Gator's Cage

That was my first grow with this PX. They all look pretty much like that.
My recent harvest is gone, and well recieved. It was 165g, from the meter tent with the bare 400. I hobbled the grow with a no count GWS that got in there, and gave me a big cola, but my GWS has brought me little respect. I didn't include it in the count. Also, one of the seven PXs was a wasted runt: 4.5g for the whole plant. I must have killed the roots with drought, early on. Tricky effing drip emiters, and lack of needed monitoring. For the healthies, just shy of one Z each. Not quite to my trial grow, but top shelf.
No zip-lock can hold a load of sweet stinking sticky PX nugs, without letting everyone know.

Some of my scissors
000_1500.JPG

000_1503.JPG

In the tent now, is eight PX @ 7 days. This is my favorite stage of growth, when they are exploding up and out,
and sexy hairs sprout everywhere.
Here's a set from three nights back, followed by real-time shots.
000_1508.JPG

000_1525.JPG

Shall we tell campfire stories, girls? ;)thanx b

With no white paint, my colors look washy. My eye likes it :)
000_1509.JPG

000_1518.JPG

000_1511.JPG

000_1516.JPG

I'd love to get a snootful of those PX buds ;).

Odor is not supposed to correlate to potency, but you know, I've never smoked a really stinky strain that didn't knock my socks off.

Also, the wild hemp I've run into (literally) has had very little smell to it.

Is that CMH light on your beautiful new set of ladies? They look really nice.

Odor is not supposed to correlate to potency, but you know, I've never smoked a really stinky strain that didn't knock my socks off.

I think that at least some of the terpines contribute to the potency in a positive way. Some of the stronger strains that I've had were stinky enough that if my nearest neighbor hadn't been ¼-mile away they'd have figured things out because I could smell them when I turned into the driveway.

But I don't think that they're an absolute requirement. I had one strain of Northern Lights about, IDK, 12 or 15 years ago that hardly smelled at all even when the heat got fierce and it was pretty outstanding.

So... You could call the terpine content a "contributing factor."

I once [and only once] had the misfortune of acquiring some beautiful 'Hawaiian' in '72 that was gorgeous, fragrent, sticky as all hell and NO THC!!!!!

None? Not just premature (or past prime and degraded) but actually lacking? I'd have wondered if the grower had regularly "harvested" it for hash or something. And I'd be a mite put out, lol.

Terpenes and terpenoids, [cannabinoids are terpenoids], are cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons [with other groups attached for the terpenoids, terpenes are pure hydrocarbons]

I'd thought the same but I read a while back somewhere that THC was technically an alcohol. Made me wonder. Glad to read the above.

which give the plants a competitive edge over those without such compounds assuming that they effectively deter feeding behavior in animals.

You know, thinking about it now... I'd wonder if the opposite is actually the case. My animals sure like to consume cannabis that is growing <ARGH!> (lol) and they don't mind the more fragrant varieties. And as far as animal behavior goes, it would seem advantageous for a plant to be consumed. Animals poop. Uncrushed seeds tend to survive the trip through animals, get shat out, and have a chance to sprout (with fertilizer handy if it's not still fresh and too "hot"). If that animal ranges far, the plant has a chance to spread. Even if its range is not great, it's still farther than the seed would go from just dropping. And cannabis seeds to not get carried on the wind. Animals, in this case, would have included primitive people that consumed the plants - maybe a cannabis plant that smelled like food (fruit?) would have a better chance to be consumed by our ancient ancestors.

But many of the good strains are highly fragrant, how this benefits the plants, if at all, is unknown, since this plant is not vector pollinated.

True - but animals can and do spread seed. Either cannabis evolved all across the planet... Or it evolved in one or just a few spots - which seems more likely - and was spread throughout the world by some agency. I'm guessing it was from consumption by animals.

that I grew was a perfect example; fragrant to the max [Alex Tremo], great taste, but a weak high, I can see why it has disappeared from the scene.

Having said all of this, dank and stanky ain't bad, just not, for medicinal purposes, necessary.

