization that determines which input products are allowed for use in organic production and processing. OMRI Listed–or approved–products may be used on operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program.
:peace:

I don't usually say much in the forums, just come to look about. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is the best soil period. It does have enough nutes for the first 30 days & if you fertilize too soon before 30 days (like in the 1st/2nd week) you'll prolly put a slight nute burn on the tips on your leaves.

I add perlite (4 parts soil/1 part perlite) & just a bit more worm castings which is already in FFOF soil, both provide the proper airation needed for cannabis roots. I also add dolomite lime which I've only found in granular form so I use my old coffee grinder to powder it up, dolomite lime takes awhile to bond properly with the soil and so I usually have a batch of soil sitting with all of the above for 2-3 months before using just as I do now. btw you can buy worm castings at Wal-Mart for $2.68 for a ten pound bag, convenient. FF also makes two great liquid organic ferts for cannabis growth, 'Grow Big' for vegging (use after 30 days or risk the burn I mentioned) & then 'Tiger Bloom' for flowering. Both are just fantastic and should be tried at 1/4 strength at first and gradually increased according to what you see & feel is right.

I do tinker with some other products occasionally but I rely upon those mentioned above for what I consider a bullet proof product line, organic growing at its best. I stop my nutes only 4-5 days prior to harvest. btw do not mix any more FF liquid ferts than you'll use at each watering, they do not hold up in mixed form at all, mix & use only. And I start with fresh soil in my mix because it was last used for flowering & is far from that kind fresh FFOF early growth soil that I'd started with. $pare no small expense like fresh soil or fresh quality ferts considering the bottom line could be up to a 1/4 lb difference per plant. If you keep your FF liquid nutes in a dark cool cabinet they'll last up to two yrs but I like to use them up in one yr so I use them in my vegetable garden outside. I grow the biggest F'n tomatoes around, hehehehehe.

How much lime would you add to a bag of soil?

Back
Top Bottom