I understand and agree with you. BUT, if a plant is going to have a smell and taste, be it a mild one or a powerful one, I'd give consideration to the plant that had a pleasing taste and aroma over one that reminded one of... cat urine, for example. If something is rank, it wouldn't matter a great deal to me if it was potent and met my medical needs - for I'd not want to consume it. So while I'd not select for degree of scent, I would base part of my selection process on the type of scent.

However, yeah, if a strain did NOT meet my needs, it wouldn't matter how pleasing it was to the palate. There are plenty of choices to pick from and work with - and if I just want the place to smell, there's always incense, lol.

So for me they go hand in hand in many ways.

YMMV, of course.

You may note that my title has changed from "cannabis connoisseur" to "medical marijuana gardener".

I requested this change because I'm not a "cannabis connoisseur".

I'm a medical marijuana patient who would smoke nasty pipe scrapings if I had to in order to get relief for my back pain and allow me to focus instead of being scatter-brained.

While I can and very much do appreciate a fine aroma and taste, those aren't top priorities or why I partake of this herb.

Before I started growing again, I would occasionally use a delivery service. On one delivery, the dude walked in with a little knapsack and the entire house almost instantly reeked to a degree that made me think even the neighbors could smell it, lol.

He had several different strains with him, but the culprit was an oz of OG kush. I got a quarter because I just had to try something that declared its presence in that manner.

I had to keep it in my freezer, lol.

It tasted really good, and the buzz was also good, but not proportional to the stink.

The delivery dude told me that he knew the grower, and the grower had told him that there was no way to control the odor in bloom effectively. He had spent a bunch of money on filtration, but the OG kush just laughed ;).

After he left, I opened all the windows, and it still took about 2 hours for the house to air out.

Deterrent or attractant?

That seems to assume that different animals would be deterred or attracted by the same smell.

What's the weed's most universal enemy?

Maybe it's beneficial to stink in certain geographical locations but keep a lower profile in others?

These kinds of thoughts and questions are what make landrace strains so fascinating.

Nice campfire you've got going there Gator ;)
Well, thankyou Soniq and I'm happy to hear from you.
I sometimes muse that this is my mini Stonehenge, or a Mayan monument aligned with The Power.

Odor-control bags look like a neat solution for some, and a large bag might be custom made for others. Gallon size for couriers?

Stanky dank! If those fumes don't get me high, why does my head go so stupid when I trim? I sure don't smoke while I work; I want to last long enough to get 'er done.

Deterrent or attractant?
Perhaps a simple shout out: "Here it is, boys. Come and get it. Got something for ya!"
Other flowers call bees with perfume. Poison critters warn the foolish of danger with colors, noises, and/or noxious odors. Trichomes are a severe hazard to mite-sized sap-sucking bugs. Warning/attractor via turpenes?
Cannabis has a huge genome, plenty scope to adapt. Typical higher plants have a much larger genome than do we humans. They are masters of organic chemistry. Co-evolution, as with dogs, may be part of the survival and civilization of our species. And the world-wide success of cannabis.
I'd love to get a snootful of those PX buds ;)

Is that CMH light on your beautiful new set of ladies? They look really nice.
Everybody loves a snootful of PX but alas, I'm strain tolerant and am mostly back in the Pakistani jar. I wish that I hadn't killed the mom, but mea culpa. I've half-dozen new indica hybrids, and a thready sativa coming on-line. I'll find replacements.
I think that part of the 'potency' appeal of stinky weed is the anticipation; an olfactory mind-trick. Like the 'mission effect', for those who do business with 'da man' at his corner.

Yes indeedy, I too think they're pretty. They're exploding life in white light.
400 works fine in this 40" tent of mine. I'm hoping this time, I got it right.
They each stand alone, like Totems set in holes. "Plenty for all, girls. Don't fight".
Each with their slice of CMH light. They'll say "Thanks, Daddy", with pearls that delight.

Perhaps a simple shout out: "Here it is, boys. Come and get it. Got something for ya!"
Other flowers call bees with perfume. Poison critters warn the foolish of danger with colors, noises, and/or noxious odors. Trichomes are a severe hazard to mite-sized sap-sucking bugs. Warning/attractor via turpenes?
Cannabis has a huge genome, plenty scope to adapt. Typical higher plants have a much larger genome than do we humans. They are masters of organic chemistry. Co-evolution, as with dogs, may be part of the survival and civilization of our species. And the world-wide success of cannabis.

They are amazingly adaptable, and quite resilient, thank goodness ;).

Everybody loves a snootful of PX but alas, I'm strain tolerant and am mostly back in the Pakistani jar. I wish that I hadn't killed the mom, but mea culpa. I've half-dozen new indica hybrids, and a thready sativa coming on-line. I'll find replacements.

There should be board-and-care facilities for mother plants, where you pay a monthly fee based on space or number of moms, and then just go visit them periodically to take cuttings.

sounds like you got some nice new jeans there, Mr. Gator ;)

I think that part of the 'potency' appeal of stinky weed is the anticipation; an olfactory mind-trick. Like the 'mission effect', for those who do business with 'da man' at his corner.

yup

Yes indeedy, I too think they're pretty. They're exploding life in white light.
400 works fine in this 40" tent of mine. I'm hoping this time, I got it right.
They each stand alone, like Totems set in holes. "Plenty for all, girls. Don't fight".
Each with their slice of CMH light. They'll say "Thanks, Daddy", with pearls that delight.

:bravo: Mr. Gator ;)

Hey Gator! I've been searching all over and as usual I'm still confused... I'm thinking of getting a 150 or 250 cmh and wonder what the best places to look are.... I need a ballast too but I'm thinking vertical so I hopefully don't need any kind of hood. Thanks for any and all replies. :peace:

That's why I started the orphanage, but the door in is a one way door, kinda like a genetic black whole.... At the Ministry of Genetic Information, we will evaluate all donations and distribute according to need and merit. The source of my SLH/kush hybrid just got one of my LemonKushativa mothers [TheGifted1] this week, payment for his donation.
Gifted1_11_26.jpg

b

TheGifted1 looks like a very nice gift, or swap, as the case may be.

My new Sunset Kush moms would have nodes like that, but they were under weakish light for a while and stretched a bit.

The old moms are surviving out in my shed in very cold temps under a 250w CMH on 24/7. They're ready to flip, but it's too cold to give them 12hrs out there with lights out.

TheGifted1 has a beautiful stem.

Hey Gator! I've been searching all over and as usual I'm still confused... I'm thinking of getting a 150 or 250 cmh and wonder what the best places to look are.... I need a ballast too but I'm thinking vertical so I hopefully don't need any kind of hood. Thanks for any and all replies. :peace:

Hey Blue I use a 250w CMH. For the ballast just make sure it is a magnetic HPS ballast if you go 250w, or I think a pulse start for 150w or lower?

In regards to the bulb itself, you can order it online or be impatient like me and call up every hydro store in the area. :ganjamon:

The bulbs either come horizontal or vertical so make sure you decide how you are going to grow before you purchase it.

:peace:

Marley

Hey Blue I use a 250w CMH. For the ballast just make sure it is a magnetic HPS ballast if you go 250w, or I think a pulse start for 150w or lower?

In regards to the bulb itself, you can order it online or be impatient like me and call up every hydro store in the area. :ganjamon:

The bulbs either come horizontal or vertical so make sure you decide how you are going to grow before you purchase it.

:peace:

Marley

Let me chime in with it needing to be a magnetic hps ballast. With your space, you just go with a 400W. The cost is only about $5 more.

Can You go lights on 12/12 at night without advertising to the whole 'hood?
That way their coldest period would be during the day where they would get some solar love. Another shot of her GiftWrapped, note the bow.
GiftedWrapped.jpg

G8R, thanx a googleplex for the linx, will check them out L8R, if you don't want me posting pix here, lemme gno.

b

I've always run my lights at night, 12/12 usually from 17:00 to 05:00. It just doesn't make sense to do so otherwise in this clime, plus it's nice to have them come on around the time I get home from work.

The shed is interlocking aluminum panels with 2" x 2" framing. A little weatherstripping around the door and some foil tape along the roof-wall junction made it completely light-tight. I don't think bugs like aluminum very much either, because the same sized steel shed I had in the same location was filled with bugs and spiderwebs, including several black widows, but this aluminum shed has been almost pest-free in comparison.

nice bow there Santa ;)

I wouldn't appreciate the bugs part, but spiders keep pests away - and black widows probably even the human variety, lol.

Back
Top Bottom